Sponsored by:

4000 km owner report - likes/dislikes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 04:34 PM

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
E63
4000 km owner report - likes/dislikes

Except for the lousy suspension, I like this car a LOT!

Had it for 2 months,4000kms, one track session.

Looking forward to the convertible version, and higherperformance variants.

Good points:

Great engine – way stronger/faster than the 500 hp wouldsuggest. (As fast as my GT-R was).

Excellent combination of quick throttle response, yetnoticeable kick from the turbos once fully spooled up.

Transmission (paddle shifting) finally as good as the engine(the dual clutch transmission in my SLS was crap).

Love the sound from inside (and outside) the cabin.

Beautifully detailed and finished inside (and outside).

A real sense of occasion when driving it – very special. (Betweenmy Porsche which is very competent but bland, and 458 which ishyper-adrenaline).

The new customizable rotary switch for drive settings workswell.

Great brakes.

Areas for improvement:

Like all Mercedes products, still way too heavy.

Difficult/tight to get in and out (decently comfortable onceseated). (Should have a seat retraction feature on exit, in addition to the steeringwheel raise feature).

The $7000 radio stinks. Loses lock on the channels wheneverI am within a mile of high voltage transmissionlines.

Still can’t set cruise control (to keep from inadvertently upsettingthe radar gestapo), unless the traction control is fully engaged – any of the sportiersetting prevent cruise control engagement – too many German lawyers at Mercedes(even at rebel AMG).

Mine was one of the ones with the crashing noise when goingover even small bumps, but now that has been fixed, the suspension stillbottoms out regularly on mid-sized bumps.

Mine has the “stock” suspension, not the track pack.Steering is way too light, and the front end feels disconnected from the rear (regardlessof shock absorber setting). Very wobbly on direction changes. (Feels like my 4400lb. E63 felt). Does not inspire “sport car” confidence for brisk cornering. However, it performedquite well at the track, and I got much more confidence in its abilities in thesafety of the track setting, so now I feel more confident pushing it a bit more on the street. However, I still considerthe excess weight and handling to be the weakest feature of the car.

Should have a “normal” gear shift lever, that allows you to change gears from the shifteron the center console, when the wheel is turned and the steering wheel paddlesare in an inconvenient location.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 696 Likes on 530 Posts
R Nine T
Originally Posted by thunderMB
Except for the lousy suspension, I like this car a LOT!

Had it for 2 months,4000kms, one track session.

Looking forward to the convertible version, and higherperformance variants.

Good points:

Great engine – way stronger/faster than the 500 hp wouldsuggest. (As fast as my GT-R was).

Excellent combination of quick throttle response, yetnoticeable kick from the turbos once fully spooled up.

Transmission (paddle shifting) finally as good as the engine(the dual clutch transmission in my SLS was crap).

Love the sound from inside (and outside) the cabin.

Beautifully detailed and finished inside (and outside).

A real sense of occasion when driving it – very special. (Betweenmy Porsche which is very competent but bland, and 458 which ishyper-adrenaline).

The new customizable rotary switch for drive settings workswell.

Great brakes.

Areas for improvement:

Like all Mercedes products, still way too heavy.

Difficult/tight to get in and out (decently comfortable onceseated). (Should have a seat retraction feature on exit, in addition to the steeringwheel raise feature).

The $7000 radio stinks. Loses lock on the channels wheneverI am within a mile of high voltage transmissionlines.

Still can’t set cruise control (to keep from inadvertently upsettingthe radar gestapo), unless the traction control is fully engaged – any of the sportiersetting prevent cruise control engagement – too many German lawyers at Mercedes(even at rebel AMG).

Mine was one of the ones with the crashing noise when goingover even small bumps, but now that has been fixed, the suspension stillbottoms out regularly on mid-sized bumps.

Mine has the “stock” suspension, not the track pack.Steering is way too light, and the front end feels disconnected from the rear (regardlessof shock absorber setting). Very wobbly on direction changes. (Feels like my 4400lb. E63 felt). Does not inspire “sport car” confidence for brisk cornering. However, it performedquite well at the track, and I got much more confidence in its abilities in thesafety of the track setting, so now I feel more confident pushing it a bit more on the street. However, I still considerthe excess weight and handling to be the weakest feature of the car.

Should have a “normal” gear shift lever, that allows you to change gears from the shifteron the center console, when the wheel is turned and the steering wheel paddlesare in an inconvenient location.
Thanks for the review. We can find out little by little the tendencies of this great car

You mentioned that you had the "stock suspension" and I still haven't driven that set up yet. One of the most particular dislikes I had was the suspension on the edition one going over rough pavement was hard for me to accept even in comfort mode. Can you give any more input regarding that aspect of the suspension and ride? Much appreciated thank you
Old 09-04-2015, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 345 Likes on 195 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
What do you mean by "track pack"? Is this the AMG DYNAMIC PLUS Package?
Old 09-05-2015, 12:16 AM
AHI

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
AMG GTR
Originally Posted by California John
What do you mean by "track pack"? Is this the AMG DYNAMIC PLUS Package?
Track pack gave you active engine mounts, stiffer suspension, and a sport steering wheel. I think there were 2 more things.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 345 Likes on 195 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
This is what Mercedes Benz says about their AMG Dynamic Plus Package:

Honing every aspect of performance to an even sharper edge is the AMG DYNAMIC PLUS Package. Dynamic engine and transmission mounts use electromagnetic fluid, progressively stiffening to keep handling precise. In the Manual and Race modes, horsepower peaks over a wider range of rpm. And chassis tuning is reprofiled for more aggressive handling.

The special steering wheel is included with either this package or the exclusive Nappa Leather/DINAMICA upholstery package.