C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

CLS63 won't start

Old 03-20-2018, 01:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK500 (2002)
CLS63 won't start

Just wondering if anyone on here can help, I've got a CLS63 2008, always run fine, yesterday I came out to start it and it wouldn't turn over, a very slight split-second attempt at turning the stater was heard, then nothing, not even clicks from the motor, maybe a very quiet whirr when trying to start but I'm not sure if this is the starter or something else, it's very quiet if so. Everything on the ignition panel lights up but the starter doesn't turn, the lights don't dim when attempting to crank either (would this suggest the motor is not even attempting to turn?) car is in park, battery has been jumped several times and reads at 14 volts and above.
The starter had been making a click/clank sound when starting lately, especially when a warm start, I'm wondering if this could have finally gone? I've checked the fuse for it which looks fine, any ideas? Anyone had a stater go out on one of these?
I can't even see where the starter is :/ is it an enormous job of it's the starter?
The problem is also, it can't be driven onto a tow truck to a garage either and is on my gravel drive. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:34 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2011 CLS63 AMG
Hey Five,

Def sounds like an issue down at the starter to me. If the starter has been making funky noises for awhile, it may have just given up the ghost. Or, it could be one of the cable connections going to the starter has come loose, and arced itself into oblivion. If the cable was loose at all, the resistance in the circuit REALLY goes up - (HUGE amperage going through that thing, and it needs to be a SOLID connection). It can build enough resistance to melt the cable, or arc at a connection and totally block the current needed to get the starter to turn.

Either way, I don't think it's going to be a cheap fix, and unless you have some serious toolage in your garage...its going to need to go to the shop. somehow
Old 03-21-2018, 04:49 PM

CLK500 (2002)
Thanks very much for the reply, it certainly seems odd that it was running fine when I shut it off and then the next day it wouldn't even turn over.
the noise was usually on hot starts like a clank and often a knock sound when cranking.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:14 PM

CLK500 (2002)
Update: fixed, I managed to get underneath it today with a trolley jack and axle stands, much squeezing and such. Upon removing the undertrays, I located the starter and discovered the nut to a small wire on the starter was slightly loose, soon as I tightened it with a 10mm socket and turned the key, she roared into life.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:15 PM

Received 79 Likes on 74 Posts
CLS55
Thanks for the update. Glad you got it fized and some solid advice from rob.
Old 03-26-2018, 12:47 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2011 CLS63 AMG
Congrats on congratulations on getting under there and looking around man! Sometimes getting dirty pays off...

cheers