C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Changing Oil Level Sensor (Request by vdemon311)

Old 09-23-2010, 03:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Changing Oil Level Sensor (Request by vdemon311)

Please see attached PDF document. Changing the sensor is relatively simple. The only problem is I couldn't locate the sensor online. I also couldn't locate a part number.
Worst case scenario you will have to buy the sensor from the dealership or maybe someone might be kind enough and provide you with a part number. A good place to buy MB parts online is rmeuropean.com or getmercedesparts.com

-------------

Waz up my MBWorld buddies!!!! I haven't talked to you guys for the longest time. Hows is everyone doing? When is the next MB meet?

Last edited by W203E35; 12-01-2010 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
Something Slow
nice but not for the M112 :-(
Old 09-23-2010, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Great info as usual Karo
Old 09-23-2010, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 c230
Thank you karo, So the entire unit that is known as the "oil level check switch" is the sensor? Or Is it only a part of it? I will be getting the sensor most likely on Monday and be doing the install next weekend.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Originally Posted by WaveyKat
nice but not for the M112 :-(
Sure, here you go (check attachment)

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Great info as usual Karo
Thanks Glyn Hows everything going? Long time no talk, did you ever get around installing EPC/WIS?

Originally Posted by vdemon311
Thank you karo, So the entire unit that is known as the "oil level check switch" is the sensor? Or Is it only a part of it? I will be getting the sensor most likely on Monday and be doing the install next weekend.
It's just a little sensor. The 3rd picture is the sensor. The 2nd picture has the sensor and brackets as well that's why it looks like a whole unit.

Also FYI, 06 and 07 Oil Level Sensors only let you know when your oil is low ("add quart of oil") but the previous model they tell you how much oil you have (not only low). So make sure you get the right one.

Do you get the message all the time (add quart of oil)? How often is this message? The dealers really don't know their head from their *** (I had the same problem and after taking it in 3 times they finally fixed it which in the end I myself found the leak. They said I was consuming oil and it's fine, which definitely wasn't fine). When you get the message and you check your dipstick is the oil fine? Also you have to check consistently. I believe you have to let the car run for 10 minutes then check, not sure but it's in Manual.

Last edited by W203E35; 12-01-2010 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:58 PM

2006 c230
Originally Posted by Karo

It's just a little sensor. The 3rd picture is the sensor. The 2nd picture has the sensor and brackets as well that's why it looks like a whole unit.

Also FYI, 06 and 07 Oil Level Sensors only let you know when your oil is low ("add quart of oil") but the previous model they tell you how much oil you have (not only low). So make sure you get the right one.

Do you get the message all the time (add quart of oil)? How often is this message? The dealers really don't know their head from their *** (I had the same problem and after taking it in 3 times they finally fixed it which in the end I myself found the leak. They said I was consuming oil and it's fine, which definitely wasn't fine). When you get the message and you check your dipstick is the oil fine? Also you have to check consistently. I believe you have to let the car run for 10 minutes then check, not sure but it's in Manual.
When I was looking to buy the car the original owner told me that every once in a while a message would pop up saying "check oil level at next gas station" and he would check the oil, level would be fine (via dipstick), and when the car was restarted it would go away. Sometimes for weeks, maybe even months it wouldn't pop up, but eventually it would come up and then go away when car is restarted. He eventually took the car to Freehold Mercedes in Central Jersey (He even gave me the paper work), back in 2009, and had everything looked at. They said he was not losing oil, and(even written on the receipt) that it is a faulty sensor. To replace the sensor cost an arm and a leg so he decided not to go through with the repair because he was past warranty. (This is all information he gave me when I test drove the car before it was bought) When test driving the car, nothing popped up. The car itself is in unbelievable condition (clutch, brakes ,etc.. everything replaced with proof of paperwork) the original owner basically proved himself to be a trustworthy guy who showed me that he took great care of the car. Still, I was skeptical to hand this guy money without being completely sure, so I explained to him that I loved the car and would purchase If , I ,myself could get a dealership or a mechanic to confirm it was a fualty sensor. I then took the car to a mercedes mechanic in Princeton, NJ , where after 2 days, they confirmed that it was just a sensor and they, too, wanted an arm and a leg for repair. In conclusion, I bought the car, have been driving it for the past 3 months, the message has popped up numerous times stating "check oil at next gas station" and from what my sources say is completely different than what you, karo, got "low oil add 1 quart" This is a message that means you are losing oil whereas my message is just warning to check. Now I have checked the dipstick everytime after the message and found the oil level to be perfect. I have even changed the oil myself and still had the message pop up the next day, checked the oil level, and its good. So...... all I would like to do is pay around 100, replace the sensor myself call it a day...... and see where it goes from there rather than pay 600. Other than this anoying message, that has no consistency whatsoever(and it goes away if you turn the car off and on), the car has been a pleasure to own. I got rid of a 2004 nissan 350z for this car and this is my first mercedes. I really have no complaints for a used car with 50000 miles on it, but this oil message has got to go.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:01 PM

2006 c230
And FYI, I never got a "add 1 quart of oil" message or a "low oil message" Only "check oil at next gas station". For anyone who wants to chime in, this is a 2006 c230 sport 6spd manual if it makes a difference.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Originally Posted by vdemon311
When I was looking to buy the car the original owner told me that every once in a while a message would pop up saying "check oil level at next gas station" and he would check the oil, level would be fine (via dipstick), and when the car was restarted it would go away. Sometimes for weeks, maybe even months it wouldn't pop up, but eventually it would come up and then go away when car is restarted. He eventually took the car to Freehold Mercedes in Central Jersey (He even gave me the paper work), back in 2009, and had everything looked at. They said he was not losing oil, and(even written on the receipt) that it is a faulty sensor. To replace the sensor cost an arm and a leg so he decided not to go through with the repair because he was past warranty. (This is all information he gave me when I test drove the car before it was bought) When test driving the car, nothing popped up. The car itself is in unbelievable condition (clutch, brakes ,etc.. everything replaced with proof of paperwork) the original owner basically proved himself to be a trustworthy guy who showed me that he took great care of the car. Still, I was skeptical to hand this guy money without being completely sure, so I explained to him that I loved the car and would purchase If , I ,myself could get a dealership or a mechanic to confirm it was a fualty sensor. I then took the car to a mercedes mechanic in Princeton, NJ , where after 2 days, they confirmed that it was just a sensor and they, too, wanted an arm and a leg for repair. In conclusion, I bought the car, have been driving it for the past 3 months, the message has popped up numerous times stating "check oil at next gas station" and from what my sources say is completely different than what you, karo, got "low oil add 1 quart" This is a message that means you are losing oil whereas my message is just warning to check. Now I have checked the dipstick everytime after the message and found the oil level to be perfect. I have even changed the oil myself and still had the message pop up the next day, checked the oil level, and its good. So...... all I would like to do is pay around 100, replace the sensor myself call it a day...... and see where it goes from there rather than pay 600. Other than this anoying message, that has no consistency whatsoever(and it goes away if you turn the car off and on), the car has been a pleasure to own. I got rid of a 2004 nissan 350z for this car and this is my first mercedes. I really have no complaints for a used car with 50000 miles on it, but this oil message has got to go.
My 1 quart message is due to me changing it more specifically on STAR. I hated the check oil at next gas station message because it sounded blunt. My message and your message is the same.

The car holds almost 9 quarts and the message comes up when 2 or more quarts are lost. To be honest with you the dipstick isn't very accurate on the car and a lot of members can vouch on this.

If you are certain that it's a faulty sensor and your car isn't consuming oil and you have no leak then change the sensor. I hope it is the sensor
Old 10-09-2010, 10:17 AM

2006 c230
Update

Sensor replaced. Fairly easy job and so far so good. Just about 200 miles and no message. Thanks again Karo! Next up... brakes
Old 10-09-2010, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Nice, glad it was only the sensor. Brakes should be fairly easy as well, just time consuming.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:47 AM

2004 c240
I'm having the same problem with my 2004 C240. Star Diagnostics indicated Fault Codes P2040-008; P2076-008 & P2039-008. MB said this is indicating the oil level/sender sensor malfunction. I want do the work myself but I want to ask what is the best method to separate and drop the lower oil pan. Use a straight edge blade or utility knife to cut the silicon seal or something else you could recommend? I understand the lower oil pan can be a pain to separate because of the silicon sealer and to use care not to scorch the edge with a metal or sharp edge. Appreciate the info and help.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:25 PM

2005 BMW 325ci
Where is the attachment?
Old 05-11-2011, 03:17 PM

A Lemon
Karo, I have a M112, would you be able to send me the replacement procedure as well? Many thanks!
Old 05-11-2011, 03:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 C230 Kompressor Sport
www.rmeuropean.com sells the sensor.

I belive it's about $160-$180 bucks for the M271 Engine.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:13 PM
pcy
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
'14 ML350, '13 C220 CDI, '07 C280, '98 ML320
To drop the lower oil pan (on M112), anti-sway bar comes in the way. So, you'll have to remove the sway bar bolts and slide it to the side. You don't need to remove the sway bar completely from the car. After moving the sway bar to the side, after removing [lots of] bolts on the lower oil pan, no matter how you pull, the pan won't come down. You must use a flat blade to cut in to the silicone sealer, replace the sensor, clean the pan and the mating surface. Reseal.

Toughest part of this job is separating the pan. I've gone thru this process on my '04 C320 4matic. On my car, the oil level sensor was leaking oil pretty bad - although the sensor was working perfectly.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:45 PM

A Lemon
Thanks guys, upon closer inspection, I see some fluid leaking out from the RF axle shaft seal as well, looks like it's gonna be more headache for me!
Old 01-17-2012, 11:54 AM

C55
I just had a warning that says "oil sensor malfunction". I don't want to go to a dealer (expensive, right?). I guess I have to change it by myself. I cannot see the pdf document mentioned at the top of this thread. How can I see it? Thanks.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:41 PM

2005 C320
Was the attachment removed?