C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Advice for service work

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 c230 kompressor SS 6MT & 07 BMW 335i
Advice for service work

I could use some advice on how to proceed with fixing a few newfound problems with my C.

I brought my car in for a regular service today and received a call back regarding a few problems they found. First, my head gasket is leaking and I was quoted +/- $500 for the job. My cam sensors are also leaking and replacement, pigtails and wire/engine cleaning would cost $450. Even though there is a recall, my VIN does not fall into the years so I am taking that one in the rear. Also, my rear sway bar bushings are worn ($400) and both rear knuckle assemblies (?) need replacing +/- $600.

I was a little surprised with the $2000 number, but obviously the oil leaks are problems that need to be addressed pretty quickly. The ride quality is suffering from the worn rear suspension components, so those too need to be replaced ASAP.

My question is, what would you recommend i get done first, and should I have any of this done at the dealer? I have no problem using an indy, but I just want to make sure I get the right part numbers for everything so the job gets done right. Does anyone know of roundabout pricing for any of these jobs, with parts, at an indy shop? Thanks in advance!!!
Old 04-07-2010, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by jokerswld34
I could use some advice on how to proceed with fixing a few newfound problems with my C.

I brought my car in for a regular service today and received a call back regarding a few problems they found. First, my head gasket is leaking and I was quoted +/- $500 for the job. My cam sensors are also leaking and replacement, pigtails and wire/engine cleaning would cost $450. Even though there is a recall, my VIN does not fall into the years so I am taking that one in the rear. Also, my rear sway bar bushings are worn ($400) and both rear knuckle assemblies (?) need replacing +/- $600.

I was a little surprised with the $2000 number, but obviously the oil leaks are problems that need to be addressed pretty quickly. The ride quality is suffering from the worn rear suspension components, so those too need to be replaced ASAP.

My question is, what would you recommend i get done first, and should I have any of this done at the dealer? I have no problem using an indy, but I just want to make sure I get the right part numbers for everything so the job gets done right. Does anyone know of roundabout pricing for any of these jobs, with parts, at an indy shop? Thanks in advance!!!
I'm sure the 230 folks know more about this than I do but some questions...how many miles? Where/what is the head gasket leaking and how much fluid is it? Pigtails can be serious but once again, how much fluid? Is there play in the rear sway bushings or are they just visually cracked where they protrude? Are the knuckle assemblies (?) worn so you can see the parts move independently of one another? Regardless, an indy would be cheaper for any of the above. The last time I had my car in for service they gave me a ridiculous list of recommended repairs. All questionable at best, bogus for sure. $2K worth. Most of the recommendations were for gasket replacements to repair leaks....that were nothing more than normal weeping of fluid after mileage.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:07 AM

'01 c320
You should done the engine related repair job first since it might cause other problem

I changed my head gasket with individual mechanics, he charged me $200 for the labor and parts.

I think for the rear sway bar bushing you can change by yourself, just get the parts from dealer or website. Have you search in forum about DIY rear sway bar bushing?
Old 04-08-2010, 03:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
did they do a pressure test on the engine? What psi are you getting across the cylinders?

Usually if your not burning coolant or oil, then its not a head gasket. I would wait for the pressure test first before you spend hundreds to thousands of dollars.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:32 AM

05 c230 kompressor SS 6MT & 07 BMW 335i
Thanks for the advice. The car has 140K on it, all driven by me. The car runs very well, no knocks or ticking or rough idle. I had no idea the head gasket could be leaking, because i have not lost any coolant, it appears free of oil, and never have to add oil during 5000 mile oil intervals. As per the cam sensors, i knew they were a problem, just trying to get the recall to save me the bucks...

The pressure test sounds like a good idea before taking the head off. should i have mercedes do that or take it to an indy? It doesnt appear to have a lot of oil leaking out, just some buildup over time. the cam sensor leak probably makes it look worse than it really is.

The sway bar bushings im not too concerned with because they arent cracked or anything. Just worn and have some play. I know i can get those replaced cheap and can probably DIY.

But the rear assemblies seem like something to be replaced quickly, as my rear end is hopping out. ill check on parts when im at the dealer and let you know more after speaking with my SA.

Im thinking of having the dealer do the cam sensors and get them all cleaned up, and get an alignment done. After that ill take it to an indy to deal with the rear assemblies and check the head gasket. Hopefully that will shave off some $$$ from the $2000 MB quote.