Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

2003 ML500 break wear sensor light still flickers after replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 12:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 ML550 2013 GLK350
2003 ML500 break wear sensor light still flickers after replacement

After the wear light kicked in, confirmed rear pads thin, replace with new pads, had to wait a couple of days for sensors and when installed, continued to flicker, seems to do so during acceleration ... all I can think of is insulation worn through on a wire and it shorting against ground somewhere, though it was suggested in a thread that a bad connection could be in play. I'm trying to understand how that would work: I'm assuming the circuit is open until the sensor is worn through to expose metal and when in contact with the disk the circuit is closed and the light goes on ... if the circuit is open (new sensors, new pads) then how would a bad connection trigger the light? Just wondering to what extent I should be focusing on the connectors ...

Thanks,

Mark
Old 12-31-2018, 12:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 ML550 2013 GLK350
For what it's worth, root cause: I had started to remove the front pads, only to discover there was plenty of material left and the didn't need to be replaced, and when I reattached the retaining clip, the sensor wire was pinched, its wire exposed, which in turn shorted against the retaining clip. Doh,