Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Replacing the COMAND just got easier

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
Replacing the COMAND just got easier

This little interface takes the audio from the aftermarket head unit and converts it to MOST optical allowing you to retain your factory amp and gateway.

This piece isn't being produced yet, it is just a sample. Thought I would share with ya's, after complaining for a few years it looks like someone heard me

This is in a 05 SL.

Just removed the COMAND and added this to it with a Kenwood
Old 10-10-2012, 12:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E63 AMG (Dubai), 2009 BMW X5 4.8i Sport (PA)
They should be able to sell many of these. I am currently ripping out the entire COMAND and MOST ring devices and it certainly isn't a simple job. A good professional installer can handle it but it takes a lot of time.

I would have considered something like this if it was available. I think using this type of device and going to an aftermarket sub/amp would definitely be an increase in quality over the stock system. It would probably be enough of an improvement for most people because you could get aftermarket head unit features (big touch screen, better bluetooth, way better nav, bluetooth streaming, web based streaming, and so forth) without ripping everything out of the car.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
Well I tested it all week, and i was more than happy with its performance. Turns audio on like it is supposed to and also lets the audio gateway and amplifier go to sleep like normal. I am sure it will save a lot of people money when it comes to installing a new radio. I guess the 2005 SL was quoted a $4k replacement comand for the antique. This allows to retain the factory audio system, amp and sub. I believe the next step is to add some cluster info on the audio screen and the steering wheel controls integrated. Further enhancements will be 4 channel mode with fade control. the one I used was a 2 channel application for the sl with balance controls.

Now I just need to get them motivated for production !
Old 10-13-2012, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
I shall watch these developments with interest as a potential customer.

I take it the Kenwood unit has nav, CD/DVD storage, USB input, Dolby 5.1 from DVD capability, FLAC input, Cell phone interface, multiband radio, etc.

Just replacing that *&%$) CD?DVD/NAV changer in the trunk that breaks every 2 years would be a blessing!

How then do you control system settings etc. that can only be done through Comand?
Old 10-13-2012, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
you can find the kenwood specs on their site
I didn't see any setting that needed retained that the Kenwood didn't have built in on this vehicle. This is what it looks like installed. Found the kit in the UK

Old 10-14-2012, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07' SL65, 04' E55, 03' Evo8, 08' GSXR, DSM's...
Who is making that part? Will it be compatible for other models?

Nice choice in deck, i just had that same one installed in my girl's MDX.

Aaron
Old 10-14-2012, 01:30 PM

2005 E320 CDI
I'm very interested on this item!
Old 10-14-2012, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
it is not a production piece. I am telling them though it needs to be!!!
Old 10-14-2012, 06:54 PM

2005 E320 CDI
Fingers crossed
Old 10-15-2012, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
I am having a few boards shipped to me this week for R&D, so i believe this might end up coming to market sooner than later.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:15 AM

2005 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by jbondox
I am having a few boards shipped to me this week for R&D, so i believe this might end up coming to market sooner than later.
Tell them to put me on the list of waiting customers!
Old 10-15-2012, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec
This little interface takes the audio from the aftermarket head unit and converts it to MOST optical allowing you to retain your factory amp and gateway.

This piece isn't being produced yet, it is just a sample. Thought I would share with ya's, after complaining for a few years it looks like someone heard me

This is in a 05 SL.

Just removed the COMAND and added this to it with a Kenwood
See, even you can be useful..
Old 10-16-2012, 04:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 210 Likes on 156 Posts
W222 S63L, ML/GLE350
you can find the kenwood specs on their site
I didn't see any setting that needed retained that the Kenwood didn't have built in on this vehicle. This is what it looks like installed. Found the kit in the UK

Only problem now is that this looks horrible. And the NTG 2.5 unit is not old. Have all features you need in my opinion.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
The NTG2.5 is a good unit, but can't touch the kenwoods functionality nor the navigation. cost vs practicality? Kenwood wins!!
Old 10-16-2012, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W222 S63L, ML/GLE350
And what do Kenowood have the the original dont have???
Old 10-16-2012, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
seriously? I put the link to the kenwood up there, and that is the mid line.

I am all for keeping factory, but knowing when to say when just seems to be a whole lot smarter! And it isn't just for Kenwood, it can be for any aftermarket unit or tablet! or tablet... did I mention tablet?
Old 10-16-2012, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
ooops my bad ...

link :
http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entert...tion/DNX7190HD
Old 10-16-2012, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W222 S63L, ML/GLE350
Well I just dont see it? Mine have all I need. DVD-changer.Navigation with nice birdview with latest maps on the HD. MP3 storing on HD. Bluetooth and so on. What else do I need in a car?
Old 10-16-2012, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
Originally Posted by Chris The Swede
Well I just dont see it? Mine have all I need. DVD-changer.Navigation with nice birdview with latest maps on the HD. MP3 storing on HD. Bluetooth and so on. What else do I need in a car?
Seriously Swede? That is WEAK! welcome to the 90's!! Just because SOME features fit your lifestyle, doesn't mean it will fit others. I don't see your point. NTG2.5 was designed back 2007 by Alpine and in conjunction with Mitsubishi Electronics

some people want back-up camera, front camera, or both... with different viewing angles, sat radio with iTunes tagging, search music by album cover, TOUCHSCREEN, voice control, Pandora, aha radio, AV ins and out, real nav traffic, HD radio, A2DP Bluetooth streaming, internet, Lane assist, Traffic Trend, real 3D maps, app control, netflix, better resolution screen, and so on... and so on... OR ALL OF THE OPTIONS!

With the mentality you stated, I am surprised you don't just want AM radio and an 8 Track player

There are offerings from Kenwood, Alpine, JVC, Pioneer, and other brands

does your 3D mapping look like this? NO!

So besides placing another antique of a radio in the car (NTG2.5), why not something that is cutting edge and state of the art? and upgradeable-expandable? Hell the APP radio which is a steal of a price at $600 will read out your OBDII port and give you diagnostics, skid pad, accelerometer ....

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/AppRadio

Though not a fan of Pioneer, it is impressive and successful. Why buy a full blown NAV system when you own a smartphone?

tomato-potato... This isn't about if you like something or think it should be something else, this is about the rest of the world having an alternative to the BS pricing that MB puts on some outdated technology.

Hopefully that clarify's it up

Last edited by jbondox; 10-16-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:52 PM

2005 E320 CDI
I just installed a pioneer avic Z140BH in to my bmw X5 last week and the diference day and night, now I really wish I had done this 2 years ago.

I use the app Waze a lo and now it shows that app in the pioneer display and I don't need to be looking at my iPhone all the time.

Last edited by delviacv2; 10-16-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
That is a bad **** Headunit! Congrats! Definitely one of the coolest radios I have seen!

I wonder if the nTG2.5 3D mapping looks like this? (answer is no and far from it)

Old 10-16-2012, 11:14 PM

'92 W201 2.3, '10 X164 550
Originally Posted by delviacv2
Tell them to put me on the list of waiting customers!
Me too
Old 10-16-2012, 11:30 PM

bmw
I compared it to another e55 there

Old 10-17-2012, 02:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W222 S63L, ML/GLE350
some people want back-up camera, front camera, or both... with different viewing angles, sat radio with iTunes tagging, search music by album cover, TOUCHSCREEN, voice control, Pandora, aha radio, AV ins and out, real nav traffic, HD radio, A2DP Bluetooth streaming, internet, Lane assist, Traffic Trend, real 3D maps, app control, netflix, better resolution screen, and so on... and so on... OR ALL OF THE OPTIONS!

And that is also what I call redicules.It is a car. Not an office...And alot of that you can have in the comand. It has SAT radio,It has vosice control,It has backup camera,AV ins and outs and so on. How can you compare that to a 8 track? Kind of Childish. I want the original look and this 2009 unit rocks compared to the old ones and it realy looks horrible with a unit that missfitted in a adapter plate. Talk about 80s look. If they made a unit like the Kenwood with the look of an original I sure would consider installing one to. But you also LOSE some features when removing the original.

But as long you are happy with it, that is the most important thing.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
Originally Posted by Chris The Swede

And that is also what I call redicules.It is a car. Not an office...And alot of that you can have in the comand. It has SAT radio,It has vosice control,It has backup camera,AV ins and outs and so on. How can you compare that to a 8 track? Kind of Childish. I want the original look and this 2009 unit rocks compared to the old ones and it realy looks horrible with a unit that missfitted in a adapter plate. Talk about 80s look. If they made a unit like the Kenwood with the look of an original I sure would consider installing one to. But you also LOSE some features when removing the original.

But as long you are happy with it, that is the most important thing.

Welcome to 1776, when we got our independence from others making choices for us...

You offer no logical solution that is affordable. I am offering a solution that not only offers a solution but also brings it up current with today's technology and the ability to integrate future technology.

as for the adapter plate. if it was a huge issue, and one wanted to spend more money you can easily integrate button from another comand unit to it and hook them up to the wireless remote... But maybe they should ask you first which button for your approval?

you voiced your opinion, move on.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Replacing the COMAND just got easier