C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Screeching Squealing Window Solve!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 CLS 550 AMG Diamond White Edition, 2008 CLS 550, 2015 Duramax 2500 CCSB
Screeching Squealing Window Solve!!

STOP!!!!! DO NOT BUY THAT REGULATOR! I have two 2008 CLS', one an AMG the other not. Both cars started doing the same thing on both front row windows. Dealer wanted about $1000 to repair it and they said the only way was to replace the regulator. Went to independent shop, and they tried twice to solve it - told me it was caused by everything from the window tinting to the exterior trim. NOT THE CASE. Once I figured it out, I did a controlled test on both cars to prove to myself I figured out the hack. Here it is.

Took a can of garage door lithium penetrating grease. On both cars, I started at the doorjamb end of the regulator and lubricated the cable and the pulley. Kept taking it apart and doing this one by one moving forward in the door. The regulator is essentially a sissor type of frame that sissors up and down by pulling the cable or releasing the cable. This is not a pertinent point other then to make this comment - when I got to the front of the door behind the speaker, both the cable and the pulley had a very minute amount of surface rust. I found my culprit!

Both cars would start the screeching at about 83 degrees F so I waited until a 98 degree humid as heck day, and sat both cars in the sun. Waiting until peak heat in the afternoon and both cars were squealing like stuck pigs. Tore off the tore panel, lubricated both the cable and the pulley and INSTANT QUIET!

Find the pulley and cable in your model and the one showing signs of rust is your culprit. In my case, $4K of dealer work avoided. You are welcome - I am talking to those of you whith a screeching window. You know who you are.