MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum (https://mbworld.org/forums/wheels-tires-suspension-brakes-forum-36/)
-   -   Conflicting advice. Can you run different make front and rear tires? (https://mbworld.org/forums/wheels-tires-suspension-brakes-forum/405109-conflicting-advice-can-you-run-different-make-front-rear-tires.html)

GoodBeach 06-21-2011 01:18 PM

Conflicting advice. Can you run different make front and rear tires?

Looking for new rears on my CL65. I decided to change from Michelin Pilot Sport A/s to Continental Extreme Contact DWS. I have received conflicting advice. Is it or is it not o.k. to have two different brand tires on front and rear axles? One dealer told me that it would be unsafe due to handling differences between different tires. What do folks think about this??

danlnyc 06-21-2011 01:47 PM

it's certainly not BAD, but not good either. It's always best to have 4 same tires but having 2 different ones wont hurt you.

abiazis 06-21-2011 02:17 PM

ok

As long as same axle has same type/brand tires you are okay....AND the tires should be in the same classification......i.e. ultra high performance, maximum performances tires, etc...

BenzMan369 06-21-2011 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by GoodBeach (Post 4726033)
Looking for new rears on my CL65. I decided to change from Michelin Pilot Sport A/s to Continental Extreme Contact DWS. I have received conflicting advice. Is it or is it not o.k. to have two different brand tires on front and rear axles? One dealer told me that it would be unsafe due to handling differences between different tires. What do folks think about this??

Reason please for wanting to drop the Michelins? Just curious.

Thanks.

Luke@tirerack 06-21-2011 02:30 PM

differences in rolling resistance, sidewall deflection rates, water evacuation among other things can cause adverse handling so, it is never recommended to mix and match tires.

GoodBeach 06-21-2011 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by BenzMan369 (Post 4726147)
Reason please for wanting to drop the Michelins? Just curious.

Thanks.

Looking for better tread life plus price is much lower.

BenzMan369 06-22-2011 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by GoodBeach (Post 4726465)
Looking for better tread life plus price is much lower.

Thank you.

ecampbell 07-01-2011 05:54 AM

mixing and matching....never. For me that is like only replacing 4 spark plugs because the other 4 are still in working order.

abiazis 07-01-2011 07:01 AM

mix and match

Tire Rack gave me the advice on tires for my Porsche.......as long as same tires on same axle and of the same type - i.e. ultra high performance, max performance, etc....it is okay....

I have had NO issues in dry or wet....

I have Dunlop on the front axle and Sumitomo on the rear......also no issues on the track........

My rears wear twice as fast as my fronts due to engine weight and traction in the back.....

In my case the Dunlops were discontinued, so I went with the different brand in the rear.......

I will go with the same brand all around when I can, i.e. helps in concours judging, etc..

carenthusiast 07-08-2011 10:20 AM

I agree. Its not recommended but its not the worst thing in the world either. You generally want to try and match tread pattern, speed ratings, and performance capabilities of the tires to ensure the smoothest and best ride possible.

Since you are considering Pilot Sport A/S Plus and Conti DWS, I will say that you want to be a bit careful. Pilot Sport offers much better cornering ability than the DWS so just make sure you are more of a calm driver and not the spirited fun lover that takes corners at a higher speed. As for treadlife, Michelin's probably offer one of the highest tread life ratings in the class so I think it may just come down to price and trade off in cornering ability for your particular situation.

I'd recommend going with the Michelin's myself.

Originally Posted by GoodBeach (Post 4726033)