Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Is it common to need to rebalance wheels?

Old 06-23-2011, 08:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK320, ML550, SL55, GL450
Is it common to need to rebalance wheels?

Sup all

I found that I needed to rebalance my new tire/rim combo after about 3 weeks of buying and installing them. (They are brand new rims and tires).

Is this common? I mean, is it common to need to rebalance a new wheel/tire combo?

The installer (same as the original installer) said that it happens sometimes as they use a lot of lube to get the tires on the wheels (my wheels are 20x10" and have a chrome lip.. I installed 295/40/20 tires)

The installer said that since my ML550 has a lot of power, likely, the tires rotated on the wheels due to the torque and the lube.. and as such, they became unbalanced. He also said that since the lube is worn off now, it should not need rebalancing.

I'm asking because I'm needing to pay for the rebalancing.. (they're charging me $50 for the rebalancing).

Thanks in advance for the confirmation and advice!
Old 07-08-2011, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 infi g35
If the shop was using high quality balancing equipment like Hunter then you shouldn't really need the tires rebalanced that quickly.

Now, if you hit a pot hole at high speed or curb then sure the tires could be knocked off balance.

Generally, shops offer some kind of balancing guarantee esp. for work done under a month. I'm surprised they are charging you. Almost get the feeling that the shop is taking you for a ride.

Not sure where you live, but I'd say consider other reputable shops in the area especially ones that offer guarantees of some sort on their service. You have obviously dropped a lot of money on the wheels/tires so should expect a better job of installation! Also, did this shop offer or provide Road Force Balancing?

Originally Posted by B-tsai
Sup all

I found that I needed to rebalance my new tire/rim combo after about 3 weeks of buying and installing them. (They are brand new rims and tires).

Is this common? I mean, is it common to need to rebalance a new wheel/tire combo?

The installer (same as the original installer) said that it happens sometimes as they use a lot of lube to get the tires on the wheels (my wheels are 20x10" and have a chrome lip.. I installed 295/40/20 tires)

The installer said that since my ML550 has a lot of power, likely, the tires rotated on the wheels due to the torque and the lube.. and as such, they became unbalanced. He also said that since the lube is worn off now, it should not need rebalancing.

I'm asking because I'm needing to pay for the rebalancing.. (they're charging me $50 for the rebalancing).

Thanks in advance for the confirmation and advice!
Old 07-12-2011, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 CLK350 -SOLD! 2010 Cadillac SRX Premium Turbo
I would just get them checked again at the place you originally had it done.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by carenthusiast
If the shop was using high quality balancing equipment like Hunter then you shouldn't really need the tires rebalanced that quickly.

Now, if you hit a pot hole at high speed or curb then sure the tires could be knocked off balance.

Generally, shops offer some kind of balancing guarantee esp. for work done under a month. I'm surprised they are charging you. Almost get the feeling that the shop is taking you for a ride.

Not sure where you live, but I'd say consider other reputable shops in the area especially ones that offer guarantees of some sort on their service. You have obviously dropped a lot of money on the wheels/tires so should expect a better job of installation! Also, did this shop offer or provide Road Force Balancing?

Yeah, they used the corghi? machines.
All 4 wheels were very off balance, hence I'm pretty sure its not from hitting anything.
Road force.. probably not, wasn't anything I was offered.

Looks like I'll be taking my business elsewhere in the future... thanks for the confirmation!
Old 07-13-2011, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mka77
I would just get them checked again at the place you originally had it done.
Yup, I did... that's the problem
Old 07-13-2011, 03:11 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
it does happen but, not often. You could lose a wheel weight by hitting a pot hole or move the tire on the wheel by heavy braking or acceleration before the lubrication evaporates. In some cases the balancer needs to be recalibrated but, you would feel that immediately