Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Airmatic Low on left side

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 12:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 E63 - MBH Headers - Weistec Tune
Airmatic Low on left side

So just started having issues with the airmatic suspension, drops low on left side both front and rear tire, mostly rear. I guess one of them may be an older issue, but I think started at same time. They pump up fine and pretty quickly.

So is that most likely front struts and rear air spring on left? Or can a leaky rear spring on one side affect the front strut too? The rear is more obviously low.

Or is there some place in the air tubing that has a tendency to be a problem. Or are there different pumps for left and right?

My Mercedes guy is on a 2 week trip and I hate to deal with dealer. Can probably ride it out for 2 weeks, but Im also a fairly capable DIY person if need by.

2007 E63

And If I replace the back Air Spring things with Arnott replacements, can you drive it at all before you have a Mercedes computer set it? Im referring to the note in the Arnott intall PDF that says.. " Arnott Air Sprindgs contain a solenoid valve. Only the Mercedes DAS Star Diagnostic computer sofware can inflate the air springs"

Last edited by Morgus; 06-29-2017 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:49 PM

Well, apparently this is common and sometimes difficult... I spent $10 on a great starting point from this guy for a video on how to troubleshoot this...

https://mercedessource.com

Ill report my success or failure once I've followed his advice..
Old 06-30-2017, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
Hi, it could be the height sensor needing some lubrication at one of its joints..
There should be one Airmatic pump.
Check your car's suspension geometry too as it can affect height sensors.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:29 PM

So I've looked at tons of info and videos and feel like an expert. Which means I'll definitely screw up fixing it.
Other wheels are involved and it stayed all the way up all night but dropped all the way down left rear and part way right rear and left front at work today. It pumps up quickly.

But it's looking like the valve block is the most likely issue; no easy way to test it. Almost all the experts say that it's futile to throw parts at this problem until you diagnosed it, and I've been through their diagnostic steps, and then several of them recommend if you do throw money at parts buy the valve block because it's the hardest to test and it's cheap and relatively easy to swap out. The one for the AMG was only about $200

Now the block on the dual control AMG looks a bit different that the usual one that is discussed. It's cheaper too. And I'm not sure that it functions in the same way as the non AMG version.
The following users liked this post:
HopefullyE63 (07-26-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 12:20 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
SL55 CL600 and 335D (rip flood) 325ci
So...? Your car still look like it's throwing switches?
Old 07-26-2017, 07:27 PM

I put a new valve block in first but that wasn't the problem. Then I replaced the rear air springs with Arnott's. Did it in the driveway on jack stands. Took about 3 hours because I was being extra careful but I could do it again in 1.5 Ithink. Worked out fine, ride seems about the same as the original.
The following users liked this post:
HopefullyE63 (07-26-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 10:47 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
SL55 CL600 and 335D (rip flood) 325ci
Really great to know. Any special tools?
Old 07-27-2017, 09:28 AM

I've read that there are ways you can do it without DAS software, but I have that. You can deflate the rear airbags when you cut it away from the central reservoir, and apparently there are ways to reinflated by carefully lowering the car and turning the system on and off multiple times.

10 mm wrench and a 21 mm wrench and a couple of large Allen wrenches.

And on the install video from Arnott they show and say "Dislocate the air spring mount from the vehicle". But then in the next steps in the video that bolt is not really removed, and you don't have to remove it. That's one part of the video that isn't clear but it's also not apparently necessary.