Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Can I use these wheels on an earlier SL? (Help)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2003, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I use these wheels on an earlier SL? (Help)

Hello all,

I'm picking up my first Mercedes on Saturday which is also my first convertible. I can't wait!

I wanted to purchase wheels that looked more appropriate as the PO installed wire knockoffs. I found wheels that I'd love to put on, however, I'm not sure if I can install. I believe I can use with spacers but I'm not 100% sure. Can anyone advise on fitment? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Rick

The car I've purchased is an '85 380 SL (107). The wheel I'd like to fit is as described.......

set of 4 16x8 Mercedes wheels off of the SL series SIZE: 16 x 8 LUGS: 5-lug BOLT PATTERN: 112mm OFFSET: 34 FINISH: Silver Painted Finish FITS: 300SL, 500SL and 600SL ~ 129 Body Style 1991 – 1997 and ALL 126 body (with thin spacer)

Last edited by Rick_NJ; 03-03-2003 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes
I hope you got your question answered. The short answer is yes. The bolt pattern would will match but the offset is incorrect and makes me thing the wheels are for a front wheel driven car. It will need spacers.
Be aware that both the size and the offset would give a racer pause but for street use, it's not a big deal if you are not cornering hard. Both of these put an additional strain on suspension parts by effecting the geometry via the intended use.
You'll probably rub up front. In addition, performance and handling will be affected.

Good link: http://www.mbca.org/forum/upgrading-...odels-will-fit

Last edited by unavita; 09-08-2013 at 10:25 AM.