Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Broken Trailing Arm Mount

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C300 4Matic
Broken Trailing Arm Mount

Last Sunday I noticed a clicking noise while accelerating and braking. Actually stopped to see if lug nuts were loose. When stepping on the brake car wanted to swerve right. While driving at around 75 mph on the interstate Wednesday, and being careful, another car abruptly crossed into my lane and I had to brake hard. My 2011 C300 4matic tried to make a right turn as the rear end rose up....
I was thinking that a trailing arm might be loose and under braking the left rear wheel moved to the rear, and steered to the left effectively turning the car right.
Had the tire shop put it up on the rack (was the first appointment available when I called Monday morning), and to the technician and my surprise, the sheet metal mount for the trailing arm was torn completely off of the rear cross member! The trailing arm was just sort of hanging there. I was correct in my diagnosis, but could not imagine that the link was completely free!
This was a northern car (Ohio) where they use salt and brine on the roads in the winter. I now live in Florida. But, I am amazed that even though there was some rust on one side of the mount (the other side was torn) that this could happen! No rust anywhere else on the car at all! No major accidents to my knowlegde. And,there are thousands of C300s driving on salted roads!
A driver that was not anticipating a problem could have had a serious accident. If the car were to spin, and slide backwards, with the pressure of braking the trailing arm could contact and puncture the fuel tank complicating an accident extremely! I have and appointment with the local Mercedes dealer Monday (first available) and am not driving the car. I don't think they will be of much help since I am out of warranty and have 80.000 miles on the vehicle. I also filed a complaint with the NHTSA

in hopes it may save some old lady driving a C300.
Comments?