C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

W202 Mirror Fix

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 04:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C280
W202 Mirror Fix

Just thought I would post this in case someone else has the same problem and does not want to shell out the bucks for a new mirror assembly.

I've had some challenges with a broken passenger side mirror. Somehow, the hook thing that holds the mirror assembly in place broke. Replacing it meant getting an entire mirror assembly (less the cover). That was a bit too pricey (> $200). I figured there had to be a way to fix it. The spring they use in these mirrors is ridiculously strong (would probably work on a suspension somewhere), anyway, my first attempt was to epoxy the hook back on. Didn't think it would work, and it didn't. It did result in the area getting filled with epoxy. I then tried screwing an eye hook into the epoxy. That held for about a month, but the eye hook pulled out of the epoxy. My last fix, and I am confident this will hold is to basically bolt an eye hook through the thing, using a couple of fender washers for support. Here are some pics. A couple of bucks for parts and a couple hours and this should be stronger that original.

W202 Mirror Fix-mirrorhook1.jpg
I had to grind off the washers so the rubber would fit back through.

W202 Mirror Fix-mirrorhook2.jpg
Back side picture. No problems with clearance after it is installed.

W202 Mirror Fix-mirrorhook3.jpg
Assembled, not sure what possessed them to use the monster spring on these mirrors.
The following users liked this post:
SyberTiger (05-18-2016)
Old 02-13-2010, 05:08 PM

C230K
Nice!
Old 02-13-2010, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ooh, nice writeup. A little confusing, but i read it too fast. My passenger sideview mirror is also messed up. Hopefully this will help me diy a repair instead of buying a replacement bracket set/assembly.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:16 PM

C280
Let me know if you have any questions. My mirror was just flopping around. Once you have it off, and with the pictures, you should be able to see what I did. I picked up the eye hooks and washers at Home Depot and had to cut a small chunk out of the eye hooks as they are complete, closed circles (cut a small piece of the eye to make the hook). I used a Dremel to grind down the part where the hook broke off of the mirror bracket to make it flat so the fender washer would sit flat under the hook. After having the mirror off the car, the only tools I used where a Dremel, bench grinder, hack-saw and adjustable wrench. Oh, did use a drill to make the hole in the fender washers a little bigger.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97C230
Hookster,

Very good tip and information.

Thanks,
RPin
Old 02-15-2010, 01:03 PM

1999 C280 Sport
excellent idea. good pictures and saves big bucks.My mirror broke at the swing arm section and I used a small rill and drilled it out and ran a small nail through it and works like new. It's these small things that save the bucks so we can spend it on something else for the car.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:44 AM

99 C230K
99MBSport:

I'm interested in your fix for the hinge. You are speaking of the brass-colored hinge in Hookster's pictures, correct? Mine also broke near the top end when someone clipped the mirror in a parking lot. I thought of doing the same sort of "drill-&-nail" fix, but it will take a very small drill it seems. What size drill did you use? You used a Dremel perhaps? Did you do the drilling while the mirror was on the car, or off? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Hookster, nice job on your fix. You're right about that massive spring. When my hinge broke, I had to lessen the tension with a loop of coathanger wire between the spring and its attachment site, so that my mirror would sit relatively straight on the car. Hopefully, I can now do the drill&nail fix for my hinge problem.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2000 C230 Sport, 2013 C350 Sport
The spring attachment is broken on mine and I'd like to try this fix, but the mirror is also cracked. The cheapest mirror with the backing plate and 5-pin connector is $182!

RockAuto has a replacement glass for $7.52, but I'm not sure how I would attach it to the backing plate. Has anyone replaced the mirror only?
Old 05-10-2016, 04:21 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
C230
Hookster is right....I used the spring to tow a truck out of a pond, and it wouldn't even stretch :-)
Anyone doing it for the first time should look it up on YouTube, to be sure they understand how to release the mirror cover properly. If you don't do it properly, there is a chance the cover won't snap back on correctly. I am speaking from experience. The rule is, if all else fails, read the instructions, or Don't force it, use a bigger hammer.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:30 AM

1998 C230 (w202)
Thanks to your post I was easily able to fix both the driver and passenger side mirrors at a cost of less than $1. If you own a Dremel tool and a bench grinder it takes so little time. I took some pics too and will post them when I get a chance.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:58 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
1998 C43 AMG
Great post and write-up, hookster!

And he's right, for those of you who want to fix your busted side-view mirrors, that spring that holds the mirror to the body is STRONG! This is a great fix for those of you who don't want to go to a junk yard and pull your own replacement mirror.

I pulled a working mirror from a local Pick-N-Pull yard and replaced the entire internal package, which was much easier and faster than trying to swap out all the moving parts.

Do it. So much better having a properly working mirror.