C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Beasley's 2006 C350 6MT Thread, come one, come all!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Originally Posted by cpbeasley
about time you chimed in

so, does that mean someone came at my car with SDS at some point in its life?

I cant wait to start the *tasteful* modifications... esp the tune
Sorry....busy day yesterday. Yup, most likely taken to an independent shop who owns one or to the dealer although turning off the seat belt chime doesn't sound like the dealer would do but you never know.

Tune is definitely worth it. There has been couple of members who had their ECU tuned and their car would go into limp mode when they hopped on the pedal hard...so if you're going to mail your ECU just make sure you inquire about that. Also try to ship it to known tuners. Some of the stories I heard about these shady tuners are shocking.

How does the car feel? Is the clutch strong or soft on the Benz?
Old 11-30-2010, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 Chevrolet SS, 2006 Cadillac STS-V
about time you chimed in

so, does that mean someone came at my car with SDS at some point in its life?

I cant wait to start the *tasteful* modifications... esp the tune
Anything is possible, but my 06 came with the beep fron the factory (since it still had panic working). Did you check if the seat belt connector was unplugged and the connector jumpered to turn off the chime (there should be one connector for the SRS restraint and one connector for the buckle sensor).
Old 11-30-2010, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Originally Posted by 91RS
Anything is possible, but my 06 came with the beep fron the factory (since it still had panic working). Did you check if the seat belt connector was unplugged and the connector jumpered to turn off the chime (there should be one connector for the SRS restraint and one connector for the buckle sensor).
Panic has nothing to do with it. Any 05+ can have the beep and panic. It's just the people who do it are idiots and don't know how to. Rollnnn had his done and he lost his panic feature...then he met Karo and now has the chirp and Panic feature
Old 11-30-2010, 11:41 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"annoyance" and "self-righteousness", amoung others...
Originally Posted by Karo
Sorry....busy day yesterday. Yup, most likely taken to an independent shop who owns one or to the dealer although turning off the seat belt chime doesn't sound like the dealer would do but you never know.

Tune is definitely worth it. There has been couple of members who had their ECU tuned and their car would go into limp mode when they hopped on the pedal hard...so if you're going to mail your ECU just make sure you inquire about that. Also try to ship it to known tuners. Some of the stories I heard about these shady tuners are shocking.

How does the car feel? Is the clutch strong or soft on the Benz?
It definitely feels solid. The suspension is responsive, steering is tight... it feels like a Benz should, unlike my 230 did (ie...everytime my wife drove mine she had always commented how it felt nothing like hers). Anyhow, its such a pleasant suprise with 60k miles on the clock.

The engine purrs. Has a great sound to it, very throaty & healthy. Pulls suprisingly hard, down low and up high. Very impressed with the 0-60... hell, the 0-80.

Clutch was also a surprise. I expected it to be light and fluffy to pamper the royal feets... wrong. Heavy, a bit springy. I dont mind however, as it translates to a confident clutch grip that contained my 3Krpm feather dumps into successful launches at sub freezing ambient temps. It does make quick, smooth shifts a bit of a challenge, but I assume my brain and foot will find the way to smoother, spirited shifts as time goes on.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 C230K, 2016 Honda CR-V, '74 Lotus Europa
Congratulations on your new toy!!! It sure sounds like you got yourself a really nice ride!! Keep us posted with what you do with it.

As for the wife, I have two words of advice: "Yes, dear."

Good luck with both!
Old 11-30-2010, 12:19 PM
mlg

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
06 C350 sport 6MT
sweet

check some of my posts, have same car in white and have done many mods, some great and some so so. i test drove a 330i before purchase and there was no comparison. i am vary fond of my car and slap on new tires every 6-8 kmiles. fire me a pm and ill walk u thru the mods, its gets even better!
Old 11-30-2010, 12:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ncmudbug
Congratulations on your new toy!!! It sure sounds like you got yourself a really nice ride!! Keep us posted with what you do with it.

As for the wife, I have two words of advice: "Yes, dear."

Good luck with both!
LoL. A little bit of that mixed with a little bit of sugar got me through the night unscathed (despite the divorce threats last night haha)
Its nice to know I have car as well as man support here

Will keep the mods up to date! Cant wait to get into it... wife has already deemed loud exhaust off limits! I can cave though as the acceleration makes up for lack of audible exhaust note
Old 11-30-2010, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 C230K, 2016 Honda CR-V, '74 Lotus Europa
The nice thing is if you did have to sleep in the car, you've got a nice one to do it in!
Old 11-30-2010, 01:29 PM
pcy
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
'14 ML350, '13 C220 CDI, '07 C280, '98 ML320
would you please post a picture of the engine compartment?
I wonder how much space is left to work around the engine with that engine.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Originally Posted by pcy
Same space as yours. Engine size is the exact same.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:37 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
congrats
Old 11-30-2010, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
e36 318i, 2004 sti
twin turbos?
Old 11-30-2010, 08:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pcy
Same space as yours. Engine size is the exact same.
^^^ what he said.

and thanks Frank! Now to get rid of the c230... ugh
Old 11-30-2010, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Panic has nothing to do with it. Any 05+ can have the beep and panic. It's just the people who do it are idiots and don't know how to. Rollnnn had his done and he lost his panic feature...then he met Karo and now has the chirp and Panic feature
It does if you're trying to determine whether or not the netherlands setting is being used. Would you mind PMing me the procedure to get the lock/unlock beeps in "US" mode to keep the panic? I searched for a while before I had mine set and couldn't find any info at all in keeping the panic function for my 05, so I just asked my dealer to make it beep and they did (using the netherlands setting).
Old 11-30-2010, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 794 Likes on 597 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
I'm just glad you didn't listen to the it's-a-bad-manual stuff that Glyn says. I trust his word, he knows his stuff for sure - but he just doesn't understand people like myself. I respect Honda manuals as some of the best there is, yes. I've never driven a Mercedes manual so I don't have experience. But I think even a bad manual is much more fun than a good automatic, which the 722.6 and 722.9 certainly qualify.

It's good to hear this backed up. The W203 BEGS for a manual transmission. I really, really wish I'd gotten one. While you can't base reliability off of two examples there are two members on here, both with 05 230K 6MTs, one with 160k and one with over 200k and never issues with the transmission.

Keep us informed of your likes and dislikes and your experiences with this very rare bird. I said it in your other thread and I'll say it again, the 6MT 350 is probably the rarest and best W203 out there - AMGs included. Three pedals are absolutely necessary for maximum driving satisfaction to me and it always will be. Horsepower does not make up for control.

As for your wife.. if you don't like to deal with women, date men.

And Trey - Eat Me.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 UFO
^^^ what he said.

and thanks Frank! Now to get rid of the c230... ugh
Easy enough.

Should I PM you my address?
Old 11-30-2010, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
As for your wife.. if you don't like to deal with women, date men.

And Trey - Eat Me.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
It does if you're trying to determine whether or not the netherlands setting is being used. Would you mind PMing me the procedure to get the lock/unlock beeps in "US" mode to keep the panic? I searched for a while before I had mine set and couldn't find any info at all in keeping the panic function for my 05, so I just asked my dealer to make it beep and they did (using the netherlands setting).
You said yours came with the beep and you still had panic therefore yours came with it factory. That's why I said panic doesn't matter, the panic feature along with the beep has nothing to do with it being from the dealer or not.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
I'm just glad you didn't listen to the it's-a-bad-manual stuff that Glyn says. I trust his word, he knows his stuff for sure - but he just doesn't understand people like myself. I respect Honda manuals as some of the best there is, yes. I've never driven a Mercedes manual so I don't have experience. But I think even a bad manual is much more fun than a good automatic, which the 722.6 and 722.9 certainly qualify.

It's good to hear this backed up. The W203 BEGS for a manual transmission. I really, really wish I'd gotten one. While you can't base reliability off of two examples there are two members on here, both with 05 230K 6MTs, one with 160k and one with over 200k and never issues with the transmission.
I use to believe this for the BMW as well but couple of weeks ago I was in a DCT M3 and then recently got to experience one and I'll tell you the DCT is 10 timer better than the 6MT and keep in mind it's BMW's 6MT.

As for Mercedes the 7G is ok and I would prefer a 6MT over that. If the shifts of the 7G were more dead on like the DCT is then I would take the 7G. Slowly with the advancements of automatic transmissions there is really no need for a manual. Plus with these new transmissions you can do everything that a manual can. Launch, rev, shift quicker than a manual

While BMW and others create sport trannies MB just adds more gears
Old 12-01-2010, 07:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You said yours came with the beep and you still had panic therefore yours came with it factory. That's why I said panic doesn't matter, the panic feature along with the beep has nothing to do with it being from the dealer or not.
No, my 06 C230 came with the beep (where panic worked) but my 05 C55 did not come with the beep and I had to get it turned on (but they used the netherlands setting which looses the panic feature). I would like to have it changed to the way you've used to keep the panic functional so all my buttons work.

I use to believe this for the BMW as well but couple of weeks ago I was in a DCT M3 and then recently got to experience one and I'll tell you the DCT is 10 timer better than the 6MT and keep in mind it's BMW's 6MT.

As for Mercedes the 7G is ok and I would prefer a 6MT over that. If the shifts of the 7G were more dead on like the DCT is then I would take the 7G. Slowly with the advancements of automatic transmissions there is really no need for a manual. Plus with these new transmissions you can do everything that a manual can. Launch, rev, shift quicker than a manual

While BMW and others create sport trannies MB just adds more gears
While DCT might be "better," faster, stronger; I would still MUCH rather have a real manual transmission. I want to be in control of the power and feel that mechanical shift. There's nothing like it, it adds to the complete driving experience. The only reason I have an automatic now is because the AMG isn't offered with one and I just can't own a BMW or Audi and I can't afford the insurance on a Vette just yet. Even if I bought a Lamborghini I would tell them where to shove that e-gear crap, I don't want stupid flappy paddles.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
No, my 06 C230 came with the beep (where panic worked) but my 05 C55 did not come with the beep and I had to get it turned on (but they used the netherlands setting which looses the panic feature). I would like to have it changed to the way you've used to keep the panic functional so all my buttons work.

While DCT might be "better," faster, stronger; I would still MUCH rather have a real manual transmission. I want to be in control of the power and feel that mechanical shift. There's nothing like it, it adds to the complete driving experience. The only reason I have an automatic now is because the AMG isn't offered with one and I just can't own a BMW or Audi and I can't afford the insurance on a Vette just yet. Even if I bought a Lamborghini I would tell them where to shove that e-gear crap, I don't want stupid flappy paddles.
Makes sense, I'll get couple of screen shots of the process. It's the exact same procedure only difference is the 05+ SAM is capable of "USA with Buzzer".

Edit:
You will also need SDS that's not ancient.

Last edited by W203E35; 12-01-2010 at 07:21 AM.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Makes sense, I'll get couple of screen shots of the process. It's the exact same procedure only difference is the 05+ SAM is capable of "USA with Buzzer".

Edit:
You will also need SDS that's not ancient.
Alright, thanks. I would imagine my dealer's SDS isn't that old. Their facility is relatively new.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:50 AM

12 E350 4Matic Sport
Nice ride man. Not meaning to hijack your thread or anything, but wondering if I can turn this Netherlands 'beep-beep' setting on with my 04 pre-facelift as it makes no sound currently when locking/unlocking. I'd like to turn that on, any ideas fellas?
Old 12-01-2010, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 c230
cpbeasley, you finally got it! Congratulations. I am in envy. IMO, you can not compare an auto to a manual. Rev-matching on downshifts, changing gears at peak rpm... that is why I opted for a manual.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Originally Posted by vdemon311
cpbeasley, you finally got it! Congratulations. I am in envy. IMO, you can not compare an auto to a manual. Rev-matching on downshifts, changing gears at peak rpm... that is why I opted for a manual.
Unless you're like Milkman who tries to revmatch and downshifts and bogs the car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Beasley's 2006 C350 6MT Thread, come one, come all!