Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

aftermarket wheel makers...comments/reviews

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 E350 Wagon; 2009 328 xi
aftermarket wheel makers...comments/reviews

looking to get a 2nd set of wheels (winter tires) to go with ordered e350 wagon. car is black, want black wheels (contrast with the snow, eh?)

i dont think mercedes has any oem options, so browsing aftermarket options. here is what tirerack offers: http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/resul...rSpecial=false

i like the look of the lorenzos....but most of these brands are new to me. who is quality and who isnt? any particular reviews/comments out there on these manufacturers?

thx.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:54 PM

2013 E350 Wagon, prev 2005 ML 500 SE
wheels

Hi,
I have E350 Wagon on order too.
1. are you sure on 18" wheels? I'm getting the 18" AMG wheels but my winter set is going to be 17" wheels. 17" wheels have bigger rubber sidewall for better bump compliance on those winter ruts, potholes, compacted snow berms, etc.

2. You may want to browse at discounttiredirect.com
I think MB Alpina is a house brand of theirs--seems like a good quality wheel
at a good price. Available in black and the 7 spokes have a couple machined aluminum edges on each spoke for contrast.

3. Where are you located/ what are your winters like?
Are you looking for a full fledged winter snow tire or an all season that has
very good snow capability BUT is quiet and great treadwear?
My MB dealer had some great Michelin snow tires but said if temp gets to 45 degrees F they will chew up the rubber.
I'm getting all seasons.

Keep us posted on what you decide.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by MinnBobber
Hi,
I have E350 Wagon on order too.
1. are you sure on 18" wheels? I'm getting the 18" AMG wheels but my winter set is going to be 17" wheels. 17" wheels have bigger rubber sidewall for better bump compliance on those winter ruts, potholes, compacted snow berms, etc.

2. You may want to browse at discounttiredirect.com
I think MB Alpina is a house brand of theirs--seems like a good quality wheel
at a good price. Available in black and the 7 spokes have a couple machined aluminum edges on each spoke for contrast.

3. Where are you located/ what are your winters like?
Are you looking for a full fledged winter snow tire or an all season that has
very good snow capability BUT is quiet and great treadwear?
My MB dealer had some great Michelin snow tires but said if temp gets to 45 degrees F they will chew up the rubber.
I'm getting all seasons.

Keep us posted on what you decide.
hey

1 - yeah, i am ok with 18s. as long as the aspect ratio isnt too low they'll be good. ive run all season 18s on my current ride for 8 years with no issues.

2 - thanks for tip, will check them out.

3 - yes on winter tires. we are in calgary, where we can get a pile of snow but also a chinook that melts it all and sends us 20 degrees above freezing (to 70 for you farenheit types). however, in the snow or on ice seasons arent even kind of close to winters.

i live on a hilly street and used to have a FWD jetta. in the winter, with all sasons it couldnt even climb up the street if there was new snow. putwinters on? no problem. PLUS (and more importantly) winters give you traction to stop. all seasons just dont, no matter how well theybrate in snow. the rubber will just be too hard.

i look at it this way: AWD (4matic or whatever) can help you start moving but if you need to stop on snow or ice, only winters do that.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:44 PM

Hyundai Genesis Coupe
When I was super new to aftermarket wheels, I got a lot of help from Get Your Wheels. Not sure if I'm allowed to post links up in here, but their website is getyourwheels.com. If you talk to Eric, he is super knowledgeable on wheel brands, quality, and what's best for you. He spent a good amount of time helping me out with my first set of wheel without trying to push me to make a sale.

My only concern with black wheels is that the finish may get damaged over time. Snow, salts, loose asphalt, etc. Make sure you get a wheel that has a painted black finish over powdercoat.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by ScottChu
When I was super new to aftermarket wheels, I got a lot of help from Get Your Wheels. Not sure if I'm allowed to post links up in here, but their website is getyourwheels.com. If you talk to Eric, he is super knowledgeable on wheel brands, quality, and what's best for you. He spent a good amount of time helping me out with my first set of wheel without trying to push me to make a sale.

My only concern with black wheels is that the finish may get damaged over time. Snow, salts, loose asphalt, etc. Make sure you get a wheel that has a painted black finish over powdercoat.
good advice. thanks.