C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Lateral Hood Adjustment - How To?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C250 Sport
Lateral Hood Adjustment - How To?

I noticed what appears to be a misalignment with the hood (2012 C250) - the hood is about 1/4" left of the grill, as the attachment shows.

How is a left to right hood adjustment done?
Thx
Attached Thumbnails Lateral Hood Adjustment - How To?-image.jpg  

Last edited by Jde63; 08-02-2015 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Photo
Old 08-02-2015, 09:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 Mercedes-Benz C250, Iridium Silver Metallic; 2001 Mercedes-Benz C240, Brilliant Silver Metallic
How well does the hood line up along the fenders on the side? Maybe it's the bumper alignment that's off. Hard to tell with only that one picture.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 c350 Coupe
Is it off by that same 1/4 inch on the other side? Check your gaps around the fenders and headlights before you start. There are tools for it, but I guess a DIY could be to fold a piece of carton (something like a matchbook), and go around the gaps. If it's even, then your hood is fine.

If you determine your hood needs to be adjusted, you'll have to loosen the bolts at the hinges and on a long, heavy hood like that, make sure it'll be worth it if you start playing with that. You may also need to adjust the latch clamp (can't remember if there's one of two) as well depending on how much the hood was moved. Was the hood ever replaced or moved for any reason?

Generally, american cars' adjustments are the worst, because there's so much play when aligning parts. Japanese cars usually have the least amount of adjustment / play, and European cars are somewhere in between. If your hood hasn't been hit or ever replaced, I'd agree with W57thNY, bumpers and grilles tend to be off as the slightest bumps can move those parts.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:58 PM

2012 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by babyboxer1
Is it off by that same 1/4 inch on the other side? Check your gaps around the fenders and headlights before you start. There are tools for it, but I guess a DIY could be to fold a piece of carton (something like a matchbook), and go around the gaps. If it's even, then your hood is fine.

If you determine your hood needs to be adjusted, you'll have to loosen the bolts at the hinges and on a long, heavy hood like that, make sure it'll be worth it if you start playing with that. You may also need to adjust the latch clamp (can't remember if there's one of two) as well depending on how much the hood was moved. Was the hood ever replaced or moved for any reason?

Generally, american cars' adjustments are the worst, because there's so much play when aligning parts. Japanese cars usually have the least amount of adjustment / play, and European cars are somewhere in between. If your hood hasn't been hit or ever replaced, I'd agree with W57thNY, bumpers and grilles tend to be off as the slightest bumps can move those parts.

The drivers side is snug with the grill. I did bump the front underside on a parking block - perhaps the bumper shifted....thanks.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:05 PM

2013 c350 Coupe
Originally Posted by Jde63
The drivers side is snug with the grill. I did bump the front underside on a parking block - perhaps the bumper shifted....thanks.
That sucks - if that's the only noticeable thing, you got off pretty good I'd say. We're looking at a picture taken from probably a foot away and focused on that spot. You also know it's there, and to be honest I'm sure it would annoy me too at first, but would the average person notice it from 6-8 feet away? If not, It's probably not worth it to start messing with all those clips IMO.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:12 PM

2012 C250 Sport

Thank you - I have some parking block rash on the underside of front bumper. I need to have the bumper taken off and re sprayed, I ll have the dealer check the gaps.

The drivers side fit is better but there is room to go farther left.
Attached Thumbnails Lateral Hood Adjustment - How To?-image.jpg  

Last edited by Jde63; 08-02-2015 at 11:25 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:22 PM

2012 C250 Sport
That sucks - if that's the only noticeable thing, you got off pretty good I'd say. We're looking at a picture taken from probably a foot away and focused on that spot. You also know it's there, and to be honest I'm sure it would annoy me too at first, but would the average person notice it from 6-8 feet away? If not, It's probably not worth it to start messing with all those clips IMO.
I have had the car for nine months (still love it), a picture I took from six months ago doesn't seem to show the issue. It's under warranty thorough 2/15 too.

I must admit over the past two weeks I have become ridiculously obsessed over the tiniest cosmetic issues that seem to be appearing all of sudden...once I accept the latest new scratch to appear, I seem to notice another issue to occupy my mind.

I agree.... Not going near the clips.

Last edited by Jde63; 08-02-2015 at 11:24 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:32 PM

2013 c350 Coupe
Originally Posted by Jde63
I have had the car for nine months (still love it), a picture I took from six months ago doesn't seem to show the issue. It's under warranty thorough 2/15 too.

I must admit over the past two weeks I have become ridiculously obsessed over the tiniest cosmetic issues that seem to be appearing all of sudden...once I accept the latest new scratch to appear, I seem to notice another issue to occupy my mind.

I agree.... Not going near the clips.
We're alike - I have a love/hate relationship with washing my car for that same reason haha