C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Straight pipe or X pipe?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 11:01 PM

Received 79 Likes on 74 Posts
CLS55
Let me know if you want any help assessing mods, I've done a lot of research and have been fiending these forums for 3 years hehe..
Old 08-31-2018, 12:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz Cls55 AMG
Originally Posted by PieRat
This guy was having issues with his collapsing from the vacuum the supercharger created above 5000rpm. https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ml#post7540003 Keep in mind his wasn't a needwings it was FTP.

They've been proven to not add HP when people have tested them in the past and in some cases the performance intakes have caused reduced HP.. They do make your supercharger whine a lot more noticeable from what I can tell.

Maybe see if they will refund you or let you put it toward something else, like their killer chiller..

A LSD is Limited Slip Differential. A differential is what transfers the power from the drive shaft (coming out of the transmission) and splits it to the two rear wheels. Now the problem with CLS55 without performance package is they don't have a limited slip one, meaning that the power goes down the path of least resistance. Basically if a rear wheel loses grip and spins, all the power goes to that wheel, causing it to spin more and the other wheel to get no power. If you have a limited slip diff it makes it so the power is evenly split between the two wheels at all times (more or less).
From reading the entire thread I think that brand name intake and cheap parts was the problem causing there issues. I’ve read nothing but good reviews on the needswings Intakes for our cls55amg and E55 amg etc
Old 08-31-2018, 12:31 AM

Mercedes Benz Cls55 AMG
Let me know if you want any help assessing mods, I've done a lot of research and have been fiending these forums for 3 years hehe..
i do have a few questions on how to order the mbh headers.
Old 08-31-2018, 01:13 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts
C63, SL55, E55, CLS55, ML63, C55
Originally Posted by Joey213

i do have a few questions on how to order the mbh headers.
Ask away
Old 09-01-2018, 09:47 PM

Mercedes Benz Cls55 AMG
Originally Posted by MBH motorsports
Ask away
mbh LT headers will increase 40+ HP and 10+ HP with midsection and X pipe? So that’s about 50 HP with that combination. Is it really worth it ordering with mid section and x pipe? If not then I will save my self about a 1000$

do the headers have a place for the O2 sensors to be installed? I am trying to avoid a tune.

Also how good and durable are your high flow cats? I live in California so I will definitely be needing those.

Old 09-01-2018, 09:53 PM

CLS55
Youd just hook up the headers to your existing x pipe if you got that installed. The hp gain has already been had by removing the secondary cats.

You need a tune if you get headers. Longtubes need o2 extenders AFAIK.

Old 09-01-2018, 10:31 PM

Mercedes Benz Cls55 AMG
Youd just hook up the headers to your existing x pipe if you got that installed. The hp gain has already been had by removing the secondary cats.

You need a tune if you get headers. Longtubes need o2 extenders AFAIK.
ill just go ahead and order the headers then without mid section and x pipe.

my car still has the stock H pipe in place.

What kind of tune will I be needing? Like a Dyno tune?
Old 09-01-2018, 10:48 PM

CLS55
you can get the tune mailed to you or you can get a dyno tune.

advantage of a mail tune is that you can add mods and theyll give you a new tune for 40 bucks so you dont need to pay for a dyno tune everytime you do something to the car.

i got mine mailed then went to a dyno for a power run (not a tune) just to make sure AFRs (air fuel ratio) were good.

MBH headers are good but expensive. An option is to go midlength headers which are a lot cheaper ( you can buy on sale liw as 550) and then put the savings into other mods like cooling, pullies etc. Keep in mind a header job is 8 hours of labor maybe longer if a shop does it for you..

If you plan to put on the headers then call it a day MBH will give best power.

oh if you do order MBH use the 10% off code for labor weekend at checkout "labor" is the code..
Old 09-01-2018, 11:11 PM

Mercedes Benz Cls55 AMG
you can get the tune mailed to you or you can get a dyno tune.

advantage of a mail tune is that you can add mods and theyll give you a new tune for 40 bucks so you dont need to pay for a dyno tune everytime you do something to the car.

i got mine mailed then went to a dyno for a power run (not a tune) just to make sure AFRs (air fuel ratio) were good.

MBH headers are good but expensive. An option is to go midlength headers which are a lot cheaper ( you can buy on sale liw as 550) and then put the savings into other mods like cooling, pullies etc. Keep in mind a header job is 8 hours of labor maybe longer if a shop does it for you..

If you plan to put on the headers then call it a day MBH will give best power.

oh if you do order MBH use the 10% off code for labor weekend at checkout "labor" is the code..
so mbh will provide tune via email? How does that work?

Yes i am already set to order the mbh headers. Can you please link me to the o2 extenders that I will be needing? This will help turn off the engine light on correct? Or will keep it from turning on?

i have the Renntech R1 package tune on my car.(I.C Pump, crank shaft pulley, and ecu tune) That’s as far as I’ll go with engine mods for now and I’ll be focusing on the headers for now and intake because I already ordered that also.

8 hours? Damn. How much is that for labor? I’m guessing like 600 bucks?
Old 09-02-2018, 07:54 AM

CLS55
You need to get a tune from a tuning company, AFAIK MBH dont sell them. Email jerry@eurocharged.com and PM forum member Shardul asking for their best price and go wirh who whose cheapest, shardul onsells jerrys tunes and can maybe do cheaper deals. Probably 2 or 3 hundred for a tune..

Alternatively you could get a dyno tune once the headers are in as its your last mod and dyno tune is safest generally. I think jerry and Anthony Lawshee from raceiq do travel a bit so they might head your way some time soon.

I think you need to extend your downstream (secondary) cables with longtubes if your putting cats in for emissions in CA. Basically the car samples o2 directly out of the engine then again after the primary cat. When you install headers these primary cats are removed so you need to add new ones in after the holes in the longtube for the primary sensors to go in, by adding the cats and the secondaries you would avoid a CEL. My setup has no cats so my secondaries are turned off coz theyd see the same data as primary if that makes sense.

heres some post from another thread that might help.

If you're installing high flow cats plan on extending the wiring harnesses of your two downstream O2 sensors. When you're in there working with the O2 sensors, keep in mind that the sensors with the black connector plugs are the upstream sensors, while the sensors with the dark tan colored wiring plugs are the downstream sensors. Don't reverse them during the install. If you need to extend the downstream sensors, by all means use the Bosch 15733 universal sensor kits, which have excellent connectors designed specifically for splicing into the existing wiring harnesses. You'll need two kits to extend both sensors.

Old 09-08-2018, 05:44 PM

CLS55
Did a wee cold start vid myself hehehe..

Old 09-09-2018, 08:14 AM

Mercedes Benz Cls55 AMG
Did a wee cold start vid myself hehehe..

https://youtu.be/1JsKcanUuHg
sounds low and mean. Taking out the mufflers brings out the beast within have you considered it?