Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

TPMS for reverse mount rims

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 11:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK320, ML550, SL55, GL450
TPMS for reverse mount rims

Hey all..

Got a question about installing a TPMS sensor on a reverse mount rim/tire.
Is there any sensors that will work for this application that will work with mercedes cars?

If not.. if you guys used your stock TPMS sensors, how did you adjust the sensor so that the stem is positioned correctly?

Thanks!
Old 05-20-2011, 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 323 Posts
Only MBs - the best or nothing
Very good question.

Luke, can you answer this, please? I'm sure a lot of people would like to know.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:16 AM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
TPMS sensors can be installed on reverse mount styled wheels with no issues providing the drop center is designed and located correctly. The problem many people run into with the older designs of reverse mount wheels is that the drop center is closer to the inboard lip
Old 05-20-2011, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS63
That is a good question. There isn't necessarily a "correct" position for the TPMS sensor, as long as it's attached to the wheel it will work properly. If it won't mount at the same angle as it does on the OE wheels you can either purchase a strap kit which attaches it to the outside of the wheel, or a good wheel shop can drill a proper hole for it to mount in. Without seeing the wheel I couldn't tell you if option number 2 is able to happen. If you need further help, post a picture of the backside of the wheel and I can show you what to do. I hope this helps you.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:49 AM
TR Moderator & Tire God

depends on the weather
there is a "correct" position and angle for the TPMS sensor and many of the sensors use the valve stem as an antenna to transmit the signal. So, as you can imagine, in some cases the "strap" mounting method is not very effective. We have seen many attempted solutions to retrofit wheels improperly designed with varying levels of success.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:18 PM

CLS63
You are referring to TPMS sensors in general right? When you speak of the antenna thing, that does apply to some applications but Mercedes Benz has always been very friendly to work with in terms of the sensors. As you should know Luke, HRE even provides special valve stem that have accomodations for the TPMS sensors on the outside of the wheel. Whether it's strapped with a kit or attached with a bracket, bottom line is that the sensor still works. There's clearly no substitute for mounting it in the proper location on the wheel though, that's still always the best.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:35 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

depends on the weather
All of HRE monoblock designs are TPMS compatible. On their three piece wheels that use a 90 degree valve stem they use a bracket bolted to the inner barrel of the wheel that the OE valve would go through to mount the sensor. The valve adapter you are talking proved to be very ineffective. The sensors hung too low and would get broken off or damaged

Last edited by Luke@tirerack; 05-20-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:45 PM

CLS63
I'm not speaking of a valve adapter, i am speaking of the 90 degree stems with the loop that the sensor mounts into...which in essence isn't any different than it being strapped to the wheel. I've never been a fan of the strap system but for somebody who doesn't have the option of the HRE stem solution, it will work equally as well. that's all I'm saying, I'm not doubting you I'm just telling you that the MBZ sensors don't have to be mounted in the stem location like some do.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:48 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

depends on the weather
HRE doesn't use that valve design you are referring to

Originally Posted by Luke@tirerack
The valve adapter you are talking proved to be very ineffective. The sensors hung too low and would get broken off or damaged
here's a picture of their new design for their three piece wheels ... and yes, I agree with you that the mercedes vehicles are less prone to weak TPMS signal issues than some other vehicles. I think they have a stronger receiver in the onbaord electronics than most other marques

Last edited by Luke@tirerack; 05-20-2011 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK320, ML550, SL55, GL450
Luke

Thanks for your input and pictures, you are definitely an asset to our community and appreciated.

My rims in question are older (Maya DTR) and the hole is nearer to the middle of the barrel, on a relatively flat section.

From your picture above, it looks like my installer should be placing the sensor just as pictured immediately above.. and then use a "L" adapter piece to put the stem valve through the hole?

(I think the my aftermarket sensor, will result in having the valve pointing outwards towards the tire, not inwards as in your picture)

My installer is thinking about using a band or duct tape to position the sensor (not using the original sensor adhesion pad as he'll be positioning the sensor on its edge).... he's not sure and is still searching for other solutions.

Edit: I decided in the end to not install the TPMS... too much involved and I don't want to drill another hole into the rim. Thanks all again for the input.

Last edited by B-tsai; 05-21-2011 at 12:27 AM.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:15 AM

c300
me too id rather do without sensor.