C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

02 transmission tried to kill me.. What happened?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 C230k Sport Coupé
02 transmission tried to kill me.. What happened?

So I got in my 02 c230 k coupe this morning, just got it two days ago. About 5 minutes into city driving i bumped it into neutral and as with every car I've ever owned, shifted back to drive while rolling(not revving or anything). The transmission bogged down nearly to a stop but it caught the gear fine, however once I let off the gas it irraticly downshifted to the point that the rear locked up and I slid a bit. Drove home very carefully experiencing same issue,even after resetting trans with the ignition/accelerator pedal. Mechanic isn't in till Monday, any ideas?
Old 01-30-2016, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 Mercedes E550
First of all, don't ever do that again :-)
The MB transmission computer is delicate.
I feel your electronically controlled transmission could have gotten confused.

Have you reset the ecu by disconnecting the battery for five minutes?
Is there a check engine light?
Did you plug in an OBD2 reader to get the codes?
Make sure to do that before you go to mechanic.
Literally could save you thousands..

Also causes wear on internal parts (I think).
Just let your car shift with automatic transmission.

You should also consider getting a full flush and filter changes of the transmission oil.
If you are a DIYer, this is very easy.

The transmission is the Achilles heel on our cars.
Take care of it :-)
Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by LexBrett2; 01-30-2016 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-30-2016, 03:37 PM

02 C230k Sport Coupé
Originally Posted by LexBrett2
Have you reset the ecu by disconnecting the battery for five minutes?
Is there a check engine light?
Did you plug in an OBD2 reader to get the codes?
Make sure to do that before you go to mechanic.
Literally could save you thousands..

Also causes wear on internal parts (I think).
Just let your car shift with automatic transmission
I'll try resetting the Ecu. My mechanic (Mercedes Indy) will diagnose for free and we are good friends.
Also as I said I bumped it into neutral. I shall certainly be more careful, though I had no intention of shifting in the first place.
Thanks for the reply, I'll post back whatever findings I have.

Edit: I was just reading a sticky on how the battery disconnection can throw a fault code. Should I do it anyway?
Old 01-30-2016, 03:51 PM

02 C230k Sport Coupé
Just got in to see if it was still doing it. Now the car is acting really strange. When I shift to reverse, it acts parked. Then to neutral, and it drives forward! Reset trans again, no difference.
Old 01-30-2016, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
Originally Posted by Hypnotismo
Just got in to see if it was still doing it. Now the car is acting really strange. When I shift to reverse, it acts parked. Then to neutral, and it drives forward! Reset trans again, no difference.
Did you disconnect the negative black terminal for at least five minutes? Wow I'm sorry that sounds very frustrating.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:31 PM

02 C230k Sport Coupé
Did you disconnect the negative black terminal for at least five minutes? Wow I'm sorry that sounds very frustrating.
You are a saint. It worked! So happy! Hope it stays working now. Will get an early service on it
Old 01-30-2016, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
Originally Posted by Hypnotismo
You are a saint. It worked! So happy! Hope it stays working now. Will get an early service on it
You must feel great you figured it out! Can you even imagine how many lies you would have heard at the dealership not to mention the $$$.

Just drive her in auto and see what happens. If you start getting hard shifts please let me know and feel free to PM.

I get hard shifts from 2nd to 1rst when the car is COLD. Have heard this is common, but it would be nice to figure out the puzzle.

Actually I didn't mention something before because didn't want to alarm you. Had a jaguar a few years ago, and I played around with the electrically controlled transmission by shifting manually- and very soon after the tranny suffered catastrophic failure.. It's not good to mess around with on older cars I believe
Old 02-03-2016, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
You must feel great you figured it out! Can you even imagine how many lies you would have heard at the dealership not to mention the $$$.

Just drive her in auto and see what happens. If you start getting hard shifts please let me know and feel free to PM.

I get hard shifts from 2nd to 1rst when the car is COLD. Have heard this is common, but it would be nice to figure out the puzzle.

Actually I didn't mention something before because didn't want to alarm you. Had a jaguar a few years ago, and I played around with the electrically controlled transmission by shifting manually- and very soon after the tranny suffered catastrophic failure.. It's not good to mess around with on older cars I believe
Any update??
Old 02-04-2016, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
I can tell you what likely happened is that you knocked it back to first gear which is a very low ratio & can lock the rear wheels because you were not rev matched. Do not coast these cars out of drive. Bad practice & dangerous & does not save fuel. The injectors are fully closed at Zero throttle when coasting anyway.