Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

continential tire warranty - cracks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
continential tire warranty - cracks

hi all,

i bot a used car w/ decent tread Continental Sport Contact 3 tires on them.
however, upon close inspection i noticed that there's cracks in them - inside, outside, and even on the patch.
is there any warranty on the tire, or do i need to be the original owner and/or have receipt? given the near full tread, wouldn't this be evidence these tires are defective(possibly from them being exposed to cold weather last winter?)
thx...would really appreciate everyone's input.

PL
Old 01-07-2011, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 CLS500, 04 Tahoe, 04 Infiniti G35 Sedan, Boeing 737
Best thing to do is look for the manufacture date on the tires, or have a tire dealer show you where it is. Its coded. You may be surprised to see when your tires were actually made. I bought a set of Bridgestones for a car once and those tires were already over a year old when installed. But they were still "new" as far as the dealer was concerned. Sat in a warehouse for a long time.....

Good luck.

Jeff
Old 01-07-2011, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
I think I may be SOL on this, esp as I'm not the original purchaser and do not have a receipt. I'm going to chalk this up to good lesson - I think these summer tires were driven in the cold weather/snow by prior owner, that probably explained the deterioration despite the good tread left. So buying all-weather is NOT just for better traction, but also to prevent summer tires from cracking.
PL
Old 01-07-2011, 10:58 AM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
unfortunately you are most likely out of luck as tire warranties are not transferable
Old 01-07-2011, 11:05 AM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
Originally Posted by bzliteyear
I think I may be SOL on this, esp as I'm not the original purchaser and do not have a receipt. I'm going to chalk this up to good lesson - I think these summer tires were driven in the cold weather/snow by prior owner, that probably explained the deterioration despite the good tread left. So buying all-weather is NOT just for better traction, but also to prevent summer tires from cracking.
PL
Also, you'd be surprised how good some of the modern all-seasons are. A lot of my GTR clients were consistently quicker on all-seasons.