C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI
Old 06-15-2015, 02:47 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Diagnostics
Print Wikipost

2008 C300 won't start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 c350
Originally Posted by dbarnold
Sounds like the problem that I am having. The electronic steering column is faulty and this is a common issue. Mercedes uses a cheaper part (not built to last) and therefore it is malfunctioning sooner than later which allows MB to extort exuberant amounts of $. ALso, it caused my horn and driver seat to stop working and (worked perfectly fine until the part malfunctioned)- now they want to charge me: $1,1100 for the elec steering column $550 for the horn and $250 for the seat! My warranty ran out a few months ago. good luck! I loved my MB, until NOW!!
Im pissed because I have my car at the dealer now and have a feeling that's going to be my problem to because we are dealing with the same problem with our 2008 c350
Old 02-08-2014, 09:44 AM

2008 c350
Originally Posted by emonicaw74
Im pissed because I have my car at the dealer now and have a feeling that's going to be my problem to because we are dealing with the same problem with our 2008 c350
and by the way want to charge us 1500 dollars for all this
Old 02-18-2014, 07:12 AM

C300
Has anyone tried to replace EIS OR ESL by themselves? If successful, please post some instructions. They might be helpful to diy-ers out there.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:34 AM

C300
Originally Posted by JBailey
I have a 2008 C300 with 77,000 miles. I drove the car home from work Friday parked it in my parking garage went out this morning and it wouldn't start. The key locks and unlocks the doors the lights come on and the dash lights up. You can insert and turn the key but the car will not start. The stering wheel is locked and the drive is locked in park. I tried jumping and it did nothing I dident think the battery was bad but went and had it checked anyways. The battery checked out ok. I check the fuses that are associated with the starter and they seem to be ok. I'm not sure what to do next and not excited about having it towed to the dealership. Any information would be helpfull.

Looks like I'm coming up on the same issue soon I'm at 68K miles. 08 c300 gonna trade in soon can't wait honestly. All these recalls and issues on these expensive *** cars
Old 02-18-2014, 07:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C220 CDI SLK 200
Originally Posted by frogpoop
Has anyone tried to replace EIS OR ESL by themselves? If successful, please post some instructions. They might be helpful to diy-ers out there.
basically it is pretty close to impossible. The EIS is the the centre of the cars security and a new EIS has to be programmed to the car. then of course your keys have to be programmed to the EIS.

http://www.replacementmercedeskeys.co.uk/online-shop/

If you are in the UK here is a website that claims to be able to repair broken EIS modules

http://www.sinspeed.co.uk/mercedes-e...epair-service/

Here is a website that gives a fairly detailed theory of operation of the EIS and claims to repair faulty modules

Last edited by Big Daddy; 02-18-2014 at 10:22 AM. Reason: included links
Old 02-21-2014, 03:37 PM

C200
Though I live in the US I purchased a 2008 C200 in Jamaica. With all taxes and duties it was a bit over $60,000 USD. I am disgusted that I went down the road to the drugstore, came back out and the car would not start. It has a fairly new battery so I'm was confident that was not the problem.

After the tow to the dealership we now know it's the steering lock and that my car is one of 5 sitting in Kingston with the problem.

If there is a Class Action suit I want in. If there is a recall I want to know. This is a known problem and shame in Benz for doing nothing.

Needless to say, I will go back to BMW after this. I tell you what, this wouldn't happen to a Ford or Toyota.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:21 AM
Banned

2008 C300 sport
Well ladies and gents... looks like I might be the newest member... 2008 C300 68k miles. Ran to store in and out, turn key heard a slight pop or ping behind the dash all was normal but no start... however my steering wheel is not locked! The only reason I joined to forum is since I read this I realized that's where I was different from the rest of you. So how has ideas now? I left my car sitting there, and after reading this I hope someone steals the darn thing cause I am livid! It appears I have had 2 common C300 issues. One the left front seat belt buckle sensor goes out causing air bag light to come on and off (just replaced seat belt myself and help from B/S for $140) and now something similar to this. I am sorry to hear this for everyone and I to want to know why there is again no recall!? If this prob happens to me you can bet I will be talking to an Atty.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:06 AM

2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
I am the latest casualty of the EIS failure on my 2008 C300 4M Sport with 60,000 miles and out of warranty. Car was fortunately parked at home. Had an urgent appointment. Turned the key and nothing. Only the data in the central dial was on, the courtesy lights and the radio. Tried 15 times with no luck. Had the car flatbedded to my indy shop and the dealer in Atlanta. No fault codes ever showed up. EIS failure was diagnosed by elimination. The car has been there for a week and it won't be ready until next week. Don't know the exact cost yet, but it's bound to be north of $1k and a big hassle with documents -- original signatures on work order, TRP, driver's license, registration, insurance.

Reading this and other threads, I can only conclude there must have been a bad batch of EIS in the 2008 C300. Mercedes should own up to this critical failure and recall all the C300s affected.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Did your EIS or your ESL fail?
Old 02-26-2014, 11:01 AM

My understanding is that the EIS failed, locking the steering wheel and of course not recognizing either of my keys. I won't know for sure what the dealer is doing until I get the repair bill.

Originally my mechanic had these comments:

SPORATIC RESULTS FROM TESTS, RESULTEDIN LOCATING FAULTS ON THE CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR, WHICH IS ACTUALLY A SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE SERVICE FOR REPLACEMENT.  

THE SECOND ISSUE WHICH FINALLY SHOWED UP AND CREATED A SECOND NO START SCENARIO, IS THE (IGNITION SWITCH & TUMBLER) WHICH DISABLES A COUPLE OF FUNCTIONS.    FOR SAFETY / SECURITY PURPOSES, WHEN THE IGNITION ASSEMBLY FAILS, IT DISABLES THE IGNITION TUMBER AS WELL, WHICH OBVIOUSLY DISABLES THE KEY RECOGNITION, THEREFORE WILL NOT START OR ALLOW GEARSHIFT FROM IT’S LOCKED POSITION IN PARK.  

BASED ON THE ABOVE, WE NEED TO REPLACE THE IGNITION SWITCH, TUMBLER AND CRANKSHAFT SENSOR. 

Then this:

WE DETERMINED THE FAULTS ON STARTING ARE THE RESULT OF THE STEERING LOCK ON THE (EIS) ELECTRONIC IGNITON SYSTEM, WHICH NEEDS TO BE ORDERED SPECIFICALLY FOR YOUR VEHICLE.

BECAUSE THE PART(S) ENABLES THE CAR TO BE STARTED, THEY ARE CONSIDERED (TRP) PARTS, AND ARE CLASSIFIED AS THEFT DETERRANT PARTS, AND REQUIRE ADDITIONAL PAPERWORK.

DOCUMENTS REQUIRED:

LEGIBLE COPY OF DRIVERS LICENSE OF PERSON’S NAME WHICH IS RECORDED ON THE TITLE AND REGISTRATION

COPY OF CURRENT REGISTRATION

COPY OF CURRENT INSURANCE COVERAGE.

YOUR ORIGINAL SIGNATURE ON AN xxxx REPAIR ORDER AND YOUR ORIGINAL SIGNATURE ON A (TRP) FORM, WHICH WE SUBMIT TO MB-USA , LOCATED IN DALLAS, TEXAS, TO GET THE PARTS SHIPPED TO LOCAL DEALER FOR INSTALLATION AND PROGRAMMING TO “MARY OR BRIDGE” THE PARTS TO YOUR IGNITION AND SPECIFIC VIN NUMBER, WHICH IS ENCODED ON ALL YOUR ON BOARD COMPUTERS.

LOT’S OF STEPS AT OUR END, PLUS WE HAVE TO SIGN AND VALIDATE OTHER DOCUMENTS TO AUTHENTICATE YOU ARE THE OWNER AND WE ARE REQUESTING THESE PARTS.

ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS STOP BY THE SHOP, BRING YOUR DRIVER’S LICENSE, AND REGISTRATION WITH INSURANCE CARD, AND WE’LL COPY AS NEEDED AND FORWARD TO DALLAS, TEXAS.

ONCE THE PAPERWORK ARRIVES IN DALLAS, THE PARTS ARE TURNED AROUND IN NO MORE THAN 48 HOURS, AND THEN WE CAN CORDINATE INSTALLATION AT THIS END, AND GET YOUR VEHICLE BACK TO YOU.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

The above is a little wooley.

What they need to do is replace the CPS & then retest.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...t-process.html

If after CPS replacement they still have an issue they must ascertain whether it is ESL or the EIS.

When you inserted your key was there recognition that released the lock & allowed you to turn the key?

It is a good idea to properly diagnose what is faulty or most dealers just replace both ESL & EIS costing you double what you need to pay. They should only replace what is required. They are generally too lazy.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:26 PM

Initially, when the car was in my driveway, the steering wheel didn't lock and the key could be turned all the way over and removed. Each time I inserted the key I heard the faintest sound from the steering column, which I now assume was the unlocking. But none of the idiot lights came on and the car wouldn't start after many tries. (I tried the key from another Mercedes and it read out "wrong key" or something like that.) After the car was towed to the indy shop, it started, and they hooked up the laptop and looked for fault codes. Next day, the cart wouldn't start and the steering wheel locked at the indy shop. They tried and tried with the key and the car finally started and they drove it directly to the car dealer. I heard indirectly that it was the EIS.

I had come across your very informative induction, handshake, and start diagrams and explanations, but it doesn't (can't) explain why the steering wheel would lock sometimes, but not every time, when the car won't start.

Very frustrating business and I am aware that the dealer will charge 2x what is necessary to fix it. RBM Atlanta is fully in the loop of leased cars and warranty repairs.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:23 PM
Banned

2008 C300 sport
I didnt take mine to dealership hoping a normal mechanic could fix. MB wont sell them the EIS which is what the mechanic diagnosed it to be. So today mine is headed to dealership. I am happy to say that MB is paying the tow bill so long as the car goes to the dealer. This I didnt know. I thought car had to be under warrenty. I plan to talk to an ATTY ASAP. I also put my call in to CS to see about assistance. Oh also dealership told me I had to have 2 working keys to diagnose the EIS.. I only have one. So now I have to pay $300 for a new key too?!?
Old 03-04-2014, 12:51 AM

2008 C300 4MATIC
Welp, I just purchased a 2008 C300 4Matic with 57K miles, what should I do to prevent this problem? I'm fairly certain it's going to happen after reading this whole thread.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:09 AM
Super Moderator

There is nothing you can do. Luck of the draw.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:15 AM

C220 CDI SLK 200
Originally Posted by ign92
Welp, I just purchased a 2008 C300 4Matic with 57K miles, what should I do to prevent this problem? I'm fairly certain it's going to happen after reading this whole thread.
If the EIS unit becomes faulty, the “Turn & Start” function will be de-activated and the module will be locked for security purposes. This will stop the vehicle from starting. It is very unfortunate but also a very common problem as there are many reasons as to why these units are failing – most are due to human error. Some of the most common reasons are listed below:
  • Jump Starting Whilst Key Is Inserted
  • Power Surge
  • Low Battery Voltage
  • This from the website that claims they can repair these modules fairly cheaply
Old 03-04-2014, 05:20 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Big Daddy
If the EIS unit becomes faulty, the “Turn & Start” function will be de-activated and the module will be locked for security purposes. This will stop the vehicle from starting. It is very unfortunate but also a very common problem as there are many reasons as to why these units are failing – most are due to human error. Some of the most common reasons are listed below:
  • Jump Starting Whilst Key Is Inserted
  • Power Surge
  • Low Battery Voltage
  • This from the website that claims they can repair these modules fairly cheaply
The majority of failures are actually the ESL. Dealers just endlessly replace the EIS as well.

Jump starting can't be performed without inserting the key so they are passing a bit of a dumb comment. I do accept that jump starting needs to be done with care on modern cars.

The EIS can certainly be repaired. ESL probably not economical.

Forums tend to concentrate problems but I do believe it is a bit of a weakness. There have been a number of updates.

The ones that I have seen fail have been on cars that have never been jump started.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 03-04-2014 at 07:17 AM.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:09 AM

2014 Mercedes C250 Coupe, 1998 SL 600 sport
My car was never jump started nor has the battery failed (low voltage). It is a random electronic failure. What can you do? These cars are not trivial to tow. Make sure you have a good towing package with your insurance or AAA. I had two carriers turn me down and put me back into the pool. They don't like towing our cars... especially when it's a locked out scenario (which it basically is).

RP
Old 03-04-2014, 08:46 AM
Banned

2008 C300 sport
I say get rid of the car ASAP. There is also a known problem w/ the left seat belt buckle. The buckle alone is over $100. Then to install and reset the airbag light. These issues and the fact that MB is not willing to do a recall has put a very bad taste in my mouth.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by vmccolley83
I say get rid of the car ASAP. There is also a known problem w/ the left seat belt buckle. The buckle alone is over $100. Then to install and reset the airbag light. These issues and the fact that MB is not willing to do a recall has put a very bad taste in my mouth.
I really don't want to start anything here, but you guys crack me up. Go ahead. Sell the car and get a mazda 3 then come back in a year and tell us how much you love $29.99 oil changes. sell the car over a seat belt buckle??? Really??
RP
Old 03-04-2014, 09:05 AM
Banned

2008 C300 sport
Well if you want a car that's going to leave you stranded and won't sell parts to any other quality mechanic then that's your biz. All of these cars have low miles and if MB is quality then why don't they act like it and do a recall. All I'm saying is I am not pleased with the way all of us are being treated for the quality we expected.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by vmccolley83
Well if you want a car that's going to leave you stranded and won't sell parts to any other quality mechanic then that's your biz. All of these cars have low miles and if MB is quality then why don't they act like it and do a recall. All I'm saying is I am not pleased with the way all of us are being treated for the quality we expected.
Mine failed at 105,000 miles.... You are right. That is low mileage for these cars....
Old 03-04-2014, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by ign92
All we have is the anecdotal data about EIS failures in the forum. There is no recall campaign yet on the EIS and there may never be. The programming of the keys to the EIS and the other computers in the car is the big cost and it can only be done by the dealer. This is purportedly for security reasons, but Mercedes are stolen every day and apparently reprogrammed without much problem, so it's hard to justify spending over $1k on a failed EIS based on the security rationale.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:32 AM

CLK55
w204 no start no key turn

Hey there. Some of the 204 no start conditions that I've seen have resulted in the SCM (steering control module) being unhappy and as a result it gives very similar conditions to what you're describing. The fix is the car being towed to the dealer and them putting it in due to the part being a TRP. (theft related parts)

I would give MB roadside a call first and make sure all is done to double check the jump start procedure and or make sure the battery is not the issue first. (800-4MERC) This use to be a free service to ALL MB owners but now from what I hear is dictated by a minimum $ amount spent with MBUSA.

Sorry for the bad news and I hope it is something easy. (check all related fuses? Double check year of battery production?) Good luck.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:55 PM

2008 C300 car won't start

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Did your EIS or your ESL fail?
Following up on the EIS/ESL problem. I retrieved the car from the dealer after nearly 2 weeks and examining the receipt it seems they replaced both the EIS and the ESL. While they were at it, they installed the retrofit wiring harness for the camshaft adjustment solenoid and engine wiring harness.

The total charge came to "only" $740 thanks to the intercession of Atlanta Autohaus and cooperation of Dennis of RBM, for which I am thankful.

Glyn and other MB techs out there, can you make sense of the codes and sequence that led to the replacement of both the EIS and ESL?

Lastly, to those who are thinking of ditching their 2008 C300 because of this repair, it seems the occurrence of the EIS/ESL failure is not inevitable or even common. I do think that MB should extend the warranty on these parts and repair because it is such a catastrophic failure that has nothing to do with the use or abuse of the vehicle.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
RBM repair ESL.pdf (81.8 KB, 417 views)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2008 C300 won't start