C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Check Engine Light on my 98 C230

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2002, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 C230
Check Engine Light on my 98 C230

I previously had this problem at 53k miles and brought it to the dealer to have diagnosed and fixed. Aparently it was a faulty air mass meter giving me the check engine light, so it cost me 650 to get a new one (along with inspection/labor).

Now that I've driven it a bit more the light came back on at 54k miles and am questioning wether or not the dealer did the job correctly or not. It may be nothing though, because when I did some self checks on what may be causing the light, I noticed the fuel cap wasnt screwed on tightly. I had retightened it until it clicked/locked in place...

...still getting the check engine light on, sigh.

Should I bring the car back to the dealer again?
How do I disconnect the battery to reset the light...
I want to see if the light would come back on after
I retightened the fuel cap.
Old 07-19-2002, 12:13 PM

2002 C320
This keeps happening to my car...but it's hard to tell what it is unless you hook it up to a computer to read the code..luckily the shop I go to lets me do it all the time (since it keeps popping up)...the codes are usually non-active, so the car still runs normally...i'm probably going to just pull the bulb out and go to the shop every month or so and just check to make sure that I don't have any serious engine codes...

it started happening to my 94 C280 right after i hit 90k miles...i've replaced 02 sensors, ERG valves (or something like that), and still no luck..the latest error i have is P0170 Fuel Trim...does anyone know what that is?
Old 07-20-2002, 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1998 C230
Grr, why the hell did they make it like this?

You can never have peace of mind.

Has anyone actually resolved their repeated check engine light issues?

I also need to know how to properly disconnect the battery so the light can reset itself. Anyone know?
Old 07-22-2002, 04:47 AM
Almost a Member!

1995 C280 & 2002 CLK320 Cabrio
You simply unplug the battery? Just unhook the positive terminal for a few moments... what don't you understand?? E-mail me if you still don't get it... I hope I can help.

BTW, Battery is in the in trunk, on the passenger side, under the floor panel.
Old 07-23-2002, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
14'G63 AMG ,1994 Mercedes E500, 2020 Range Rover HST
I had the same code P0170 and i have a friend who cheks my computer all the time he said thet when the code pops out you got to reset it and fill up your tank he said that it happens when you drive on reserve alot. My check engine light came on to i hooked it up to the computer reseted it and it came back again it was the MAF sensor but then i took the car for a long drive and it shut off by it self so i dont know what is going on.
Old 07-24-2002, 09:31 AM

2002 C320
Man, I bet MB has something in the program where if your car hits over 90kmiles, that light just keeps coming on.. I haven't had a chance to take it to the mechanic to have the code read again...if I get it again, i'll post on mercedesshop and see what the master techs have to say about it...
Old 12-11-2002, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1998 C230
Fixed

I unplugged the battery and the light went away, but after a few miles the light came back on.

I decided to take it to a local shop and have the air mass meter replaced, since the dealer diagnosed that as the problem.

Fast forward a few days later and with a new air mass meter the light did not go away.

Luckily, the mechanic (a friend of mine) took it out and did not charge me at all, so I took my car back to the dealer and decided to bite the bullet.

Original diagnostic, new air mass meter, and labor at MB dealer = 600 bucks.

A little pricey compared to the deal that I got from the local shop, but they got everything right and its been driving fine, 4k+ miles and no problems, finally peace of mind.
Old 12-12-2002, 07:44 AM

Try reconnect the battery see if it comes up again...

k-god
Old 12-13-2002, 05:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
c220--sold now--W210
That Check Engine Light is a real pain. I started to have mine come on about a year ago and I spent a ton of money just trying to keep that light off. I had problems with the Wiring Harness, Throttle Body, Bowen Cable which controls the shift timing--$700, O2 sensors, and a few others I don't want to remember.

I think you should do whatever to get it fixed, that light is really annoying, especially at night.
Old 12-14-2002, 08:58 AM

Well to keep the light off...u shouldn't have go to the dealer and spend any bucks on it...becuz it won't be off til they make u spend all ur money on all the things that have made up. You see why the light comes up again and again? becuz they never fix anything just simply reset the computer and the light comes up again after a while...so u should be really careful of what they are doing behind u...stop wasting ur money...

regardz,

k-god
Old 12-23-2002, 11:00 PM

When my CEL light popped up I had the codes pulled at the AZ for free. I had misfire codes/egr code. They cleared the codes too, and then I addressed the problems myself. Just taking the cable off the battery may clear the light but it doesn't address the problem.

On many of the c280s the car throws a code because of a clogged egr valve from pcv vapors. They can just replace the egr but the problem will still be there because the carbon buildup gets pulled into the new egr valve. I've read posts where people threw mad money at this CEL light when in the end it was this. I think they run a speedometer cable through the steel pipe to the inlet side and "snake out" the carbon buildup. Don't quote me word for word on this.

You can call down to AZ and they'll tell you what that general code is. I wouldn't trust a dealer ever ever ever ever. They'll lie cheat, and steal and all the problems can be there the next week.
Old 12-24-2002, 03:03 PM

1996 c280
check engine light reset

you very well may have fixed your problem, however.... the dealership must RESET the check engine light, once it comes on, it stays on until it is reset, whether or not the problem is fixed....
Old 12-24-2002, 04:47 PM

Mine was cleared with the obdII scan tool and never came back on again. Maybe it depends on the yr? Mines a 94.
Old 12-24-2002, 06:53 PM

1999 C280 Sport
same problem but fixed it w/ new air mass meter

Hello All,

I had the same error code P0170 & P0173. At first I thought it might be faulty and was going to replace the O2 sensors. Luckily I had it diagnosed at a local (non-MB) shop and the guy troubleshot it to the Air Mass Meter. Replaced it and everything looks good 1K+ miles later. According to those error codes, the mechanic said that their could be a leak in the intake and hence the O2 sensor detects that the engine is running lean. Not sure what all that meant but luckily my problem was the Air Mass Meter. You could buy that on www.benzbin.com for about $220 shipped.

Goodluck,

timecop369
Old 12-25-2002, 03:18 AM

95 C280
I dont know why people keep saying that mercedes is a good durable car, its not. People spend more money on tunu-ps and other parts than honda owners. THE really durable mercedes were the old DISEL ones, that could std over 225,000 miles.

Elvir
Old 12-25-2002, 03:24 AM

Originally posted by C280 Jr.
I dont know why people keep saying that mercedes is a good durable car, its not. People spend more money on tunu-ps and other parts than honda owners. THE really durable mercedes were the old DISEL ones, that could std over 225,000 miles.

Elvir
I would agree with you on that. It's too bad. They are still fun as hell to drive though. I can only drive mine because I do most of the work myself and because of the information obtained on the internet. I have a Toyota and my Benz, and like them both for different reasons.
Old 12-25-2002, 03:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
C63, GT3RS, 430 Scud, E63, CGT
i dont drive my benz caus my dad said gas cost too much, so i have to drive my SUV caus gas is cheaper
Old 12-25-2002, 03:30 AM

95 C280
When it comes to that i drive my geo metro with 3 cylinders.
i get 45 miles per galon and buy the cheeapst gass!!

Elvir
Old 12-25-2002, 12:45 PM

haha, I used to have a metro in Florida. I'd put ten bucks in it and drive for like two weeks! It was a great car. Small, not safe, a step above a motorcycle, but a great car none-the-less.
Old 12-25-2002, 01:20 PM

95 C280
Yup its a nice car, i have it for 9 years now, and still did not sell it probaby because i use it for work do deliver pizza, cause its so fuel effiecient, i just put 140,000 miles yesterday on it, still runs great.

Elvir
Old 12-25-2002, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1998 C230
Before I bought my first MB, I always thought these kinds of cars wouldnt be troublesome maitenance wise. also thought it would be more durable/reliable for longer miles then the american/jap cars.

i dont have enuff experience with my MB yet to share my own experience, but up to this point, i havent had many mechanical problems and costly maitenence.

i really think its how you drive the car... and a little bit of luck heh
Old 12-25-2002, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1998 C230
if i could buy another car right now im not really sure if i'd get a mercedes again. i LOVE the heritage and worldly reputation of mercedes, but i really dislike all the new changes that they are doing to their cars...

ie: those new "mushed-together" head lights found on the new SL and C. that black stripe in the back of the c kompressor coupe.
the dealer hassles where you have feelings of distrust towards them.

anyone else feel the same way? i believe alot in good honest service and i want to feel that i can bring it to the dealer and know that im being told the truth and given the best economical choices for my wallet + car.

im not really dissing other MB owners who may happen to have the new C + SL, just a personal opinion that i have towards the new models + current mb service at the dealer.

maybe i'd feel different if i had alot of money and didnt care if i got hussled at the dealer and to deal with all the maitenence, but im just an average joe with an average wallet size... i got big sense of taste/style tho, hence owning a mercedes
Old 12-25-2002, 11:27 PM

I agree about the dealers. I've heard countless tales about those guys. Same mold that made the HMO executives I suppose.

I love all the older MBZ, all the way back to the late 50's. I especially like the diesels from 70's to 80's. I love the way my c280 rides, nice and heavy. I've read many posts that claimed MB was built then priced and now it's built to a price. I agree with that to an extent. I really am disapointed with the head gasket/wiring harness issue that most dealers try to snake out of.

I bought mine from a gentleman who sells used MBz and he helped me with the head gasket when the dealers would not. Now that is service!! The little guy with less $$$ helping out the customer. So to MB I say shame on them!

I'll see how this thing drives out over the next couple of years. Ideally I'd like to keep it for five to eight more years, I hope it's good to me (as I am good to her). Like I said before I love the way it feels when I drive it. But if it were a money pit I'd consider a little less of a "feel" when I drive and pick up an Acura or Infinity the next time around. As I get older I prefer less headaches; if money were no object I'd always drive a Benz though!
Old 12-27-2002, 10:30 AM

2002 C320
I'm definitely not going to buy another benz again...My C320 is leased, so that's fine...maintenance is covered for 4 years, so pretty much I don't have to spend money getting anything fixed (oil changes included). The cost of fixing and maintaining the C280 is pretty high, and at this point, it's not even worth getting rid of the car.

I hope I can get rid of this stupid check engine light...arg...it's driving me crazy...

oh, and yesterday the wiper decides to stop working..it's stuck in an almost verticle position...it's not the fuse, so I'm assuming it's the motor...another $153 down the drain...
Old 12-28-2002, 02:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 SLK-280
Why don't they just make a check engine light forum?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light on my 98 C230