C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

SRS Malfunction Visit Workshop - 02' C240

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 10:08 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
14' C300, '07 G500 & '02 C240
SRS Malfunction Visit Workshop - 02' C240

As I was driving to school this morning a plethora of errors came up on Instrument Cluster Display screen.

The first one had a lightning bolt (possibly electrical) symbol that said "Display Malfunction Visit Workshop" the other had a light symbol that also said "Display Malfunction Visit Workshop". Then I had another issue that said "Tele-Aid Visit Workshop" and then the fourth one, "SRS Restraint System Malfunction Visit Workshop." So I was baffled, I pulled over and shut off the car took the key out and then placed it back in. Now it just says SRS Restraint System Malfunction Visit Workshop. I'm in class right now but I thought I would post this up to see if anyone knows what could be wrong. The car just past the 77,000 Milestone and I just did Service B on it at 76,000 miles. The car is a 2002 W203 so its about 8 years old so I guess its normal to get problems like this.

My guess would tell me that its a sensor problem or perhaps a fuse. I did call the dealer and scheduled an appointment as this is something that an independent worker would not be able to diagnose. The operator I spoke to over the phone said that they have to put the car on a computer to see what is causing the issue. I guess they are gonna use the Star Diagnostic Tool. But anyway for those who have had this issue could this be potentially expensive to fix? The car is out of warranty at this point..

I'm guessing the restraint system is the system that controls the seatbelt tightening when suddenly braking or doing abrupt manaeuvers along with the control of airbag deployment in the event of a terrible accident.

Any ideas as to what to do? I am gonna bring it to the "stealer" on Wednesday Morning. But as we all know, anything problems involving "sensors or electrical" is a huge problem financially especially if the car is out of warranty...

Last edited by Vlad-II; 04-04-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 C280 4matic Avantgarde
I would say your battery is going bad, if not then alternator voltage regulator. How old is your battery?
Old 04-04-2011, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by ontmiss
I would say your battery is going bad, if not then alternator voltage regulator. How old is your battery?
The battery is about 2 years old. I changed it in 2008. So I doubt its the battery... But as you mentioned, the alternator has never been changed. These errors showed up while I was driving on the freeway. ts weird though because the minute I turned off the car and then turned it back on, most of the errors dissappeared except for the SRS Restraint System Malfunction Warning.

So it was kinda weird, after class I'm gonna try to start the car again to see if the problem persists. It seems like some sort of voltage spike occured during the drive which could have possibly blown some fuses or perhaps some type of short circuit. It was raining profusely this morning, but I doubt that could cause it it may just be a coincidence that it rained, lol and this occurred.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 C280 4matic Avantgarde
anyway if you fix problem srs light will not go away, has to be cleard by stardas, obd2 scaner can't do it
Old 04-04-2011, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Take it to an indy to clear the code and see if it reoccurs. I seem to remember this same error string happening to several other forum members with a CAN bus error code popping up.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:30 PM

Ok ill take it to an indy. How much would the stealer charge for something as simple as clearing a code?
Old 04-04-2011, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by Vlad-II
... How much would the stealer charge for something as simple as clearing a code?
$120, one hour minimum, depends on dealer. They'll also guess at some part based on the error code. Problem is you don't know if it's transient/one time or not.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:04 AM

Ok so I'm on the way to the dealer now. I have no idea what to expect or how much it will cost. For those who live in Long Island here in NY, Rallye Motors is among the most expensive dealers. . I'm hoping whatever the issue is won't burn a hole into the debt I already have... Another thing to note, since the issue arouse the seatbelt chime no longer works, though it hasn't worked for a while.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:17 PM

Problem Fixed, $141.00 later. Fortunately there was nothing wrong with the car. Something must have occured during the drive that morning which I don't understand because for all of these errors to suddenly show when there is nothing wrong is a bit concerning. I need to find out why that happened suddenly. Perhaps like one said it could be the voltage regulator which the service advisor did mention.

I guess its a false alarm for now, but who knows what will happening soon. Mercedes are great cars, but the only downfall which many people agree with is their electronics, the poorest design.. They really need to work on fixing their electronics. Although my car is a 2002 (Built in June 2001) with 77K very low for an 9 year old car, haha.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 794 Likes on 597 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
The 01s and 02s were very bad years for the W203.. glad you got out of there so cheaply.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
[LEFT]Problem Fixed, $141.00 later. Fortunately there was nothing wrong with the car. Something must have occured during the drive that morning which I don't understand because for all of these errors to suddenly show when there is nothing wrong is a bit concerning...
Nothing was "fixed". All they did was make the error codes go away. Did they tell you what those codes were? Right now all you can assume is that it was a transient error. If you've ever had a computer hang it's the same thing.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
The 01s and 02s were very bad years for the W203.. glad you got out of there so cheaply.
I think I bought the least reliable Benz ever. Works great with everything repaired/updated though.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:10 PM

Severe Electrical Voltage Problem and SRS Issues

Problem returned. This time it was a little scary.

Once again while I was driving to school the car basically went crazy. The instrument cluster display was completely out of whack. The temperature was reading 165 degrees, wipers went on and off, SRS blinking on and off, radio turned off, radio controls were lost, all of the errors that happened a month ago reoccured again. And now my CD changer no longer works. My steering wheel radio controls no longer work niether. So I pull over to the shoulder and shut the car off and turn it on, the errors go away and now the SRS issue returns along with a intermittent loss of controls for the steering wheel audio functionality.

Intermittent because the sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Something triggers the problem to occur. When the steering wheel controls do not work, It appears as AUDIO with dashes. TEL also appears with dashes meaning that the cluster simply doesn't detect the car radio and audio system.

There is something that is seriously wrong with the car and I don't know what it could be. My guess is that it is the alternator voltage regulator. I'm gonna take it to Auto Zone tonight to see if I can run a series of checks to see what is going on. I also scheduled to bring it to the dealer once again to see if they could clear the code once again.

I read somewhere that I could check the voltages of the car by pressing a series of buttons on the instrument cluster display anyone know the tecnique of doing that? Also is it a simple DIY fix? Thanks.

Last edited by Vlad-II; 05-05-2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 c240

Once again while I was driving to school the car basically went crazy. The instrument cluster display was completely out of whack. The temperature was reading 165 degrees, wipers went on and off, SRS blinking on and off, radio turned off, radio controls were lost, all of the errors that happened a month ago reoccured again. And now my CD changer no longer works. My steering wheel radio controls no longer work niether. So I pull over to the shoulder and shut the car off and turn it on, the errors go away and now the SRS issue returns along with a intermittent loss of controls for the steering wheel audio functionality.

Intermittent because the sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Something triggers the problem to occur. When the steering wheel controls do not work, It appears as AUDIO with dashes. TEL also appears with dashes meaning that the cluster simply doesn't detect the car radio and audio system.

There is something that is seriously wrong with the car and I don't know what it could be. My guess is that it is the alternator voltage regulator. I'm gonna take it to Auto Zone tonight to see if I can run a series of checks to see what is going on. I also scheduled to bring it to the dealer once again to see if they could clear the code once again.

I read somewhere that I could check the voltages of the car by pressing a series of buttons on the instrument cluster display anyone know the tecnique of doing that? Also is it a simple DIY fix? Thanks.
Vlad-II, What was the problem found with your SRS malfunction and how was it fixed. I want to find out since I have the same exact problem with my W203 with SRS Malfunction.

Thank you!!
Old 12-16-2013, 01:02 PM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
13's550/2000's430/13'gl63/'13's550/10's63
srs malfunction could be the sensor in the passenger seat of the seat belt buckle try using some maf cleaner and spray the seat belt latch, passenger side!
Old 12-16-2013, 04:14 PM

2004 c240

Originally Posted by EPineda
Vlad-II, What was the problem found with your SRS malfunction and how was it fixed. I want to find out since I have the same exact problem with my W203 with SRS Malfunction.

Thank you!!
Thank you, Corkshoppe. I'll give it a try, use MAF spray cleaner on both seatbelt latches and have the SRS (malfunction) red light reset by an Indie. Hopefully this would work. This makes sense as couple of faults/errors found were B1030 and B1032 related to Heated (Left and Right) Seats Faulty components.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:45 PM

2001 c320
Does anyone know how to read codes off my c320 I can scan it and give the codes?
Old 06-20-2014, 11:20 AM

Mercedes C240 2003
Same Problem!

Originally Posted by EPineda
Thank you, Corkshoppe. I'll give it a try, use MAF spray cleaner on both seatbelt latches and have the SRS (malfunction) red light reset by an Indie. Hopefully this would work. This makes sense as couple of faults/errors found were B1030 and B1032 related to Heated (Left and Right) Seats Faulty components.

What as been the result of it?

I living the exact same experience with the wiper On/off, SRS problem, Radio problem,

The whole system seems like its going nuts!

How did you guys fix it?

Thanks
Luke.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:02 PM

2002 & 2005 Mercedes C240
Originally Posted by ti_cluck
What as been the result of it?

I living the exact same experience with the wiper On/off, SRS problem, Radio problem,

The whole system seems like its going nuts!

How did you guys fix it?

Thanks
Luke.
Look at this Youtube and see if these are the errors you are experiencing.

When I had these issues the car would still drive just fine with no loss in performance.

The problem was corrected when I replaced my radio(found a cheap one on ebay).

Hope this helps ...

Nuvision

Last edited by nuvision; 06-20-2014 at 09:07 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:00 PM

2004 clk320 coupe blk
I also have the problem 2004 clk320

Total dash and lighting malfunction.. seems as tho the whole car except for the running motor part was affected and i noticed the temp go up and down and the dash lights dim and brighten..
Also it starred the first day my car say rain in a very long time. Please he'll I don't want to go pay to have the srs light reset only to have it recurring again.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:12 AM

01c320
Vlad II what was your problem, i'm having the a similar problem
Old 01-10-2017, 02:19 PM

2001 C240
SRS Reset, Code Re-Appeared 24 Hrs later

Hi Guys,
I have a 2001 C240 with the SRS issue. I had the code reset at my local shop, they didn't find any specific code; however, they did say it appeared to be related to the SAM. My battery is about 1 year old and my alternator is about 2 years old, i cant for the life of me afford to keep getting this reset. Any other suggestions? Oh by the way, i just purchased an iCarfti1980 and im waiting on it to deliver. Please provide any insight, i cant stand Warning lights...
Old 01-11-2017, 12:44 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
2016 C450
Originally Posted by kokomo4
Hi Guys,
I have a 2001 C240 with the SRS issue. I had the code reset at my local shop, they didn't find any specific code; however, they did say it appeared to be related to the SAM. My battery is about 1 year old and my alternator is about 2 years old, i cant for the life of me afford to keep getting this reset. Any other suggestions? Oh by the way, i just purchased an iCarfti1980 and im waiting on it to deliver. Please provide any insight, i cant stand Warning lights...

Next time instead of paying someone to erase faults, pay the dealership an hour diagnosis to tell you what it needs. It could be many things.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:56 PM

2001 C240
Originally Posted by Holmes5518
Next time instead of paying someone to erase faults, pay the dealership an hour diagnosis to tell you what it needs. It could be many things.
no fault code were found - I did see something related to CAN.