Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz AMG Vehicles > CLS55 AMG, CLS63 AMG (W219, W218) > W219
My White 2006 CLS 55 AMG Build Thread >

My White 2006 CLS 55 AMG Build Thread

Notices
W219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 02-06-2019, 08:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS55 AMG

Hello, newish owner of a white 2006 CLS 55 AMG. Picked it up back in November with about 95k on the odometer. I don't have any pictures yet but figured I'd start a thread to document everything I've done so far to the car in case new buyers are interested in what to expect as these cars become more affordable.

When I picked up the car this was the list of issues I found after a pre-purchase inspection thanks to Eurocharged Austin:
Items fixed:
Dead intercooler pump (replaced with Bosch unit)
Trunk motor and controller were broken (replaced with used motor and controller)
Suspension bushings were shot (replaced all bushings and related components)
SBC pump failed (replaced under extended Mercedes warranty)
Gas tank leak (replaced under extended Mercedes warranty)
Transmission needed service (did service and 13 pin connecter)
Transmission mount was bad (replaced with new unit)
Driver and passenger window regulators failed (replaced with new window regulators)

Not fixed yet:
Active headlight inoperable warning, due to bad motor in passenger headlamp
Leaking rear struts, ok for now but will be replacing with Bilstiens when that time comes
Flex disc could be replaced, ok for now
Slight leak in rear main seal, can hold off for now
Sunroof wind buffer is broken, won't pop up

Upgrades:
Large Eurocharged heat exchanger
Eurocharged 83mm supercharger pully
Eurochaged ECU tune
Replica AMG 507 wheels 19x8.5 front, 19x9.5 rear

Future:
American Racing long tube headers with 200 cell cats
Eurocharged ECU re-tune
Single fin grill (maybe)
Lighter wheels that sit more flush, thinking 19x9 front and 19x10-11 rear but haven't figured out what offsets I'll need to make that work

As it sits now it is putting down 453 HP and 521TQ on a Dynojet dyno at Eurocharged Austin. I've been lucky to get between 18-19mpg with a mix of highway and some city but I don't really get on it too often. I miss not having bluetooth but luckily the car had an aux input so I just use the phone to play Spotify through that. So far its been my daily driver and day trip car and to that regard it has been fantastic. Hopefully I can start getting away from the repair work so I can finish adding the go fast parts.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK500, ML55, CLS55, Carrera
Sounds Great. Keep up the good work. Post pics when you get a chance. Im driving a white one too.

Im considering 19 rims too. Currently running 20s & Im sure theyre crazy heavy.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:10 PM

CLS55 AMG
Just a quick update.

Picked up a BlueDriver ODB2 bluetooth scanner and started monitoring boost and IATs. In the 90 degree heat I've noticed that I'm usually around 18-19 degrees over ambient. I had an 8 second pull that got IATs up to 137 and it took about 1 minute to get the IATs back down to 109.

If anyone is wondering the BlueDriver ODB2 scanner DOES NOT work with the Torque App so don't bother paying for the Torque App like I did. That was a bit of a bummer.

Hopefully in the next 3 weeks I will be getting some American Racing long tube headers with cats, 550 injectors, 1 step colder plugs, wires, and tune installed by Eurocharged ATX. I asked to get a before and after dyno pull to see how much the headers add to my current set up. This is likely my last power mod and an attempt to help address the heat over the summer since the headers should help lower the boost a tad.

I'm also posting the dyno chart of my car shortly after getting the 83mm pulley, heat exchanger, and tune

Old 05-21-2019, 08:19 PM

CLS55 AMG
I also forgot to mention with the 83mm pulley I'm seeing almost 25 PSI of boost at wide open throttle and usually about 3-4 PSI of boost on light throttle or just idling. This seems a little odd. Has anyone else noticed that?
Old 05-22-2019, 07:10 AM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
CLS55
You need to deduct 14.7 psi (ambient atmosphere air pressure) from your reading. There should be a setting on your logging app to toggle it or you can put the value in yourself.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:21 PM

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by PieRat View Post
You need to deduct 14.7 psi (ambient atmosphere air pressure) from your reading. There should be a setting on your logging app to toggle it or you can put the value in yourself.
Thanks for the info. I looked up the atmospheric pressure where I live and it was about 14.65 psi. Deducting that from my logged high pressure of 25.5 psi, I'm looking at about 10.85 psi of boost with the 83mm pulley. Looking at some of the posted pulley boost charts in the E55 forums, that seems like the boost is low for that pulley. I'll go out and make another pull or two to get closer to redline and see what boost I get there.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:51 PM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
CLS55
Peak boost occurs during 3rd gear I believe so you'll need to rev out that gear to get your best reading. Those charts are good for comparison but there is plenty of variables at play, charge air temperature, belt slip, altitude to name a few..
Old 05-25-2019, 07:57 PM

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
E55 amg
Why you getting colder plugs?? 98% you will need them as these cars run perfect with stock one's.Colder plugs are needed when the heat range is needed to step it colder as it have issues with melt or blow out. ..Many get colder plugs cause others think they need as it's becoming a urban myth of he said she said rumor's. These cars fyi got 2 plugs per cylinder which it create as more efficient complete burning plug ..
Old 05-25-2019, 10:01 PM

CLS55 AMG
The plugs were recommended as added insurance with the mods I'm running and especially dealing with the heat of a Texas summer. I didn't think there was that much of a downside with running the colder plugs.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 76 Likes on 75 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
You probably know this already, but the ecu starts pulling timing at 95*