Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Performance Tires on my new car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 07:18 AM

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
2019 E450 Cabriolet, 2020 GLS450
Performance Tires on my new car

Ok... need some advice....

Been enjoying my E450 Cab for almost two weeks. When I ordered her back in May, for some reason, NetStar would not allow all-season tires to be configured, even though it was allowed in the DOG. Now sorry to sound like a dolt, but I didn’t really understand that “performance tires” really meant “summer tires” and I really didn’t even know what those were.

Now im scared to death. I live in central Virginia so the “snow” days are only a very small part of the winter. But it does get cold. I’ve read that you’ll practically die and your wheels will explode (sarcasm) if you drive with summer tires under 40 degrees.

I brought this up to my SA (who has been awesome) and said not to worry about it. He has a C series AMG and always has the performance tires on it (for a few years) and has never had an issue with tire cracking or skidding or anything. I don’t know why he would lie to me (he hasn’t though this whole process) because I would likely just buy new tires from him — so he is telling me I don’t need to spend more money with him.

The tires on my car are:
Front: 245/40R19 98Y Goodyear F1
Rear: 275/35R19 100Y Goodyear F1

So do just leave them on or spend $1500 on more tires on a car I’ve owned for two weeks? Just FYI... I have nowhere to store the 4 current tires to put them back in next spring. If I do this, it’ll be all season that will permanently stay on.

Thanks for advice.