C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

'02 C230 Kompressor Steering Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'02 C230 Kompressor
'02 C230 Kompressor Steering Issue

Long story short, I bought THIS car: https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...k-problem.html

The car has the same issue that it had in the above post. It feels like there is no power steering WHATSOEVER. The steering rack is new, and the pump was replaced twice. Proper fluid was used (MB Pentosin). I'm literally lost with this thing and have no idea what else could be wrong. I've already looked up the VIN online and this particular car didn't come with speed sensitive steering. The previous owner had also already replaced the pump once and it did nothing. They replaced the rack and claim that the car was normal for about two weeks, then crapped out again. Is there anything else involved in the PS system on these cars that could affect the steering so drastically? Even when the car is raised off the ground and running the steering is still hard. But, it feels like it's "catching" on something. It becomes lighter/harder/lighter/harder as you turn (this is with the wheels off the ground). Does anyone have any advice? It would be much appreciated; thank you.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
when in the air how hard is it to move the wheel by pushing/pulling on them? Also check steering column could have issue at a joint either inside cabin or outside. Have all the tie rods been checked as well as hub and control arms. I would take off tie rod ends and see how easy the wheels move.
I can't remember but the car had like 100,000 miles right?
Old 04-22-2014, 10:08 PM

'02 C230 Kompressor
I changed the steering rack and steering pump once again. Ran new fluid through it (Pentosin). This time I got a used rack and pump, and now the steering is soft like it's supposed to be but it feels like when you turn just a little bit to either side it's kind of like the car is fighting you back itself (just a tiny bit.) It feels like it's trying to straighten the wheels by itself. Tie rod ends are great, hubs, steering column, etc. Steering is as soft as it's supposed to be. Could it be a faulty pump? Could it be a restriction in the lines? Or could it be air pockets that will eventually go away? I already attempted bleeding the air out of the PS with no avail. When the car is in the air, the steering is perfect. You can't feel that "jerk" like when you're driving. Thanks in advance for any replies!
Old 04-22-2014, 10:10 PM

'02 C230 Kompressor
Yes, car's at 105,xxx right now.