Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

New break pads worn out with in 9k miles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 ML550, 07 SL55 AMG
New break pads worn out with in 9k miles

I’m theoriginal owner of a 2008 ML550. 12 months ago at 48k miles I replaced the front break pads. Today at 58k miles I’m being told by the same dealer who installed the front break pads that I need to replace the front rotors and require new break pads. They say the front break pads are worn out 75%. Can the break pads wear out 75% by just driving 9k miles since they were put on? The original breaks lasted 48k miles and my driving habits are the same. So what do you think caused the pads to wear out so quickly? Could it be that the dealer didn’t install the break pads correctly?

Thanks,

Mallique.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:53 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
yes they can wear out that fast but, it is uncommon. The two areas that should be addressed with such rapid wear are

#1.) the brake pads installed ... what were they as friction material varies wildly from low dust ceramics with relatively low co-effcient of friction to race pads which dust so much they can ruin your wheels but, will stop fast enough to suck the spit right out of your mouth and put your passenger's forehead into the dash.

#2.) are the rear brakes working properly because while the fronts do approximately 70%- 80% of the braking if thery are now doing 100% of the braking they will wear faster than normal.

I would be more inclined to think #1 was the issue ... bad friction material selection.

Last edited by Luke@tirerack; 01-20-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 ML550, 07 SL55 AMG
Luke,

Are you saying that the dealer may have installed inferior break pads?
Old 01-24-2012, 03:28 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
I have no idea what they installed but, since the first set lasted 48,000 miles and the second lasted 9,000 miles we do know that they were not the same pads