C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

MB experience (MyBad Experience)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C220 Sport / 2014 / 2.1 (W205)
MB experience (MyBad Experience)

Well after spending a number of months deciding on which company car I should go for I decided on a C-Class. This decision was mainly based on the excellent customer service I received whilst looking for a vehicle.

After a short wait of around 8 weeks, my car was finally ready and I booked the day off work to receive it. It was fantastic, looked great and was very comfortable. I eagerly read through the manual to see how everything worked, but was surprised that the manual showed images of the previous models dashboard etc. I managed to figure most things out myself but one option puzzled me. IP Radio. I had managed to tether my phone and could browse the net etc., but every time I tried this it failed to work. I called the MB helpdesk and they said everything I was doing was correct and advised taking it to my local dealer. I did this and they had no clue, owing to the model being so new. I tried another dealership , who gave me the same story. So still to this day I have no idea how to get it to work.

So back to my experience. As I live in Derby but work out of Scotland I managed to rack up a few thousand miles in the first 4 weeks. On one of my return trips from Inverness the Engine Management Light came on. The car was driving fine, but I was concerned so pulled in at a services. I called MB and explained the scenario. They told me that it would be ok to drive as the car would go in to 'limp' mode if it was anything serious. However they advised to take it in to the dealer asap so they could check with the diagnostic tool.

Later that day I took it in to the dealer, but was told they were extremely busy so couldn't look at it till later in the week. I explained I worked away and needed the car before then, so the guy went off and managed to book it in for the Saturday morning.

On the following morning I sat and waited and when they came back they advised a CAT sensor had triggered the fault. They had reset it and told me it should be fine, but bring it back if I had anymore issues.

Two weeks to the day later and further 1,400 miles and yet again the EML came on. This time something was different, the car appeared to have gone into 'limp' mode. I carried on as I was only 20 minutes from home, but called MB to tell them, at 15:28. They arranged for a recovery vehicle to meet me at my home. So I continued on my way. Approx 5 minutes later the car lost all torque and would not change up higher than 3rd gear. On a main dual carriageway stuck at 30mph with 44 ton lorries flashing behind me was scary. Hazard lights on and managed to make it in to a lay by. Called them back to change my pick up location at 15:39.

The first tow truck arrived at 16:53. I was pleased to see him considering I had been stranded at the side of the road in blistering heat for over an hour!

He looked over the vehicle, but couldn't see where to connect his diagnostic machine, but was concerned it may not fit anyway as they change the plug connections. He told me as it was a RWD he couldn't tow it, but had spoken to MB and they were arranging a Flatbed to collect the car. Off he went at 17:09, telling me his mate would be here in the next 5 minutes or so. Whilst waiting MB called me to explain I was entitled to a replacement car, as I couldn't hear her very well, she said she would call me when I got home. She never did!

Another hour of sweltering sun and he arrived 18:20. We eventually got the car on the truck and I got home. He advised they would collect the car in the morning and drop it at the dealer as they were currently closed, so I was happy as I just wanted to get home and out of the sun!

08:15 the following day they came to collect the car, I went with him to the dealership as it appeared the car had re-set itself and the EML had gone off. We checked in the car and I was greeted by a service agent. She explained the car would not be looked at until Monday, so I inquired about a replacement as I had not had a return call. She got MB to call me and they took my details and arranged a car. I was a little perturbed when they said I would need to make a £50 deposit for the vehicle, but just wanted to get home. The hire company called me and told me the car would be with me before 11:30, so I sat and waited. At 10:57 they rang me to say the car would not be ready until 13:30!

I have now walked home over 3 miles in yet again super hot conditions. The car is now coming to my home address and I then have to go back to swap over all of my work gear from the boot of my other car.

What a joke!

Don't get me wrong the staff on reception at the dealership were friendly and helpful but the whole process is crazy and un-coordinated.

Sorry for the long post - letting off steam!
Old 07-26-2014, 01:42 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
2015 C 180 AMG Sportline W205
IMHO you received pretty good service. Them looking at the car on a Saturday, and taking the car in and looking at it multiple times. As a smart person, you must surely understand that the workshops are staffed according to the bookings, and one does not have an extra employee sitting and waiting for someone to come by.
Same goes for the hiring companies, and tow trucks. If you are lucky they have extra vehicles/tow trucks. If not, you have to wait until a former customer delivers the hire car back to the hiring company, or the tow truck finishes his/hers ongoing assignment first.

Every customer is important, and they try their best. If you had bought a 2014/2015 S63AMG then the service level is probably entirely different (my guess).

Regarding the deposit for the hire car: you are getting a free hire car, but Mercedes is not responsible for any accidents, empty fuel etc, thus you have to follow the hire companies rules.

I see that you have read the entire owners manual. Did you read the section about how the car is to be used the first 1500km? No cruise control, no revving the engine over 4000rpms and no kickdown thus forcing the car to change gears?

You also say that you got the old dashboard pictures. The owners manual for the W205 is included in the audio 20/comand and in the Mercedes app for iPhone/iPad for example.

As a conclusion: it sucks getting such issues with a brand new car. Be patient, be humble and polite, but stick to your rights, and I hope you get the car back soon in A1 conditin
Good luck
Old 07-27-2014, 05:53 AM

I'm just feeling a bit frustrated. It's a company car, but the company's lease company just pass me through to MB. I think this contributes to some issues, as well as it being 'out of hours' and a weekend. Previously our company insurance has covered any deposits etc. That in mind though just because it is a company vehicle I would still expect to be treated as any other customer. Communication is key to good customer satisfaction, as well as delivering on your promises.

I like the car but I want something reliable. With the amount of miles I travel I need to know I'm not going to get stranded somewhere.

Got a C200 Sport dropped off as a hire car, same model as mine but petrol engine instead of diesel. Noticeably quieter, but that is to be expected.

I can see that most of the issues are due to 3rd party interfaces i.e. recovery company, hire company, however the car still has an underlying issue. Hopefully they will sort it sooner than later.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:44 AM

W205 C200 (Petrol) Sport Premium Plus
Hi Earwig999,

Hope you manage to get a quick and long lasting solution to the problem with your car. I'm considering buying a C200 after having had many totally trouble free years of driving a series of Lexus and Honda cars. Reliability is my number one priority and so I'd be very interested to hear how W205 owners are getting on with their cars.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:51 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
benzw205
Thank you for the report, I really feel for you and hope it will be fine soon.

I want to keep record of all problems met by this board user and will make a list there:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...xperience.html
Old 07-29-2014, 01:41 PM

They have had to order a part for the 'fuel distribution system'?

Basically sounds like a pump which takes fuel from one of the two tanks and pumps it into the other tank to be used.

Would make sense as it has happened on both occasions when there has been less than a 1/4 of fuel in the tank.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:38 AM

Update - It was the stirrup pump that had to be replaced, no idea why though. Anyway, you will not believe it but I fetched the car back from the dealer, drove 2 minutes away and a Ford transit decided to drive into the back of me. His excuse...... he sneezed!

So now waiting for it to go to the bodyshop to re-form the rear bumper. I'm sure someone or something it trying to tell me not to use this car.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:31 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
benzw205
So sorry for you !!! My heart would be so broken...
Old 08-08-2014, 07:27 PM

C220 AMG Saloon 2014 Premium Plus Bluetec
I had issues with the car once I had a tracker fitted - all resolved now (details in the collision prevention assist thread on the same board).

Hoping no more problems occur! I found their customer service to be impeccable but living in London, I had a choice of service centres to have it taken to. I got it taken to a dedicated service centre (no sales department) as it was the closest to me and also I believe they wouldn't be targeted on just turnaround times but a higher emphasis on customer satisfaction. The systems just needed resetting and was resolved within 24 hours. Also fitted my new plates on for free as I received DVLA authorisation while the car was in the garage.

Hope you have no more problems when you get the car back!
Old 01-29-2015, 02:32 PM

Bit of an update since my last post.

Had to have a Safety Recall for the Steering Column Coupling and most recently the Timing Chain Tensioner.

Also in between both of these events I accidentally locked my keys in the boot. Luckily they came out and managed to get in after about an hour of jacking it up, getting in the bonnet, removing the plastic all around the engine, removing a wiper (at which point I left him to it).

Not the luckiest with the car but still like it, just don't love it.

However this could all change depending on how successful I get with mercedes.me app on the iphone.