Go Back   MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > C-Class (W204)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

C-Class (W204) 2008-Present: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Welcome to MBWorld.org!
Welcome to MBWorld,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 04:32 PM   #1

Drives: 2008 Mercedes Benz C300 Sport | 2005 Yamaha R6
What does A3 service entail

Hey guys,

I recently purchased an 08 C300 4Matic sport, and the A3 service is coming up within the next 15 days. I have done a little bit of research, and it seems that the B service's entail the major maintenance. But i am not seeing much on what exactly the A3 service includes. Have any of your recently had this service performed and recall what was completed, or what i should be expecting?

Thanks,
Ben
To remove this ad, register today or login if you already are registered!

killians31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:10 PM   #2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Drives: 2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
@Tank_67
Technically is just an oil change.
Black Out window & trunk molding/ by JS Design Factory
Black Out side marker lamps
Black Out Grill
Tint tail lights "cherry red"
C63 OEM wheels on Pzero tires
35% window tint
H&R Spring
Euroteck CF front lip
DDM 6000K HID kit
Custom quad exhaust by Royal Mufflers

http://www.mbworld.org/forums/c-clas...quad-tips.html
tanktube67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:44 PM   #3

Drives: 08 c350
i called my SA and he quoted me 340 for the A3 serv. he also said it was a minor service. so i searched and it seems like it's only a oil change so I ordered the mityvac, oil filter, oil filter cap for the wrench, and bought oil at walmart and just did myself an oil change. came out way less than 320. Oil change on the mercedes has got to be one of the easiest jobs I've done. I've decided I'll just do the minor services and take my car to the dealership for the major ones.
jaeguyoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:41 PM   #4
MBWorld Fanatic!

Drives: 2012 C250 Coupe
jctevere
I've done the same thing. I also found out that the dealer from my first oil change overfilled my resevoir big time. 4 Matic only take 7.4 qt, I sucked out near 8.5 qts. I didn't need a oil filter cap wrench, I just did it by hand, took a bit of grunt work though. Did you buy the 0w-40 Mobil 1 oil? Also, I hope you used a fleece filter.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:54 PM   #5

Drives: 08 c350
Quote:
Originally Posted by jctevere View Post
I've done the same thing. I also found out that the dealer from my first oil change overfilled my resevoir big time. 4 Matic only take 7.4 qt, I sucked out near 8.5 qts. I didn't need a oil filter cap wrench, I just did it by hand, took a bit of grunt work though. Did you buy the 0w-40 Mobil 1 oil? Also, I hope you used a fleece filter.
yes I did use 0W40 mobil 1. I also ordered the Mann fleece filter from amazon. It looks just like the stock one and comes iwth the rubber rings. I tried removing the oil filter with hand I could not get it to open up. But weird thing with me is on my c350, I only sucked out a little bit more than 7 qts. I think I'm starting to distrust dealerships more and more with even basic services. I always knew they were a ripoff, but I thought since mercedes is a luxury brand that they would at least do a good job after charging so much. I'm going to have to rely more on myself from now.
jaeguyoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:08 AM   #6

Drives: 2008 Mercedes Benz C300 Sport | 2005 Yamaha R6
Thanks for the fast responses! The dealer i bought the car from told me that the oil was recently changed on the vehicle, and advised me to perform oil changes every 5k miles. It looks like i can bypass this service, as i still have a few thousand before i hit that 5k mark.

Thanks,
Ben
killians31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:05 PM   #7

Drives: C350 Elegance
Quote:
Originally Posted by killians31 View Post
Thanks for the fast responses! The dealer i bought the car from told me that the oil was recently changed on the vehicle, and advised me to perform oil changes every 5k miles. It looks like i can bypass this service, as i still have a few thousand before i hit that 5k mark.

Thanks,
Ben
The 5,000 mile oil and filter service recommendation seems to point to cheap oil and/or paper filter being used. If so, loose that dealer.

A3 service also depends on whether it's being done by mileage, or by time. It may so entail a brake fluid replacement, or tranny fluid flush, etc. The best thing is to sit down with the service history and the maintenance schedule, and figure out what it will entail above and beyond the A routine.

Cheers, JV
JoeVal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:39 PM   #8

Drives: 2008 C350 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by killians31 View Post

Thanks,
Ben
Go to MBUSA and locate the service manual for your new ride if you don't have the one that came with the car http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/servic...enance_manuals. If using Mobil 1 full synthetic oil and a fleece filter you can go 13K miles between oil changes/service. If your dealer says every 5K and they are using Mobil 1/fleec filter then they are just trying to take your $$$.
MBnewby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:39 PM   #9

Drives: 2008 W204
So is Mobil 1 synthetic 0w40 the best year round oil to use?
LandSeaAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:55 PM   #10

Drives: '13 BMW xDrive 35i
Since I can find no decent explanation about A/B service (i.e. not in my Owner's Manual), I go by what service MB says is required based on mileage in the guide.
noka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:10 PM   #11

Drives: 2008 W204
Quote:
Originally Posted by jctevere View Post
Are you sure it doesn't take 8.5 quarts? Thats what its listed under in the auto parts store. I put in 8 quarts today and have a perfect measure on my dipstick.
LandSeaAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:39 AM   #12

Drives: 2008 Mercedes C300 sport, 1998 SL 600 sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBnewby View Post
If using Mobil 1 full synthetic oil and a fleece filter you can go 13K miles between oil changes/service.
Is this still the case? I know my 08 they call for 13K miles, but I heard that they back tracked on this on later models and it's now more like 10K. is that true?
RP
RickP330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:15 PM   #13

Drives: c300 4matic
service a3 message

How does the message on the dash get reset?
screech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:15 PM

Tags
10, 2011, 300, a3, ben, benz, c300, check, entail, maintenance, mercedes, oil, schedule, service, servise