C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Starting problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2021, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C180k
Starting problem

I have a c180k w203 auto that has a problem starting.

I have read a lot of posts and tried various things but cant find the problem.
Over a period of a couple of weeks (I rarely use this car) it would occasionally fire then cut out when I tried to start it, but it would always start normally subsequently so I didn't really notice.
But now it wont crank 99% of the time. Then when it does crank it starts normally. The first time I try to start it after it has been running it will crank, start run for a second then die, then it will not crank again.
I have tried jumping it to check the battery and that makes no difference.
I have put a jumper in place of the starter relay and it cranks to rule out the starter or solenoid.
I have pulled the dash and fuse panel under the bonnet apart looking for a loose connection or short but cannot find anything suspect and cannot get it to consistently crank after jiggling a certain section of wires or connections.
I have borrowed a diagnostic machine cleared previous codes and get the code:
202B - 8 CAN message from control module 'electronic ignition switch (eis/ezs)' ,CAN signal interruption drive authorization
when it has failed to start but it dissapears on the odd occasions when it does start, it apears again on the first attempt after it has started when it cranks, fires and starts, and I get the same message even when it won't crank.

The car came with one key and I had a new key made about a year ago and neither key makes a difference.

Sorry about the long winded first post but it is really doing my head in, I haven't got a lot of spare time so have been not using this car and trying to problem solve it for a few weeks but I am not getting anywhere.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Tom