Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Aftermarket S550 tires on 21” wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 S550
Arrow Aftermarket S550 tires on 21” wheels

Purchased a 2015 S550 last weekend and I’m looking to run 21x9s all around, I was thinking a good size would be 245/35r21s but correct me if I am wrong. Because this is a big heavy car I would like to get long lasting all season tires. I live in Sacramento, CA where the weather is pretty good all year. What would you recommend? Part of the reason I’m going 21x9 squared is so I can rotate and try to stretch the life out of the tires. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-20-2018, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 S550
No one has any info on good tires to run?
Old 04-07-2020, 04:59 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
S65 E320
S65 mixed front rear Falken

Hi,
I posted in another thread, I pulled dunlops off my S65 and put the new gen FALKEN FK510 275/35ZR20 (102Y) for the rears and 255/35ZR20 (97Y) showing very little wear and the new generation is sticky enough. They are also very economical not that it concerns me that much. PSI 44.
Grant.
Old 06-18-2023, 12:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I know an old thread, but it was helpful in my decision to downsize wheels.
2015 S550 Sport
I think I have developed a tire pressure phobia as I have driven with the tire pressure page always in the cluster due to multiple cracked wheels.
The roads are good in SoCal, so no excuse for cracking wheels.

Based on info from this site, and elsewhere, I decided to downgrade to an 18" wheel to get peace of mind and reliably non-cracking wheels, And also to try to achieve bearable ride comfort.

I just cringed with the 20’s at every small road imperfection.
The sharp jolts from manhole covers, railroad crossings, and even roadway seams were driving me crazy.
For a car like this to ride like that was inexcusable.
But I looked cool with those 20’s.

Mercedes offered 18's as standard, yet as far as I can tell there is only one wheel style in 18, and its pretty pathetic.
And just a note to some comments indicating irregularities with vehicle control and monitoring systems due to wheel size changes, there are none.
All variations of 18, 19, and 20" wheels for the W222 use tire profiles with the same outer tire diameter, and do not affect any vehicle systems.

With each inch of reduction in wheel diameter you get an additional ½” of sidewall comfort.
So going from 20’s to 18’s adds a full inch of sidewall.
It may not sound like much, but read on.

Due to the lackluster design of the factory 18's I investigated some aftermarket wheels.
My local tire shop had some nice 18's in stock that had the same design as my current 20's and was gracious enough to let me try them on.
Unfortunately, they rubbed on the front calipers, just a smidgen, but that's enough.
We tried a couple other sets, but no joy.

This made me consider some internet claims that W222 models with the Sport package had bigger calipers.
But after further research this was debunked.
I figured the factory wheels would be the gold standard for fitment.

I was lucky enough to find a used set locally and was able to bolt one on and check the clearance.
There isn't much, but they don't rub.

Now to the fun part.
I threw away the factory Run Flats on the wheels and had a set of new Bridgestone Turanza Quiet tracks in 245-50/18 (non-staggered) installed.

First drive: A moment of pure Zen.
Instantly it was more than apparent that a miraculous transformation had occurred.
This was no subtle improvement, this was epic.
This is how a luxury car is supposed to ride.

I now actively run over lane markers, manhole covers, and any little bumps just for the satisfaction.
A sublime comfort now envelops me with this luxurious ride.
I may not look as cool as I did with the 20’s, but I can probably reduce the dosage of my blood pressure medication....

The only upside of the 20’s is that I discovered helium for TIG welding.
My Miller Dynasty is a 210 amp machine, and struggled to heat a puddle in the thicker parts of the wheel, (I got to the point of fixing my wheels myself).
My welding supply shop recommended a helium argon gas mix.
I was skeptical, but wow, what a huge difference, with a 50/50 mix I was actually able to turn the welder down to about 150 amps and easily get full penetration of the thickest part of the wheel.

So, this is just one guys experience, but I thank all of the posters who each added a piece to this thread to move me in this direction.