Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

load rating on tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 11:04 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
load rating on tires

How important is it to use the same load ratings as MB recommends (91 vs something less)? I ask because I need tires for a stock 2002 C230K and many of the tires I examine have a load rating of less than 91. Thanks.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:10 AM
Almost a Member!

2006 MB
Talking

Originally Posted by tcmo
How important is it to use the same load ratings as MB recommends (91 vs something less)? I ask because I need tires for a stock 2002 C230K and many of the tires I examine have a load rating of less than 91. Thanks.

IMO - It's best to seach out tires with the same or greater load ratings, as it plays into more than just how much weight you are putting in your car.

Yes, you could go with less and maybe never have an issue.. but why? Are you working within a budget or are you just not finding what you need?

I'd be happy to try and find the tires you need if you want to PM me... LMK

Steve
Old 04-18-2006, 12:46 PM
Almost a Member!

Thanks for the answer. Not really a budget problem. I just wanted to know because some tires are rated highly on traction, etc but with a lower than 91 load rating. I will not use less than 91 on the car.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:58 AM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
The Facts:

A P-Metric tires max load is achieved at 35 psi and a Euro metric tires max load is achieved at 36 psi adding more air pressure will not increase the tires load capacity but, lowering it will reduce the load carrying ablility. When increasing pressure all you are accomplishing is a lower rolling resistance, quicker steering response, stiffer ride and contact patch reduction.

Based on a c230:
the OE tire is a 205/55-16 89V
max load capacity is 1312 lbs.
load capacity at recommended pressure (which we will call PLC for placard load capacity at 28psi) = 1138 lbs.

so, the minimum load capacity for a c230 is 1138 lbs. according to the PLC

now lets consider the idea of running a capacity that is too low .... what happens:
the tire is put into a condition where it can support the car at a static rest point but, when driven aggressively the sidewalls are so over worked they can not properly control the contact patch of the tire allowing for excessive sidewall roll-over, irregular wear, tread block and contact patch flex which robs the tires performance ability and grip. also the added flexing of the tire will increase the heat it generates which can make a tire feel really slippery ....

A good way to understand this is: let's say I just put a 100lb. back pack on you .... you can stand there for quite a while (that's your car sitting in a parking lot) now go run up and down some stairs with that back pack .... that's normal driving and you can't do that very well, nearly as fast or for very long before your legs give out .... after you've recovered enough to walk (let the car rest once you arrive at the venue for your autoX), take a 500 meter sprint through deep sand, that's your autoX and you will most likely not make it to the finish without falling atleast once if you can finish at all.

so, with all that said you can run an 89 load index since the load capacity of that tire would be 1157 @ 29psi