C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

AUTOMOTIVE GRADE LINUX / IVI PROJECT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 06:36 PM

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
2017 C43 AMG, 2010 C350 4Matic, 9 Motorcycles
AUTOMOTIVE GRADE LINUX / IVI PROJECT

Hey!

This may be wayyyy out in left field to some... I understand a lot of people here are VERY mechanically inclined... I'm a mechanical engineer so I'm with you!

But I recently started a side project for an old 1990 Jeep I'm doing a frame up resto which is basically running a Linux Distro as the infotainment system...
It has to be fairly powerful and very versatile as it will serve as a media centre when myself and the misses go camping/tow the boat and what not.

As I'm going through it I realized it has the potential to be used in my 2010 C350 too if all goes well...

My issue now is I'm torn whether or not to develop my own GUI, or attempt to build AGL (Automotive Grade Linux) which is still in development...

I am having trouble building the AGL distro to test at the moment though..

Does anybody have much experience with Linux/building distro's?

Maybe not something that can be answered on this forum but I figured I would check as there are MANY very intelligent people in our community!

Thanks!!
Old 06-22-2016, 06:40 PM

I would also have no problem giving away source code when I get it finished so I ask you this:

In your PERFECT IVI/Infotainment system, what would you like to see/what do you NEED?

Old 06-22-2016, 09:32 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
14' E63S
I would help since I am not a mechanical engineer but a Computer Engineer. But, it's linux, and you don't need to use linux.

Why does it need to be fairly powerful? I am guessing you will mostly be using it to watch movies, so a Raspberry Pi 2 will do the job to run Full HD content without issues. For a GUI you can always do some research and use a car based XBMC system.

No need to reinvent the wheel when there are solutions. Also SanDisk has car based storage for your media center too.
The following users liked this post:
Josh.A.Hussey (06-22-2016)
Old 06-22-2016, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Andriy242
I would help since I am not a mechanical engineer but a Computer Engineer. But, it's linux, and you don't need to use linux.

Why does it need to be fairly powerful? I am guessing you will mostly be using it to watch movies, so a Raspberry Pi 2 will do the job to run Full HD content without issues. For a GUI you can always do some research and use a car based XBMC system.

No need to reinvent the wheel when there are solutions. Also SanDisk has car based storage for your media center too.

Just powerful enough to run the apps I guess! I'm sure you know better than I, I just know that I'm using a PI2 to run NAVIT at the moment just to check out the SatNav ability and it seems excrutiatingly slow...

I actually have been constantly googling and researching this and after going threw multiple links from site to site, what do ya know, I ended up back here!

Linux is not a necessity I just figured it may be convenient as the AGL project is on going and many of the applications I would like to have are currently being developed...

Now, after about a month of research, one post on MBworld has caused me to lean more towards Win10...

Check this out, this would be the DREAM... I would love to do this...
https://mbworld.org/forums/clk55-amg...-thread-6.html
Old 06-22-2016, 09:43 PM

as a side not, I GREATLY underestimated the non-mechanical abilities present in our community... I guess I was just led to believe that because we (obviously) have a MUCH greater deal of mechanical issues to deal with xD
Old 06-22-2016, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 118 Likes on 109 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic Sport Sedan
I wish I had that! it seems like a ton of work...

Subscribing to see where this thread goes hahaha!
Old 06-22-2016, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by MB Marko
I wish I had that! it seems like a ton of work...

Subscribing to see where this thread goes hahaha!
haha it will go somewhere!! Not sure where that is yet.... hahah!

I will warn you though it'll be going in my jeep before my C-Class!

But if all goes right then it will be in that not long after!!
Old 06-22-2016, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 118 Likes on 109 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic Sport Sedan
this is DIY material hahaha!! if you do end up doing it in the C class, make sure you take lots of photos!
Old 06-23-2016, 08:11 AM

Looking further into it, it seems like the hardest part is finding the courage to drop $$$ on IR cameras... Maybe that part will have to wait until I hit the lottery. But other than that I think I can get it going.. I've decided to go Win10 based on megacrazy's build and choice of software and then build most likely a custom HTML5 application as a home screen. The HUD will be an afterthought for me as well as I have NO room for that in the jeep (plus I'm not sure it has any OBD being from 1990..) and in the C-Class I have the navigation. So as you know the screen folds up when you start the car, I think I will more than likely throw the screen in that same mechanism... Then either A try to integrate the command knob as a mouse, which believe it or not should be fairly simple if I can get the help of some people in my office and what they do every single day.. (Check out the Compusult Jouse 3 on YouTube!) and if not I'll just go with the 3D mouse like megacrazy has done!

If any software is developed to use the command knob as a mouse, I will happily share it with the MBworld community.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:14 AM

Not sure if I want to go with touchscreen.. I think I'm better off keeping it with a mouse set up, this both keeps people's dirty fingers off my screen, keeps the cost of a good IPS panel down, and allows easy upgrade to the HUD if I so desire in the future as the controls interfacing won't need to be changed!

... This makes me quite excited...

apparently I have a lot of mechanical fixes to do first..
Old 06-23-2016, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 281 Likes on 189 Posts
CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Originally Posted by Josh.A.Hussey
Looking further into it, it seems like the hardest part is finding the courage to drop $$$ on IR cameras... Maybe that part will have to wait until I hit the lottery. But other than that I think I can get it going.. I've decided to go Win10 based on megacrazy's build and choice of software and then build most likely a custom HTML5 application as a home screen. The HUD will be an afterthought for me as well as I have NO room for that in the jeep (plus I'm not sure it has any OBD being from 1990..) and in the C-Class I have the navigation. So as you know the screen folds up when you start the car, I think I will more than likely throw the screen in that same mechanism... Then either A try to integrate the command knob as a mouse, which believe it or not should be fairly simple if I can get the help of some people in my office and what they do every single day.. (Check out the Compusult Jouse 3 on YouTube!) and if not I'll just go with the 3D mouse like megacrazy has done!

If any software is developed to use the command knob as a mouse, I will happily share it with the MBworld community.
Glad somebody else is going the carputer route here

Here are a few things I would consider while designing this:

- Use the most powerful computer you can afford. Car apps need to run quickly and you won't have to upgrade it in 2 years.
- Use win 10. Yes, I said that. Lots of app choices, starts quickly, has a tablet mode and is all around fast. Other options are Android (lots of x86 ports) or Linux. Both suck in terms of boot times, peripheral support and app/system corruption from unexpected power outages. I tested both and I wouldn't consider using them.
- Consider cooling for the computer. It will overheat if it's in a small enclosed compartment, regardless if it has a case fan or not.
- Plan everything in advance. How will it work exactly? Will there be issues with daily usage? It needs to be on when you get in, off when you get out etc etc.
- Check what software is available. If everyone else is using a specific app...it doesn't mean it'll be the best for your needs. There are a lot of obscure incomplete apps out there that can be customized and made very useful with some coding knowledge.
- Plan for upgrades. Will you have to rip the whole thing out in 2 years or can you just swap out the computer easily...
- Don't spend too much time trying to reverse engineer existing systems (command knob etc). You can get much much better hardware off the shelf.
- I would go for a combination of touchscreen and some sort of mouse controller. Touch screens are very annoying to use while driving.
- Features like NV/IR cameras are only really useful with a HUD. You can't spend your time staring down at a screen.

Hopefully everything works out well
The following users liked this post:
Josh.A.Hussey (06-23-2016)
Old 06-23-2016, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by megacrazy
Glad somebody else is going the carputer route here

Here are a few things I would consider while designing this:

- Use the most powerful computer you can afford. Car apps need to run quickly and you won't have to upgrade it in 2 years.
- Use win 10. Yes, I said that. Lots of app choices, starts quickly, has a tablet mode and is all around fast. Other options are Android (lots of x86 ports) or Linux. Both suck in terms of boot times, peripheral support and app/system corruption from unexpected power outages. I tested both and I wouldn't consider using them.
- Consider cooling for the computer. It will overheat if it's in a small enclosed compartment, regardless if it has a case fan or not.
- Plan everything in advance. How will it work exactly? Will there be issues with daily usage? It needs to be on when you get in, off when you get out etc etc.
- Check what software is available. If everyone else is using a specific app...it doesn't mean it'll be the best for your needs. There are a lot of obscure incomplete apps out there that can be customized and made very useful with some coding knowledge.
- Plan for upgrades. Will you have to rip the whole thing out in 2 years or can you just swap out the computer easily...
- Don't spend too much time trying to reverse engineer existing systems (command knob etc). You can get much much better hardware off the shelf.
- I would go for a combination of touchscreen and some sort of mouse controller. Touch screens are very annoying to use while driving.
- Features like NV/IR cameras are only really useful with a HUD. You can't spend your time staring down at a screen.

Hopefully everything works out well

- I have a mini ATX board with an AMD FX 8350 processor that I was going liquid cool! I was planning on tapping a CPU block to a larger (and more standard) fitting size, and then crimping some custom lengther hydraulic hose and using a bigger pump mounted in the engine cabinet and a radiator mounted in front of the stock rad! I know this sounds like overkill... AND IT IS .

That will 100% be powerful enough. .

- How did you get CoPilot GPS on Win10?! And if you are using Win10 Mobile... How did you get it!?!? I can't find it anywhere! Not even a purchase from Microsoft! Currently I've been trying to boot a developmental image of AGL based on GENIVI and TIZEN linux stacks and it is NOT going good... I'm definitely switching to Windows if not for that but for the boot time, you're right... Automotive standard for these types of systems is NO MORE than 3.5 seconds... If someone can get a PI to boot in less than that to a useable state... You're a genius! Hahaha.

- I think I covered cooling in the first point!

- Planning is crucial and that is some SOLID advice... Plan, design, function test, duty cylce test, fitment test, install!!

- Software is tough to decide on! I tried to get the software you have but I am having some trouble with it as mentioned about with CoPilot GPS...

- I am planning on making a removable tray that I can unplug cables from the back of and then unclip/unpin/release latch and slide out... Shouldn't be too tough!

- My issue is the command knob is that replacing it with a different controller in my car seems like a pretty huge task to make look refined... it's got a very.. distinct shape!

- Touchscreens are the bane of my existence... I think they are great for some things but in vehicles I can't stand it... I am going to have it as a touchscreen but that will be strictly for passenger ease of use... I will be controlling it via 3D mouse, Ball mouse, or command knob.
I would MUCH rather have a good IPS panel than a LCD touchscreen...

- When it comes to my jeep project, the HUD doesn't fit but it should be good for off-roading late at night with passengers just on the screen in the dash! For everyday use in a vehicle or touring/highway driving, def not.

I really appreciate your input!!
Any software advice???
Old 06-24-2016, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts
2013 C250 Sport
It would be cool to see this with 4g connectivity and OBD2 access.

I just checked MSDN to see if there was anything but the closest I could find was Windows CE from way back.

I'd probably start with doing something like a phone, tablet or USB stick running Win 10 or android. Then it becomes a matter of assembling the software.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by michail71
It would be cool to see this with 4g connectivity and OBD2 access. I just checked MSDN to see if there was anything but the closest I could find was Windows CE from way back. I'd probably start with doing something like a phone, tablet or USB stick running Win 10 or android. Then it becomes a matter of assembling the software.
Yeah it makes sense tho! Proprietary software... But although a tablet will work perfect for what most people want, the adaptability and expandability that I'm really looking for.

... I'm just being picky I think! Haha. I just want to be able to update when it becomes obsolete(aka three months like the rest of technology) without having to replace the entire system!
Old 06-25-2016, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Originally Posted by Josh.A.Hussey
- I have a mini ATX board with an AMD FX 8350 processor that I was going liquid cool! I was planning on tapping a CPU block to a larger (and more standard) fitting size, and then crimping some custom lengther hydraulic hose and using a bigger pump mounted in the engine cabinet and a radiator mounted in front of the stock rad! I know this sounds like overkill... AND IT IS .

That will 100% be powerful enough. .

- How did you get CoPilot GPS on Win10?! And if you are using Win10 Mobile... How did you get it!?!? I can't find it anywhere! Not even a purchase from Microsoft! Currently I've been trying to boot a developmental image of AGL based on GENIVI and TIZEN linux stacks and it is NOT going good... I'm definitely switching to Windows if not for that but for the boot time, you're right... Automotive standard for these types of systems is NO MORE than 3.5 seconds... If someone can get a PI to boot in less than that to a useable state... You're a genius! Hahaha.

- I think I covered cooling in the first point!

- Planning is crucial and that is some SOLID advice... Plan, design, function test, duty cylce test, fitment test, install!!

- Software is tough to decide on! I tried to get the software you have but I am having some trouble with it as mentioned about with CoPilot GPS...

- I am planning on making a removable tray that I can unplug cables from the back of and then unclip/unpin/release latch and slide out... Shouldn't be too tough!

- My issue is the command knob is that replacing it with a different controller in my car seems like a pretty huge task to make look refined... it's got a very.. distinct shape!

- Touchscreens are the bane of my existence... I think they are great for some things but in vehicles I can't stand it... I am going to have it as a touchscreen but that will be strictly for passenger ease of use... I will be controlling it via 3D mouse, Ball mouse, or command knob.
I would MUCH rather have a good IPS panel than a LCD touchscreen...

- When it comes to my jeep project, the HUD doesn't fit but it should be good for off-roading late at night with passengers just on the screen in the dash! For everyday use in a vehicle or touring/highway driving, def not.

I really appreciate your input!!
Any software advice???

Sounds good. Software advice? Let's see.

You can get Copilot laptop so it will work on any Windows based system. However, I'm using Sygic which is a Windows 10 app. You can get it from the store. It has a newer interface and you can mess around with it more than Copilot.

You should also look at using Autohotkey scripts to do interface related things and automate everything. Chances are you won't want to minimize and maximize windows while driving. Centrafuse is old but works well as a media player/manager for multiple displays.

Honestly the interface is a whole other project on its own. I spent a long long time getting everything to function at the click of the 3d mouse. I worked on bot the software (on a different machine) and the hardware concurrently.

Also don't be afraid to innovate a little. I have a leapmotion controller sitting on my desk. It would be nice to have that in a car and be able to manipulate the interface by simply holding your hand up wouldn't it haha.

Like I said before, the biggest step is planning. It's much easier to work according to a plan than figuring out things as you go.
Old 06-25-2016, 01:35 PM

Sounds good. Software advice? Let's see. You can get Copilot laptop so it will work on any Windows based system. However, I'm using Sygic which is a Windows 10 app. You can get it from the store. It has a newer interface and you can mess around with it more than Copilot. You should also look at using Autohotkey scripts to do interface related things and automate everything. Chances are you won't want to minimize and maximize windows while driving. Centrafuse is old but works well as a media player/manager for multiple displays. Honestly the interface is a whole other project on its own. I spent a long long time getting everything to function at the click of the 3d mouse. I worked on bot the software (on a different machine) and the hardware concurrently. Also don't be afraid to innovate a little. I have a leapmotion controller sitting on my desk. It would be nice to have that in a car and be able to manipulate the interface by simply holding your hand up wouldn't it haha. Like I said before, the biggest step is planning. It's much easier to work according to a plan than figuring out things as you go.

That's really funny because I have considered rebuilding my car and the infotainment system two separate projects, I guess I will try to look at it more like 3 projects haha. A car, a computer, and software. When it comes to scripts and automation that shouldn't be an issue, like I said I work at a software development company and I have been working on an HTML5 application to boot to with different apps and hot keys to return to home screen and go to different apps. I also am looking at a hot key for going to the actual Windows desktop but password protected as it could be dangerous if a passenger gets lost in the OS and I have to try to get back to the media player and what not without the HUD.. Could take valuable time off looking at the road!

I appreciate all your help. Not sure I would've made the switch from Linux to win10 which means I'm not sure I would've got anywhere worth while anytime soon.

Also, I downloaded sygic yesterday! It seems really good!
Old 07-06-2016, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Yeah definitely don't mess with it on the road. Amazon has a lot of miniature 2.4GHz keyboards that come in pretty handy if you do need to go into windows.

Question about Sygic. Have you tried it on the road yet? Does your position update smoothly when you're going at over 40mph? Mine is a little spotty. I don't think Sygic can handle 10Hz update rates from the GPS antenna very well.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:41 PM

Yeah definitely don't mess with it on the road. Amazon has a lot of miniature 2.4GHz keyboards that come in pretty handy if you do need to go into windows.

Question about Sygic. Have you tried it on the road yet? Does your position update smoothly when you're going at over 40mph? Mine is a little spotty. I don't think Sygic can handle 10Hz update rates from the GPS antenna very well.
I will test tomorrow and get back to you!

And to everyone else, I did NOT forget to take pictures of this... I've been caught in the grinder with the stealership... Will be replacing my own CV boot soon as apparently their techs can't do it..

But I will get back at it and have it up as soon as I can!