issue with timing chain, need guidance!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 03:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 Mercedes E350 sedan 2012 Mercedes c250 coupe
issue with timing chain, need guidance!

Hi everyone,

For the past month, my 2012 c250 coupe with 47k miles having issue with the camshaft and with the code p0340. The car drives fine, but have intermittent delayed starting issue. I have replaced the two camshaft sensors but the problem still persist. Today, I went back to my mechanic and he said there might be issue with timing chain skipping and it need to be replaced or there is a issue with camshaft magnet.

So my question is

1) He estimated $3000 to replace the timing chain for my car. Is this legit or bs since he said the whole engine have to pull out to replace the timing chain.

2) Would replacing camshaft magnet or timing chain solve the issue, is there any other cause?

thanks guys
The following users liked this post:
tripper80 (09-05-2019)
Old 12-24-2015, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
2013 C350 Coupe, 2005 C230K Kleemann Sedan, 2013 GLK350 4matic
Originally Posted by zichen169
Hi everyone, For the past month, my 2012 c250 coupe with 47k miles having issue with the camshaft and with the code p0340. The car drives fine, but have intermittent delayed starting issue. I have replaced the two camshaft sensors but the problem still persist. Today, I went back to my mechanic and he said there might be issue with timing chain skipping and it need to be replaced or there is a issue with camshaft magnet. So my question is 1) He estimated $3000 to replace the timing chain for my car. Is this legit or bs since he said the whole engine have to pull out to replace the timing chain. 2) Would replacing camshaft magnet or timing chain solve the issue, is there any other cause? thanks guys
Are you still not under warranty? If not, see if the dealer will goodwill it, or at least give you a significant discount towards repair
Old 01-07-2016, 12:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes-Benz E250 CGI
If your engine starts with a rattle for few seconds first time in the morning and has long starting times it's not good...

It looks like this engine M271 has some well known issues with timing chain stretching and then messing out the timing and degrading the condition of the camshaft adjusting sprockets. The problem looks to be inherited to the new M271EVO(found in c250cgi) engine and can be just bad luck or engine is not maintained properly and if engine is running with low level oil and also using low octane fuel. To get to the point you might need to change the camshaft adjuster sprockets or one of it depending of the condition + change the chain and chain tensioner along with the solenoids(which you did).

I have discovered a whole lot of cases but on the russian forum for mercedes(used google translate..) with this kind of problems. I did this investigation because ... I have same engine as you on my EU Version E250 CGI and want to be prepared for the worse ...

There are few cases in which just changing the chain tensioner fixed the problem but after the sprockets were investigated(opening valve cover) and concluded that they were aligned correctly on the marks and in good condition.

I strongly suggest not driving the car anymore until you fix the issue, chain can snap and then it's the end for the engine.

Here you can check exactly more details of this issue use google translate.

German site:
https://autoeoe.com/mercedes-benz/motor/m271/

Russian site:

http://mbdvigatel.ru/motory/mercedes-m271-evo-cgi.html

http://www.benzclub.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=289886

Youtube:

Old 01-07-2016, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by primix
If your engine starts with a rattle for few seconds first time in the morning and has long starting times it's not good...

It looks like this engine M271 has some well known issues with timing chain stretching and then messing out the timing and degrading the condition of the camshaft adjusting sprockets. The problem looks to be inherited to the new M271EVO(found in c250cgi) engine and can be just bad luck or engine is not maintained properly and if engine is running with low level oil and also using low octane fuel. To get to the point you might need to change the camshaft adjuster sprockets or one of it depending of the condition + change the chain and chain tensioner along with the solenoids(which you did).

I have discovered a whole lot of cases but on the russian forum for mercedes(used google translate..) with this kind of problems. I did this investigation because ... I have same engine as you on my EU Version E250 CGI and want to be prepared for the worse ...

There are few cases in which just changing the chain tensioner fixed the problem but after the sprockets were investigated(opening valve cover) and concluded that they were aligned correctly on the marks and in good condition.

I strongly suggest not driving the car anymore until you fix the issue, chain can snap and then it's the end for the engine.

German site:

Russian site:

Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVI-_J8VI18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgyiuef3QqU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANOO7xFozIs
Thank you for your post as I have stuck on this issue for months now. I'm completely disappointed in Mercedes benz, how could they inherited this well known issue to the new engine, that ridiculous. It is possible to contact Mercedes USA for covering part of the cost? Also, would the timing chain stretching comes back after fixing it? I want to make sure whether to keep this car long term...
Old 01-08-2016, 04:46 PM

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
09 CLK550
My old M271 C230 turd had the timing chain stretch and damage all the intake valves.

You'd think the W204 version would have been better designed.
Old 01-09-2016, 02:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes-Benz E250 CGI
I am aware that this issue can be covered by Mercedes warranty of good will because it's not normal for a chain to stretch and damage the camshaft adjuster sprockets thus messing the timing on engine... the chain is there for the life of the engine and there's no service interval mentioned for it. You should first get a full diagnosis on the problem and then ask them to fix it for free under good will because this no way normal. If you did all service maintenance on time and you have the proofs for it than the case is clear. If the car is still under warranty then this is no problem at all. If the car is out of warranty this should be addressed to MB USA and asked for good will or you will sue them, they might ignore and try to make you leave it as it is at the dealership service but you should not leave until you have a full diagnosis. They just need to take the valve cover off and rotate the crankshaft to time 0 marked on it's pulley and if sprockets don't align on the mark than that's clearly the cause. On this engine you don't need to pull it out of the car to replace the chain so that's no way true if they said it to you.

I also know that they updated the camshaft sprockets design, the selonoids and also the aluminium cover of the camshaft sprockets to fix this issue and updated software of ECU.... and from what I know they did this for MY 2012 on... but here in EU we have these engines since MY 2009 for E class and C class and from what I have read on the forums the problem occurs mostly on the 2009-2012 engines.

I am keeping my 2010 E250 CGI to be honest... car is great and no issues so far with engine. I changed engine oil every 5000 Miles to be sure and always checking the oil level... because many say problem is linked with long oil interval changes and low oil level (chain tensioner on this engines is using oil pressure to tension chain).

I hope I helped you with this issue. Cheers
Klonone (07-02-2017)
Old 01-12-2016, 03:31 PM

I am aware that this issue can be covered by Mercedes warranty of good will because it's not normal for a chain to stretch and damage the camshaft adjuster sprockets thus messing the timing on engine... the chain is there for the life of the engine and there's no service interval mentioned for it. You should first get a full diagnosis on the problem and then ask them to fix it for free under good will because this no way normal. If you did all service maintenance on time and you have the proofs for it than the case is clear. If the car is still under warranty then this is no problem at all. If the car is out of warranty this should be addressed to MB USA and asked for good will or you will sue them, they might ignore and try to make you leave it as it is at the dealership service but you should not leave until you have a full diagnosis. They just need to take the valve cover off and rotate the crankshaft to time 0 marked on it's pulley and if sprockets don't align on the mark than that's clearly the cause. On this engine you don't need to pull it out of the car to replace the chain so that's no way true if they said it to you.

I also know that they updated the camshaft sprockets design, the selonoids and also the aluminium cover of the camshaft sprockets to fix this issue and updated software of ECU.... and from what I know they did this for MY 2012 on... but here in EU we have these engines since MY 2009 for E class and C class and from what I have read on the forums the problem occurs mostly on the 2009-2012 engines.

I am keeping my 2010 E250 CGI to be honest... car is great and no issues so far with engine. I changed engine oil every 5000 Miles to be sure and always checking the oil level... because many say problem is linked with long oil interval changes and low oil level (chain tensioner on this engines is using oil pressure to tension chain).

I hope I helped you with this issue. Cheers
Hi Primix,

thanks for your supports, I have already scheduled an diagnosis with my local Mercedes dealership. Hopefully they can fix it under good will or I be contacting Mercedes USA. Wish you best of the luck with your car, I really enjoyed my c250 coupe, just didn't wish it has this big of issue...
Klonone (07-02-2017)
Old 01-16-2016, 04:56 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
E63S
Mercedes have had this issue for years. I sorted out my mother in laws very lightly driven 2003 E200K about 6 months ago when it had started to miss under light load. Took it to a Mercedes indie in Ireland who diagnosed it on the spot as worn cam sprockets. He reckoned that right on cue these would start to play up at about 60000 miles. He was able to show me his current "collection" of worn sprockets from this engine alone. Obviously forget warranty and goodwill on something this old. Pretty easy job but the killer is the parts - each sprocket €500 and timing chain should also be done when fitting new sprockets and that was about €600 for chain and tensioner etc.
Next thing to fail apparently is the radiator which corrodes and leaks coolant into the ATF, potentially damaging beyond repair the torque converter. And then not far down the track the SBC. At this stage he advises you better off to just drive it to a junkyard and scrap it. Good old Mercedes - built for life (of the 3 year warranty period)!!!
Old 01-26-2016, 11:12 PM

Thank you for the feedbacks everyone.

I took my car to the dealer and the issues turned out to be timing chain tensioner and timing chain adjuster both faulty. Mercedes USA was able to fix my issue for free under goodwill because my car just came out of warrenty! Thanks everyone the car runs perfect now
Old 01-28-2016, 10:13 PM

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
2008 SL550
This thread is making me a bit nauseous... My 2012 (250 coupe) is at 41k miles and I admit that I'd be more than little pissed if this happened. I feel for you guys.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C250
Similar C250 Isuues

German site:

Russian site:

Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVI-_J8VI18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgyiuef3QqU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANOO7xFozIs
I am having the same issue with my C250. Here is an estimate pertaining to the repairs they are suggesting related to the problems I am having. The bottom portion of the estimate is for additional repairs they are saying I need but are not related to the issue I am having.

Old 03-19-2018, 06:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes Benz C250 Sedan 2012
Hello, I've posted in the sedan section for the W204, that I'm occasionally having misfires and a check engine light with the error code P00017.
The car is now at 100K don't know if the previous owner ever performed a service for these but luckily I don't have the delayed or loud rattling startup.
Changed the oil and haven't had any misfires yet but it is concerning to me since it continues to linger in the back of my mind.

Currently in college and bought this car in December since I needed it for the winter. Not too sure how viable this is going to be.
Any advice?
Old 03-19-2018, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by bigab24
Hello, I've posted in the sedan section for the W204, that I'm occasionally having misfires and a check engine light with the error code P00017.
The car is now at 100K don't know if the previous owner ever performed a service for these but luckily I don't have the delayed or loud rattling startup.
Changed the oil and haven't had any misfires yet but it is concerning to me since it continues to linger in the back of my mind.

Currently in college and bought this car in December since I needed it for the winter. Not too sure how viable this is going to be.
Any advice?
Misfires often aren't the cam adjusters. Check your coils and plugs first, then go after the source of whatever faults you are still having.

You're in south FL? I am a tech at MB of Miami, if you need a local tech.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes Benz C250 Sedan 2012
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
Misfires often aren't the cam adjusters. Check your coils and plugs first, then go after the source of whatever faults you are still having.

You're in south FL? I am a tech at MB of Miami, if you need a local tech.
Wow, thanks a lot for reaching out to me including the advice! I drive from Parkland to Boston essentially every semester and will be down in may.

As you mentioned I was surprised that the misfire was accompanied by the cam positioning sensor check engine light message.
Just picked up a pair of iridium spark plugs with the correct gapping, which hopefully fix the issue.

I'll definitely reach out to you if I need any help!
Thanks a lot
Old 06-15-2018, 11:41 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 C350 Coupe
I have the 4 cyl ending in my 2013 C250 coupe and back in April I had the timing chain tension pulley fail and the engine die. It spent two and a half weeks at the dealership having the engine rebuilt as the chain jumped the sprocket and messed everything up. It's back running again and I no longer have that rough sound for a second or 2 when I start the engine. I'm glad that it was covered under the last month of my CPO warranty. The good news is that the work comes with 2 years parts and labor coverage. The bad news is that I'm now out of warranty and hoping that nothing else this bad happens.

My service advisor mentioned that this is the third engine they have dealt with that had this problem. There have been many discussions on this subject. What gets me is why Mercedes doesn't flag this and do something preemptive to keep us from thinking about switching brands after this car.
Old 06-17-2018, 05:01 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Mercedes C250 Coupe
Beav, how many miles on your car.......

(I have the same 4-cyl M271)

Muchas gracias

ez
Old 01-10-2019, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W205
Originally Posted by ezshift5

Muchas gracias

ez
my friends C200 CGI 2011 (dame m271 engine) has this issue, when starting the engine on cold it sounds like a diesel, no delay yet but is sounds weird for 2 seconds, loss of power on high revs some times also and a cylinder warning on cylinder 4 sometimes, camshaft adjuster failure both and exhaust need change and also the tensioner, this is a well know issue of all m271s, I have a friend with a shop and he has couple more m271s with the same problem all under 50000km or 30000 miles, mercedes should have recalled this, each actuator is 700 bucks the tensor is 130 plus labor and taxes.

im definetly looking for a third party replacement not only for price but quality as the replacement part is not likely to be differente, the engine was updated on 2012 thought so the fixed part won't fit.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:12 PM

2015 C350 Coupe
Originally Posted by ezshift5

Muchas gracias

ez
My vehicle had just over 60,000 miles on the odometer. Luckily it was in the last month of the CPO warranty and everything was taken care of. In talking to my service advisor, he mentioned that Mercedes is well aware of this problem, and has decided to fix vehicles on an as needed basis rather than issuing a recall. Mine was the third vehicle to come into the shop for this exact problem. I wish I could speak highly of Mercedes Benz, but my friend and I call them the best of nothing. Beyond the engine issue, I have had other issues that were fixed under warranty like the lifters on the sun roof, the sun roof control panel... What bothers me the most is the number of issues I have that are referred to as "Trim" issues that will not get fixed unless I do them myself. It's as if Mercedes expects us to accept poor quality in exchange for the perception of luxury which has not existed in quite some years.

I have been thinking of replacing my car as the warranty is now long since gone and another mishap like this could cost me dearly. My challenge now is to find something as exciting to drive that has great reliability and earns me compliments for owning such a nice car. I know I shouldn't be focusing on impressing myself or others, but I realize that I have but one life to live and want to enjoy it as best I can. That is why I am leaning towards buying a car that isa few years old and driving the heck out of it. I think some long road trips are in my future.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
2013 C350 Coupe, 2005 C230K Kleemann Sedan, 2013 GLK350 4matic
With over 147000 miles on my W203 with the M271 engine, I have not had had any issues with my timing chain. I have had it since new and have used Mobil 1 oil and have performed recommend service on schedule.
Old 12-24-2019, 01:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 - C250
Originally Posted by zichen169
Thank you for the feedbacks everyone.

I took my car to the dealer and the issues turned out to be timing chain tensioner and timing chain adjuster both faulty. Mercedes USA was able to fix my issue for free under goodwill because my car just came out of warrenty! Thanks everyone the car runs perfect now
Hi,

Can you please provide details on how you were able to negotiate with MB USA? Who did you call and how did you make this happen?
Old 04-10-2020, 04:36 PM

2015 C350 Coupe
I'm glad to hear that MB took care of you. I at 60K was the recipient of the failed tensioner an guide rails. The car sat at the shop for almost a month getting put back to right. Since then the head gasket they used failed and now I'm trying to decide if I should get rid of the car or not. I do enjoy driving it.