C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Check engine light keep on coming back~

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 02:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 C230 Sedan 6spd
Check engine light keep on coming back~

Ths happend to me three times already, I have never experienced anything like this with my previous cars. (92 Sentra, and 2k2 Maxima)

I got my first check engine light 2 months after I got my car, so I took it in to the dealer and they said maybe I didn't close my gas cap tightly, so when the gas tank try to get pressurized when I start the engine, air will leak in and it won't be able to pressurize like it should. Anyway, they fixed it under warrenty so everything is cool~ So I just thought ok, maybe I didn't close the gas cap tight enough......so I always double check to make sure the gas cap is tight.

One month later, check engine light again!......I took it in to the dealer....they found to be the same problem. They erase the check engine light again.....said they pressure check the tank and there was no leak in the gas tank.....so maybe I didn't close the gas cap tight enough.......OK so I though to myself.......I'm going to make sure this never happens again...... so now everytime I reach for the gas cap after filling up gas.........I'm now using my MUSCLE......and I am talking about putting EFFORT into tightening my gas cap. (Push cap all the way in, and turn 15 degrees to hear the click)

So another month passes by........so just two or three days ago......Check engine light comes on AGAIN?? I am tired of going back to the dealer over and over for the same problem........I hope they find something to fix this time....

The car drives fine and all......but with this keeps on coming back its really annoying.

The only thing I can think of that I might have cause the problem is sometimes I close the gas cap with the cap unside down.....could that be a potential problem??
Old 12-12-2004, 04:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c240
lemon law it. it could also be a bad sensor or there really is a leak somewhere in your gas tank. take it back and be firm and demanding with them to fix it and if it happens a gain lemon law it.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:34 AM

'01 ML430, '03 C320 Coupe MT, '14 GL450
Originally Posted by elchinocache
lemon law it. it could also be a bad sensor or there really is a leak somewhere in your gas tank. take it back and be firm and demanding with them to fix it and if it happens a gain lemon law it.
Jeez - you people with the freakin' lemon law - how about claiming lemon law because your wheels get dirty after two days driving Lemon law cases generally apply to safety issues, which this is clearly not.

For the original poster - obviously your dealer is not able to diagnose and fix the problem properly. I would suggest trying another dealer if it is practical for you. Otherwise, try to speak to the workshop manager and have them explain to you in detail what error codes they found, and what their system says should be done about it. This is not to try to "help" fix the problem - this is to give you an idea if they know what they're talking about, and if they are doing anything about it. You can also take your car to one of the auto parts stores - they can help you at least read the codes (without resetting them), and then you can search the net for the code, to see what comes up.

In the end, your dealer is responsible to fix this, and I would definitely take it up with them. You can also try calling MBUSA.

Good luck!
Old 12-12-2004, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
Maybe your gas cap is defective?
Old 12-12-2004, 11:57 AM

2005 C230 Sedan 6spd
Originally Posted by Jim Banville
Maybe your gas cap is defective?

Thats what I thought, but I'm not MB certified mechanic.....so I'm going to "suggest" them to replace the fuel cap (Which is not very expansive)
Old 12-12-2004, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since it's going in for it's fourth time I would setup a meeting with the service manager and the MB rep as it's approaching not only lemon law territory but also violates the federal clean air act and MB should be fined for non-compliance if they can't fix it. After that you should file a complaint with the EPA. I have little tollerance for dealers that reset check engine lights without troubleshooting the problem.
Old 12-12-2004, 10:11 PM

c240
this is a safety issue. if there is a leak and gas fumes are lingering in the air its possible that the car can blow up if a smoker passes by or a smoker lights up next to it or it can ignite some other way. remember murphy's law? the chances that this will happen are remote but its still possible
Old 12-13-2004, 01:01 AM

2005 C230 Sedan 6spd
I made a appointment for tomorrow afternoon with the local MB dealer.......I'll let you guys know what happens.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:24 AM

2003 C230 K , 2001 ML320
I had the check engine light on several times in the first couple of minths I had my car.

They replaced the fuel pump, it was drawing too many amps.

The dealer should have done a test drive doing this? Every MB dealer I know gives you a paper stating exactly what they have done. Have they done this test?

They also replaced one spark plug after a check engine light, never had a problem on the check engine light since.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:27 PM

2003 C230 Kompressor Sedan
Originally Posted by breastroker
I had the check engine light on several times in the first couple of minths I had my car.

They replaced the fuel pump, it was drawing too many amps.

The dealer should have done a test drive doing this? Every MB dealer I know gives you a paper stating exactly what they have done. Have they done this test?

They also replaced one spark plug after a check engine light, never had a problem on the check engine light since.
On mine, there was a sensor for one of the injectors.

Lemon Law, that is too funny. Do these people that scream Lemon Law even know how that process works, and how few cases get past arbitration to the point of resolving via Lemon Law. The other gotcha most don't realize on the lemon laws is you are responsible for per mileage charge for whatever miles are on the car, plus wear and tear.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveS
Do these people that scream Lemon Law even know how that process works, and how few cases get past arbitration to the point of resolving via Lemon Law.
Don't know the exact numbers but I'm 2 for 2 with MB and Infiniti. The problem is people go to arbitration unprepared. You have to drown them in documentation. Also, keep in mind that MB doesn't allow for arbitration, you must have an attorny and file a lawsuit in superior court that can take a while. The huge advantage if you win is they go by the mileage on the car at the time of the first complaint, even if you put 100K miles until it gets resolved. I got to drive my Infiniti for close to year for $800 for mileage as I got every payment I made plus a year's car registration, that's about $70/mo.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:25 PM

2005 C230 Sedan 6spd
OK, so I got my car back this afternoon. The problem on the receipt they print out for me was

EVAP LEAK; FUEL CAP WAS LOOSE.

The service manager and I walk to my car, he try to see if I was shutting the cap "correctly" As we were walking out he said "next time try to listen so the cap clicks atleast 4 times", and I said but the cap only turns 15degrees clockwise, and would only click one time.

He opened my gas cover, and took off the gas cap, and try to re tighten it......he insert the cap so the cap knob is horizontal, and turn it 15 degrees clockwise so until it clicks one time and now the knob is horizontal. He try to see if it would click couple more times......but it wouldn't move. (I want to say I TOLD YOU SO!! BUT YOU WOULDN'T LISTEN....but ofcourse I didn't say that..lol)

He then told me, maybe this is a new design for the 05 models (Thinking to myself: You are the MB service manager, you tell me )

Well anyway, he said if this happens again, he want me to leave the car with them for 1 day, and if needed he is going to get intouch with Benz Corporate and maybe they can get involved)...I was like....ok..then I left.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Did you try out the gas caps on the other '05's there?
Old 12-13-2004, 06:52 PM

c240
Originally Posted by BabyBenz6spd
He then told me, maybe this is a new design for the 05 models (Thinking to myself: You are the MB service manager, you tell me )

that proves he does not know what the hell he's talking about. i have an 2001 c240 and the gas cap only turns 15 degrees and then no more. you should do this to him
Old 12-13-2004, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 C320wz
gas cap on my car is about 15 degrees more than horizontal when locked.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Did you ask them to go ahead and replace the cap in order to eliminate a possible source of the problem?
Old 12-13-2004, 09:55 PM

2005 C230 Sedan 6spd
Did you ask them to go ahead and replace the cap in order to eliminate a possible source of the problem?

I "suggested" to him......I didn't really "demand" him to change it for me.....didn't want to make him feel stupid......since he was nice and all on helping me out and only took 30min to get me in and out of the dealer (Also I am a nice person) He didn't say anything, but by his reaction......the message is quite clear.....He didn't want to change the gas cap for me unless the gas cap has been identified as the problem source. You know how dealer works.....according to their rules
Old 12-13-2004, 10:03 PM

2005 C230 Sedan 6spd
Did you try out the gas caps on the other '05's there?
I didn't try any gas caps..........when you say "try" do you mean take the gas cap on their sale models and replace their with mine?? :v Even if I tried it wouldn't make a big differents.......because I don't know when the check engine light is going to pop out?
Old 12-13-2004, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It isn't rude to say, "Since I've been here 3 times for the same "gas cap related problem", can you please put a new gas cap on my car since that would definitely rule out the original cap as the cause of the problem?".
Old 12-14-2004, 02:03 AM

2005 C230 Sedan 6spd
It isn't rude to say, "Since I've been here 3 times for the same "gas cap related problem", can you please put a new gas cap on my car since that would definitely rule out the original cap as the cause of the problem?".

If it comes back again, I'm going to the dealer and open up a can of whoop ***~ :v