Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

19" AMG Alloy wheels with Summer tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C 300
19" AMG Alloy wheels with Summer tires

Looking to buy a certified 2015 C300 4MATIC with 19" AMG Alloy wheels with Summer high performance Tires. I live in Chicago and worried about the snow in the winter.

Part of the certification process; they put only summer tires? I chatted with MB directly and gave them the VIN# and they said they dont recommend the all weather tires and only summer and winter tires. It simply wasn't designed for it. Tires are tested for approval with our vehicles to ensure optimal performance taking into consideration vehicle handling and ride quality.

Was wondering if it just the policy or it has something to do with performance and safety and if it will hurt the car? Is all weather tires for the 19" AMG safe and will not effect performance? Or will it have notable performance issues?

I know sometimes Factory only approved items are a stretch but wondering if this is one of these issues or truly something to avoid? I just dont want to buy winter and summer and keep changing them.

Last edited by Hussam Alkhatib; 07-27-2017 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-30-2017, 12:56 AM

Received 152 Likes on 132 Posts
2013 GLK350
I did a little research regarding this topic and concluded (in my own opinion) that all season have less traction than winter or summer tires therefore defeating the effectiveness of the 4matic system.

For example, summer tyres are softer and provide better traction and stickiness to the road. All season have increased durability are not as soft and use a different compound that reduces traction. Winter tyres will no doubt out perform all-season because they will still be elastic in cold temperatures or wet surfaces.