Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

W212 E250 CGI brakes dragging after replacing discs and pads

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 06:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Mercedes Benz E250 CGI
W212 E250 CGI brakes dragging after replacing discs and pads

Hi all,

RE: 2010 W212 E250 CGI Sedan

Dramas never stop with this bloody car. Pads finally wore out after 95000km. Discs were still over the minimum thickness and very smooth and straight, so I decided to replace the pads only. The discs do have a bit of a lip. Used Brembo pads. Noticed that pads were dragging a lot. Slowing down my car, gears holding longer, increased fuel consumption. I have noticed that rear wheels were affected more than front ones. Noticed that pads were just a tiny bit bigger than the original ones, so the pads were "biting" into the lip on the disc. I suspected that pads were getting "jammed" between the inner and outer lips and not releasing properly. Then I took off all the pads and filed off the edge of the pads, so they don't touch the lips. Problem fixed, but it probably would have reappeared once the pads get worn down a bit and then they would get stuck on the lips again. Not worth machining the discs as new ones are not that expensive.

Therefore I decided to replace the discs and pads. New Brembo discs and pads (new set of pads). Now, the bloody pads seems to be dragging again. Rear ones. Not as bad as the first time, but I can notice it. Discs and pads have been installed with a lot of attention to ensure that guides are greased and everthing runs smoothly.
Any ideas why would this be happening, please?
Silly question: Maybe the car's computer needs to be "reprogrammed" .. to be "told" that new pads and discs are installed?

Thanks
Milo