C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Halogen w/HID v. OEM Bi-Xenon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 04:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 M272
Halogen w/HID v. OEM Bi-Xenon

I had factory halogen lights on my car but grew tired of the bland look. I decided to get a morimoto HID kit. At first I liked it but eventually I really wanted to have the projector setup. I wanted to get depo but I read numerous reviews regarding the poor quality of their projectors and flawed shroud design which in turn creates a poor distribution of light.

Furthermore, I have seen some nice retrofits with depos with E55 Hella projectors or s2k, but my craftsmanship level is novice-intermediate at best. That seems like a professional level project and I did not want to find out whether or not I was cut out for it (no pun intended). I then began to get OCD with my HID setup, noticing every single imperfection with the light distribution until I cracked and decided I was going to get OEM xenon lights.

So far a few months I managed to fill up 3 pages of ebay xenon postings on my watch list. I eventually came up on some incredible deals and after some back and forth negotiations I ended up paying 140 shipped for driver side with bulb no ballast. I paid 250 shipped complete for passenger side. No broken or repaired tabs, not water leaks or rust. Minor scuffs but with a restoration job will look good as new. I traded my halogen set for an OEM ballast and finally, I installed the lights with a friend at his shop. (He did 99.3% of the work)

I also ended up buying a pair of morimoto 9006 6000k lights and put that setup in the fogs. utilizing my morimoto ballast. Thank God I kept the error cancelers because the car was already running on Xenon = Present so I wasn't using them.

For Christmas I just might get myself some projector fog lights to complete the look so to speak.

Anyways here are some before and after picks of my setup...
Attached Thumbnails Halogen w/HID v. OEM Bi-Xenon-imag1529.jpg   Halogen w/HID v. OEM Bi-Xenon-imag1555.jpg   Halogen w/HID v. OEM Bi-Xenon-imag1564.jpg   Halogen w/HID v. OEM Bi-Xenon-imag1568.jpg  
Old 10-24-2014, 03:36 PM

2007 M272
End product...
Attached Thumbnails Halogen w/HID v. OEM Bi-Xenon-imag1567.jpg  
Old 10-24-2014, 04:08 PM

2001 C320 w/ Sprt Pkg
It looks nice! But how did you get the fogs running? Was it a plug and play HID system? I remember reading the car thinks the lights are burned out and throws a warning.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:11 PM

2007 M272
Originally Posted by neurodave
It looks nice! But how did you get the fogs running? Was it a plug and play HID system? I remember reading the car thinks the lights are burned out and throws a warning.
That is true, however the morimoto HID kit comes with error cancelers. So when you use a 35w bulb the system corrects the discrepancy and voila, let there be light!
Old 10-24-2014, 07:20 PM

2001 C320 w/ Sprt Pkg
Originally Posted by VickTorious85
That is true, however the morimoto HID kit comes with error cancelers. So when you use a 35w bulb the system corrects the discrepancy and voila, let there be light!
That's awesome. I wonder if I can get a pair in my fog lights, and maybe my headlights. Do you recall where you bought them from? I see a few 5K units (the pure white I prefer) but not sure which is right for either fogs or headlights.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:30 PM

2007 M272
I purchased it from www.theretrofitsource.com The slim ballast tucks into the headlight housing so there is no drilling required. I strongly suggest that you not use the error cancelers in your headlight setup and go with the Xenon = Present because my SAM would not consistently work with the cancelers. There was like a 50/50 chance that my passenger side would not light up although the bulb was not burnt out. The EIS coding fixed that problem forever.

The kit is a bit pricey ($150) but it is of high quality. Trust me I know because I have used other subpar kits prior to buying morimoto. Furthermore, morimoto offers 6k 5k and 4300k, check em out. They also offer 2 year warranty on the bulbs. As far as the fogs, they need the cancelers for the 35w 9006 bulbs. I
Old 10-25-2014, 04:13 PM

2001 C320 w/ Sprt Pkg
Originally Posted by VickTorious85
I purchased it from www.theretrofitsource.com The slim ballast tucks into the headlight housing so there is no drilling required. I strongly suggest that you not use the error cancelers in your headlight setup and go with the Xenon = Present because my SAM would not consistently work with the cancelers. There was like a 50/50 chance that my passenger side would not light up although the bulb was not burnt out. The EIS coding fixed that problem forever.

The kit is a bit pricey ($150) but it is of high quality. Trust me I know because I have used other subpar kits prior to buying morimoto. Furthermore, morimoto offers 6k 5k and 4300k, check em out. They also offer 2 year warranty on the bulbs. As far as the fogs, they need the cancelers for the 35w 9006 bulbs. I
Thanks for the info! I went on their site but they didn't specify if they avoided issues or not, so I shot them an email just to make sure. I've been on the edge when it comes to getting HID's so I hope these look good.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:36 PM

2007 M272
Originally Posted by neurodave
Thanks for the info! I went on their site but they didn't specify if they avoided issues or not, so I shot them an email just to make sure. I've been on the edge when it comes to getting HID's so I hope these look good.
UPDATE: My morimoto setup in my fog lights are not working consistently. It only lights up the driver side and not the passenger side. Sooooo annoying.

Basically when you have the morimoto HID H7 setup in your headlights and don't use the error cancelers with Xenon = Present in EIS, the kit works flawlessly! However, for some reason the morimoto cancelers do not read the passenger side consistently and just throws and error sign. SAM does not want to play nice

I know a Mercedes mechanic who uses MTEC and says he has never, ever had any errors or any one of his customers get an error after an mtec install. I think I will get mtec for my fogs and I will be willing to sell you my morimoto kit with H7 bulbs for waaayyyy cheaper than the $150. Let me know.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:42 PM

2007 M272
6000k morimoto bulb
Attached Thumbnails Halogen w/HID v. OEM Bi-Xenon-imag1557.jpg   Halogen w/HID v. OEM Bi-Xenon-imag1558.jpg