Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

ABC Tandem Pump - Red ABC Drive Carefully

Old 04-24-2013, 07:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 Mercedes SL55
Exclamation ABC Tandem Pump - Red ABC Drive Carefully

I have a 2003 Mercedes SL55 with ABC Problems

December 2012

- I received the white ABC Drive Carefully warning and right away connected the DAS to the car for a full diagnostics. After, conducting a full diagnostics (RODEO) I noticed that the pressure dropped below 100 bar.

- The car was not leaning. I drive the car almost everyday therefore it never is parked for the long term leaning to occur as I have read on the forum.

- The white warning light would go off and come back on intermittently.

January 2013

- I ordered a refurbished pump and replaced it.
- At the same time I rebuilt the valve block
- Put a new filter and ran the RODEO, put in another new filter and ran the RODEO, this process was recommended vs flushing the system and putting new fluid
- Topped of the fluid to reach lowest mark on dipstick on a warm engine.

- Car ran great for about 1k miles

April 2013

- I took a 150 mile trip and the ride was great. Parked the car and when I came back I noticed there was fluid on the ground which looks like it came from the reservoir. I opened the hood and noticed that the level was correct. I started the car and drove it home one mile. Then checked fluid again and it was at the correct mark. However, there was a Red ABC Drive Carefully. Once I came home I connected the DAS software and noticed that the ABC Pressure is 4 bar.

- At this point, I took the stethoscope and noticed that the pump is running with what sounds like normal operation (no abnormal grinding).

- The power steering works well and all of the fluid levels are where they should be based on the engine temperature.

Now, I'm looking for advice please let me know if it could be the pressure sensor. I have been traveling lately and have not had time to work on the car. I'm open for any suggestions which would indicated what the cause of the pressure drop would be?

- I have researched a bit and I'm positive that the pump did not run dry and the system is fully pressurized since the car is not dropping/leaning.

Could it be a leak in the system where air bubbles are being introduced into the system?

I plan on putting the car on the lift this weekend to take a closer look for leaks and a full inspection of the pressure sensor.

I appreciate any input/advice you might have for me and thank you for reading through my troubles with the ABC System.