Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AMG GT/S - Depreciation similar to other AMG's?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 02:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 S
It is a very new car, and it is a MB (BMW too) not a Lexus, so I guess it is normal to have issues in the first 1 or 2 year, and will see some "lemon" .. Want a problem free sexy car, can get the $100k LC500 V8.

From what I see, most used GTS are still around $120k and up, so they depreciated..normal. Sure few are at $100k or a bit less, but they are Lemons or being hit and foxed.
Most the timw when I browsed Autotrader, see a good deal, I email then, most end up scam or whatever story... (Or they are brokers from Europe, can sell world wide, bla bla)

I agree the GT may not be the most logic car to buy, (just go buy any Lexus, for logic reason) but the AMG GT is just so sexy to look at!

Last year, I was looking for another M5 / E63 as family sedan..somehow I got myself a S8 (V8T) after test drive.... Do I love it? Yes, but it is also true that I am going to worry about the depreciation..... ;(

Last edited by piano; 01-30-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:05 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
ferrari 458 spider
the problem i think with the AMG GTS is lack of exclusivity. they use the same parts for multiple lower end cars, such as the same engine for the AMG C which costs 50k less and has 2 backseats

and every mercedes model has an AMG version too

if i were mercedes AMG i would make a new brand and differentiate it, i think they are trying to do that with the panamerica grille but they went ahead and shared the GT platform with the upcoming SL, and of course the same engine is being used in other lower models as well

from a cost perspective, economies of scale is great for cost savings, but it hurts the exclusivity and thus the luxury premium.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:18 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
?
Originally Posted by unpollo2
the problem i think with the AMG GTS is lack of exclusivity. they use the same parts for multiple lower end cars, such as the same engine for the AMG C which costs 50k less and has 2 backseats

and every mercedes model has an AMG version too

if i were mercedes AMG i would make a new brand and differentiate it, i think they are trying to do that with the panamerica grille but they went ahead and shared the GT platform with the upcoming SL, and of course the same engine is being used in other lower models as well

from a cost perspective, economies of scale is great for cost savings, but it hurts the exclusivity and thus the luxury premium.

This is right. When you share a car guts with a car that is easily $50K cheaper and sold in the 10s of thousands. How do you explain exclusivity? You can't. Period.

The AMG GT and GTs are a nice entry car for the "masses" into the lower end of GT class cars. I liked the lines and the sound, did not like the finish, technical gremlins, rattles, wind noise, excessive burnt oil, and that I see more of them than my wagons.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 S
Um.... Sharing engine/parts with "lower" models, not always bad, my E39M5 has same engine as Z8 ... But Z8 worth 10 times or 20times more ... Even P1 and 570 .. R8 and Lambo .. SLS engine is related to C63 engine (right?)

But already too many trim levels, GT, GTC a, GTS, GTR...Cab... And facelift after just 2 year... *_*
Old 02-01-2017, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
The VW group does the same with Audi, Porsche and Bentley and MacLaren sells a $200K 570 that is just a detuned version of the 650.
Not sure where you live but the GT is a pretty rare sight.

Originally Posted by Astolfo
This is right. When you share a car guts with a car that is easily $50K cheaper and sold in the 10s of thousands. How do you explain exclusivity? You can't. Period.

The AMG GT and GTs are a nice entry car for the "masses" into the lower end of GT class cars. I liked the lines and the sound, did not like the finish, technical gremlins, rattles, wind noise, excessive burnt oil, and that I see more of them than my wagons.