Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Widest possible tires on '14 C207 E550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 12:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E550 (C207)
Widest possible tires on '14 C207 E550

Hey all,

I've got a 2014 C207 E550, and I'm looking at fattening the rubber on the back.

Currently I have the stock 18" AMG wheels with 235/40/18 and 255/35/18 F/R respectively. Aside from the compound being garbage H-rated all-seasons from the dealer, the tires are too damn narrow and simply will not hold the sort of power I'm working with over here. Under hard acceleration in third gear, I still get traction problems.

So my question -- what is the widest rear tire fitment on the C207 E550? I'd like to avoid fender lip rolling, and certainly any rubbing, but this thing gets loose like spring break and if I'm going to buy better tires/compound, I'd like to get as big as the car can manage. I'm also kicking around the idea of throwing some Vossen CVTs on it (19" or 20"), so any insight on how wheel diameter may impact max possible width would be awesome.

To preempt any questions regarding why traction is so scarce, dyno sheet: https://i.imgur.com/8EOazsn.jpg

Cheers.
-James
Old 08-13-2017, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 51 Posts
s320
people put wider tires so they can do burnouts.Less weight per square inch on fat tires.Unless they are drag tires with sticky rubber,but they wear out fast on normal roads.
Old 08-13-2017, 04:33 PM

2014 E550 (C207)
Originally Posted by oldsinner111
people put wider tires so they can do burnouts.Less weight per square inch on fat tires.Unless they are drag tires with sticky rubber,but they wear out fast on normal roads.
I'm buying Pilot Super Sports: wide Y-rated tires with a soft, sticky but streetable compound.

You could argue (rightfully) that sizing up in wheel diameter will reduce traction due to less available sidewall for tire deformation. But a wider tire is not so people 'can do burnouts', no. Additionally, lateral stability when cornering will be improved with wider rubber, which is a secondary goal.

None of this really answers my question of how much width these rear fenderwells can actually accommodate without having to roll the fenders or risk rubbing/bottoming out. I've searched the crap out of this and can't find much of anything to go on as most E-Class discussion of the era seems to be W212 and not C/A-207 specific.

Anyone?
Old 07-05-2018, 11:21 AM

2014 E550 (C207)
An update to this thread, so anyone else with the same question will find an answer...
I ended up going with the following setup:
Stock 18" wheels (I'm a sucker for the factory look I guess.)
Front: 255/35ZR18
Rear: 275/35ZR18
I installed 20mm spacers on the front and 15mm spacers on the rear, resulting in a pretty much perfectly square track. I ordered the spacers from BLOXsport, as they were the only ones I found that came with the correct ball seat extended lug bolts. Everything else I looked at was conical, which won't work for OEM wheels.