Help Needed Please!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 07:33 PM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
2006 E55 AMG/1996 C36 AMG/1999 C43/55 AMG
Help Needed Please!

Hi Guys,

Long time member and owner of two 1996 C36's and two 1999 C43's. I'm about to pull the trigger and purchase a two owner/no accidents/all service history CLS55 with a low 94K Kms for $15K CAD. It's obsidian black with cashmere beige interior and high gloss laurel trim. The car has never seen rain or snow.

I'm familiar with the older AMG's having factory rolled lips on the fenders and quarters but can someone confirm that this is the same on the CLS55. They all appear to be factory rolled but the passenger front fender appears to be a little different front the driver's side. Is there anything about these cars other than the air suspension, that I should be paying close attention to? Any and all help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers
Old 06-08-2019, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
Many things. These are $100,000 cars. If you can't work on it you will need a couple grand to catch up on the maintenance, plus a few more in the bank for insurance in case something breaks. Crawl under the front and check the way inside edges of the front tires closely. If you drive a lot you will have to address the wear. Do some searching on the E55 forum. Same car, different body style. Then buy it anyway because it's worth it. If you can or are willing to work on it, that's even better. The purchase price is just silly. many guys spend more than that on maintenance and upgrades. A decent set of tires will run about $1200.
Old 06-08-2019, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by StarvingArtist
Many things. These are $100,000 cars. If you can't work on it you will need a couple grand to catch up on the maintenance, plus a few more in the bank for insurance in case something breaks. Crawl under the front and check the way inside edges of the front tires closely. If you drive a lot you will have to address the wear. Do some searching on the E55 forum. Same car, different body style. Then buy it anyway because it's worth it. If you can or are willing to work on it, that's even better. The purchase price is just silly. many guys spend more than that on maintenance and upgrades. A decent set of tires will run about $1200.
Thx SA! I can definitely do all work necessary on the vehicle and that is not of a concern to me. Although the car doesn't have the factory wheels/tires, the owner just purchased a set of 20" ADV1 with new all season tires as well as a brand new set of summer tires.

Are the fender/quarter panel lips in fact, factory rolled and beaded? Thx

Last edited by nkctb7; 06-08-2019 at 08:36 PM.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
Not entirely sure. Don't think I've ever seen it done. Research before you do anything to it. There are many tricks and surprises in a car at this level. For instance if you wake up the car while doing the brakes, they can smash your fingers.
I spent 45 minutes trying to plug in the wire that was loose on the back of the headlight once. It was loose because they automatically unplug when you twist the igniter thing and you have to put the igniter thing back in first so you can't turn the headlights on and get shocked...like I managed to do after moving the catch with a screwdriver and plugging it in. There's ways to mess up your electrical system too. Check the health of both batteries when you get it.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:36 PM

Not entirely sure. Don't think I've ever seen it done. Research before you do anything to it. There are many tricks and surprises in a car at this level. For instance if you wake up the car while doing the brakes, they can smash your fingers.
I spent 45 minutes trying to plug in the wire that was loose on the back of the headlight once. It was loose because they automatically unplug when you twist the igniter thing and you have to put the igniter thing back in first so you can't turn the headlights on and get shocked...like I managed to do after moving the catch with a screwdriver and plugging it in. There's ways to mess up your electrical system too. Check the health of both batteries when you get it.
Thank you for the heads up SA! Your advice is greatly appreciated! I watched a video a few days ago about the brakes and possibly crushing your hand if you're not aware of the system. I've been researching the w211 E55 and W219 CLS55 for a few months now and there's much to learn when compared to the older AMG's.

One thing that I noticed about every CLS55 video and car that I've looked at is the fact that the front doors make an odd but brief squeal upon opening them. I'm assuming that it may be due to the frameless windows and the weather stripping but not entirely certain.

Do you happen to know what the option codes VL (front axle half, left) and VR (front axle half, right) are? As far as I know, all CLS55's are rear wheel drive only and not available in 4matic. Correct? I checked another VIN # and those codes do not show up. Thx
Old 06-09-2019, 08:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
The windows are suppose to instantly drop down a bit when you pull the door handle, then go back up one second after the door is closed. Are they doing that?
As for the half axle, the only thing I can think of is the performance package has different spindles for 380mm brakes. Do you have the code p030 performance package?
Old 06-09-2019, 12:18 PM

The windows are suppose to instantly drop down a bit when you pull the door handle, then go back up one second after the door is closed. Are they doing that?
As for the half axle, the only thing I can think of is the performance package has different spindles for 380mm brakes. Do you have the code p030 performance package?
Hi SA.

I thought of that but it has the collapsing spare and full leather steering wheel. So definitely no performance package. Thx