C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

I'm stumped, sluggish acceleration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 c230 kompressor coupe, 2005 c230 kompressor
I'm stumped, sluggish acceleration

2005 c230k 112,000 miles m271
So I took my car to an indy for an engine light that had been on for a while. The problem was a vacuum leak in the pcv hose? And I got leaky cam magnets replaced.
Car ran a little better for about 10 days but cel kept coming back on and off, tech checked everything again said nothing is broke could be carbon build up.
Now about a week later the engine light seems like it's on for good and acceleration is super sluggish,if I were to mash the pedal it will misfire like it always does even after vacuum leak fix, any ideas? and my magnets are still leaking oil >
Any help is greatly appreciated me and the mechanic are stumped
Old 04-22-2016, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 Mercedes E550
Originally Posted by C_steapsC230
2005 c230k 112,000 miles m271
So I took my car to an indy for an engine light that had been on for a while. The problem was a vacuum leak in the pcv hose? And I got leaky cam magnets replaced.
Car ran a little better for about 10 days but cel kept coming back on and off, tech checked everything again said nothing is broke could be carbon build up.
Now about a week later the engine light seems like it's on for good and acceleration is super sluggish,if I were to mash the pedal it will misfire like it always does even after vacuum leak fix, any ideas? and my magnets are still leaking oil >
Any help is greatly appreciated me and the mechanic are stumped
First things first. What are you cel obd2 codes?
Old 04-22-2016, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by LexBrett2
First things first. What are you cel obd2 codes?
P0302-the misfire from that I already know about in cylinder that tech says there's nothing wrong with it says it could be carbon build up
P0128-thermostat, running below temp. This one is a new problem would this make my car feel more sluggish??
Old 04-22-2016, 09:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Kompressor w203 c200
If its really sluggish acceleration its most likely that "$12 hose" issue that always tears . I had the same problem as my car would feel like its running on barely any boost during the day but would perform slightly better on cooler nights. It turned out it was because of a torn pcv hose
Old 04-22-2016, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 Mercedes E550
Originally Posted by Bearded
If its really sluggish acceleration its most likely that "$12 hose" issue that always tears . I had the same problem as my car would feel like its running on barely any boost during the day but would perform slightly better on cooler nights. It turned out it was because of a torn pcv hose
Wouldn't the torn hose cause a lean condition? And a P0171 code? This could also manifest of a high long term fuel trim?

In terms of the misfire code, looks like it is for the second cylinder. Since you can pinpoint the location, my first thought would be to closely inspect the spark plug and coil? Does the plug have the correct gap?

For carbon, you can run seafoam through brake booster line. Let me know if you need help. You should also try putting seafoam in gas tank.

For your thermostat, has it been replaced recently? Or does it need to be changed? What is your coolant level?

Lastly you might try resetting the Ecu by disconnecting black negative battery for five minutes. Often does miracles with your car and confused Ecu..

I'd not trust any mechanic and check these your yourself
Old 04-23-2016, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by LexBrett2
Wouldn't the torn hose cause a lean condition? And a P0171 code? This could also manifest of a high long term fuel trim?

In terms of the misfire code, looks like it is for the second cylinder. Since you can pinpoint the location, my first thought would be to closely inspect the spark plug and coil? Does the plug have the correct gap?

For carbon, you can run seafoam through brake booster line. Let me know if you need help. You should also try putting seafoam in gas tank.

For your thermostat, has it been replaced recently? Or does it need to be changed? What is your coolant level?

Lastly you might try resetting the Ecu by disconnecting black negative battery for five minutes. Often does miracles with your car and confused Ecu..

I'd not trust any mechanic and check these your yourself
Elaborate on the brake booster line this is the first I've heard of that, and I thought techron was the only way to go? Seafoam I know is good but I thought our cars didn't like it. And I said I went to an independent tech who ive heard good about in Chicago area, I'd love to check this stuff out but I'm working 70 hours a week right now :/ I really really appreciate the feed back

Last edited by C_steapsC230; 04-23-2016 at 01:09 AM.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:01 AM

2005 C230
Talking

The sluggishness might be attributed to the code that states that you are running cold on the thermostat. It might have failed in the open state, this will make the engine run cold and appear to you like the engine is restrained. Replace the thermostat and then take it for a run, you would be surprised what a difference it makes.