C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Collision Assist/Attention Assist

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C240, 2015 C300
Collision Assist/Attention Assist

First question,
Has anyone had any experiences where your Collision Assist will beep at you when there's nothing in front of you? I'm afraid I'm going to get a random braking while I'm driving one day.

Second question,
Is Attention Assist standard? I can't really tell from what I've read. I didn't get the extra package with all of the driving safety features, though mine did come with Blind Spot Assist. I thought that was stupid and figured I'd check my own blind spot, but it's actually come in handy once or twice. I'm also wondering about attention assist because I figured maybe it's not Collision Assist that's beeping at me when there's nothing around and it's actually Attention Assist. I thought a coffee symbol popped up for this though.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:24 PM

2015 C400W4
I also have the Blind Spot Assist but not that Driver Assistance package. I found Attention Assist came disabled by default, and I was able to enable it. I have yet to hear any phantom beeping from Collision Assist though.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,067 Likes on 703 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by Binky390
First question,
Has anyone had any experiences where your Collision Assist will beep at you when there's nothing in front of you? I'm afraid I'm going to get a random braking while I'm driving one day.

Second question,
Is Attention Assist standard? I can't really tell from what I've read. I didn't get the extra package with all of the driving safety features, though mine did come with Blind Spot Assist. I thought that was stupid and figured I'd check my own blind spot, but it's actually come in handy once or twice. I'm also wondering about attention assist because I figured maybe it's not Collision Assist that's beeping at me when there's nothing around and it's actually Attention Assist. I thought a coffee symbol popped up for this though.
Collision assist can activate randomly in some situtions, good common examples are under low bridges, entering tunnels, etc. You should not have full activation in those instances but the light that says brake (on Acuras and Hondas don't remember what it on mercedes) can light up. Its normal. Surprisingly in Honda systems you can change the sensitivity of the system, almost entirely eliminating false alarms. On Mercedes I haven't seen that option in the manual.
Im not sure if all vehicles have attention assist but I think they do.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 CLA 250 4Matic Black
First question,

Second question,
Attention Assist is standard along with Collision Assist in North America.
I am not sure if you have Parktonic, that can actually give you a false alarm during a snow or heavy rain/hail/sleet precipitation. As the snow or slushy material slides down in front of the sensor it will trigger both the visual and audio warnings. This has been the case for some time in my few MB experiences.

Collision Assist may give you that false alarm on some streets where your lane changes to a sharp turn to the right, the system momentarily sees the incoming car as being in front of you. It does not last too long.
Its a Red triangular warning along with the beep.
Attention Assist only gives you on my W204 a coffee cup symbol along with the written warning, on the W205 I am guessing it just says you need to take a break. I have never had it come on so I would have to check the manual to see if there is an audio alarm as well.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:00 AM

2002 C240, 2015 C300
Thanks for the info. I'm guessing the random "false alarms" I've been seeing were Collision Assist related things. I do a lot of city driving so something must be setting it off.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C300 Luxury
First question,

Second question,
Attention assist is standard. No it does not randomly brake for you, it only does that for imminent collisions by preapplying brakes.

There are two sensitivity settings, I have mine on sensitive. Only time it beeps at me are when I'm

A) Not braking and
B) It thinks I'm going to hit something
C) I'm trying to change lanes and Blind Spot light is on

Sometimes it thinks I'll hit the ground if the car goes up and down on a slopy road. Sometimes it thinks I'll hit a guard rail as I'm going around a curve very fast.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:50 AM

2002 C240, 2015 C300
Originally Posted by Jinzen
Attention assist is standard. No it does not randomly brake for you, it only does that for imminent collisions by preapplying brakes.

There are two sensitivity settings, I have mine on sensitive. Only time it beeps at me are when I'm

A) Not braking and

Sometimes it thinks I'll hit the ground if the car goes up and down on a slopy road. Sometimes it thinks I'll hit a guard rail as I'm going around a curve very fast.
Wait what? I think you misunderstood my post. I know what Collision Assist does. My question was about the fact that Collision Assist would beep at me when there was nothing in front of me. I was afraid that if this was the case and I didn't brake because there was no reason to, that it would apply the brakes for me as the system is supposed to.

My second question was about Attention Assist. I wondered if that came standard and if it was possible that Collision Assist wasn't what I was hearing but if Attention Assist was. I'm thinking it's not and my car is detecting other things in the area. Attention Assist doesn't brake for you at all does it? It just keeps you alert?
Old 11-25-2014, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by Jinzen

A) Not braking and

Glad to know about the sensitivity settings. They can be very annoying on high sensitivity. Personally, I like those things to alarm as little as possible if at all.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 C450; 2008 RX400h
Attention Assist doesn't brake for you at all does it? It just keeps you alert?
No, it just measures a whole set of a parameters to see if you may be exhibiting signs or drowsiness. In my E class, it has gone off a couple of times, but never when I'm actually feeling tired, so I am not sure how well it works. In any event, on the E, you get beeps and a warning in the speedometer display and the coffee cup icon in the display also changes to red. I don't remember seeing the coffee cup icon in my test drives of the C, so I assume the display between the gauges would pop up the warning (which is to "Take a Break!").
Old 11-25-2014, 08:39 PM

2015 C400 4Matic
now that i read your post, it reminded me of a scary circumstance when i was driving my C400.

so basically I was in this two-lane freeway acceleration part with concrete columns (rails?walls?) on both side (road was under construction for expansion i suppose):

--------------------------------------------
- - [me] - - - - - - - [ car A ]
------------------------------------------- (graphic not to scale)
- - [Car B ] - - - - - - - - - - -
---------------------------------------------

so I accelerated to this position and started signaling, i delayed just long enough to make sure i had sufficient passing space.

- - - - - - - - [me] - [ car A ]

Then i decided to make the lane change with my nose almost sniffing Car A:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -[ car A ]
-------------------------------------------
- - [Car B ] - - - [me] - -

But right after I have successfully entered the right lane, My C400 decided to give out the collision warning and hit the brake so hard while my foot was still pushing on gas .

Needless to say my speed dropped to 60km/h or so and scared the driver behind me so bad. and me? almost sht my pants and couldnt handle that death stare when Car B went past me while i was recovering speed.

I guess to him, all i did was accelerated infront of him and braked so hard almost to a stop.

I'm so not driving like this again with parktronic sensors on.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:40 PM

B200T
Originally Posted by utsenmo
now that i read your post, it reminded me of a scary circumstance when i was driving my C400.

so basically I was in this two-lane freeway acceleration part with concrete columns (rails?walls?) on both side (road was under construction for expansion i suppose):

so I accelerated to this position and started signaling, i delayed just long enough to make sure i had sufficient passing space.

But right after I have successfully entered the right lane, My C400 decided to give out the collision warning and hit the brake so hard while my foot was still pushing on gas .

Needless to say my speed dropped to 60km/h or so and scared the driver behind me so bad. and me? almost sht my pants and couldnt handle that death stare when Car B went past me while i was recovering speed.

I guess to him, all i did was accelerated infront of him and braked so hard almost to a stop.

Not parktronic...Distronic Plus.

Yeah, I hear you on that...I'm scared of what the system would do to me as well.

This can be turned off though, on cars equipped with it, can it not?
Old 11-25-2014, 10:59 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
'18 GLC 300 4M/Air Suspension
Originally Posted by mihaelb
Not parktronic...Distronic Plus.

Yeah, I hear you on that...I'm scared of what the system would do to me as well.

This can be turned off though, on cars equipped with it, can it not?
I think Distronic maintains a safe distance from the vehicle you are following, when you have the cruise control on.

Brake Assist System (BAS) is a function in the Driver Assistance Package, which could have caused the unintended braking. This can be turned off.

I believe the Collision Prevention Asst comes standard, and it too could cause unintended braking. It can be turned off using the steering wheel controls.

I don't have my C300 yet, and I'm still reading the manual. So I could be wrong.

Now I'm wondering if you have dual systems readily available to cause automatic braking, is that a good thing?
Old 11-25-2014, 11:13 PM

B200T
Originally Posted by PeteInGilroy
I think Distronic maintains a safe distance from the vehicle you are following, when you have the cruise control on.

Brake Assist System (BAS) is a function in the Driver Assistance Package, which could have caused the unintended braking. This can be turned off.

I believe the Collision Prevention Asst comes standard, and it too could cause unintended braking. It can be turned off using the steering wheel controls.

I don't have my C300 yet, and I'm still reading the manual. So I could be wrong.

Now I'm wondering if you have dual systems readily available to cause automatic braking, is that a good thing?
You're right about the BAS. But to be more accurate, it's the BAS Plus. The regular (non-Plus) variants of the safety features only warn you, but do not take any action. At least the way I understood.
So BAS, Lane Assist, Distronic...without the plus, they just notify. With Plus, BAS will do emergency braking, Lane Assist will keep you in your lane by braking one side's wheels, and Distronic will adjust speed, rather than just notify you when you get too close.

Still not sure if BAS Plus (the one that really scares me) can be deactivated or not.

BAS Plus: http://www.daimler.com/dccom/0-5-121...0-0-0-0-0.html
Old 11-25-2014, 11:27 PM

2015 C400 4Matic
Originally Posted by mihaelb
You're right about the BAS. But to be more accurate, it's the BAS Plus. The regular (non-Plus) variants of the safety features only warn you, but do not take any action. At least the way I understood.
So BAS, Lane Assist, Distronic...without the plus, they just notify. With Plus, BAS will do emergency braking, Lane Assist will keep you in your lane by braking one side's wheels, and Distronic will adjust speed, rather than just notify you when you get too close.

Still not sure if BAS Plus (the one that really scares me) can be deactivated or not.

BAS Plus: http://www.daimler.com/dccom/0-5-121...0-0-0-0-0.html
that is what i believed too until my c400 without the BAS plus (part of the intelligent drive package in Canada which gives you everything else) decided to magically brake on me. Oh well, i guess i just cant count on it being active in the future and finds out it doesnt ....

Old 11-25-2014, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
All the cars stop on their own, that's the collision mitigation system. Distronic is the self following system, the plus is the pedestrian recognition system. I know, a lot of acronyms, with feature that overlap. The easiest way to figure it out is to know how they work. Distronic is a basicly a radar system . The lane keeping assist is a visual system. The plus in distronic is the addition of the cameras as a visual recognition system. The collision mitigation system uses the distronic radar to function. Hope this helps, I had to read the darned thing multiple times to figure it out. There are also additional radar receivers beneath the bumpers for the blind spot system, I think ( this one is the one I haven't completely) they also control the cross traffic system.

Last edited by c4004matic; 11-26-2014 at 12:08 AM.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:37 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
benzw205
Attention assist does not break, it's the coffee cup that shows sometimes, but i still do not know why ?
Old 12-01-2014, 08:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
Originally Posted by benzw205
Attention assist does not break, it's the coffee cup that shows sometimes, but i still do not know why ?
Yes, but does it actually dispense a cup of coffee? Can you specify decaf, or is caffeinated coffee the only choice?
Old 12-01-2014, 09:22 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Mercedes C250 Coupe
.....that coffee cup? I drew a blank. (thanks)

ez
Old 08-20-2019, 04:22 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
e400 wagon
Hi All,

I started a thread so we can get a head count on people with this issue, across different platforms. If your car's having this problem, please post here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-...ml#post7833418
Old 09-06-2019, 02:14 PM

GLC 300SUV Coupe
If you go up an incline at certain speeds not to fast not to slow the brake warning will go off, sometimes not all the time.
Old 09-06-2019, 02:25 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
e400 wagon
Originally Posted by tommoore
If you go up an incline at certain speeds not to fast not to slow the brake warning will go off, sometimes not all the time.

And in some cases, it will also kill the accelerator.

Unfortunately for me, my own driveway is one of those cases!
Old 09-06-2019, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 444 Likes on 344 Posts
2015 C300 4Matic Sport
Talking

Originally Posted by utsenmo

I have the 997 package. Things I have noticed:
  • If I have the follow distance set to the closest distance and I am moving very fast towards stopped vehicles, the Distronic Plus doesn't seem like it will slow down, until the last second. (I haven't found the courage to test if the car will actually slow down in time, I just start braking manually)
  • The Distronic Plus acts weird if a car suddenly cuts me off and moves into my lane. (I always turn it off if I see another car is very close and trying to move into my lane)
  • The Distronic Plus acts weird if a car in front suddenly leaves my lane and another car is stopped ahead.
  • The Active Lane keeping assist sometimes actives when another car is right next to me and makes them think I am being aggressive and trying to swerve into their lane.
  • I always turn off Distronic Plus if I am changing lanes and cars are close (to avoid any random braking issues).
  • When turning at the light, my car might beep twice if the car in the other lane seems to be too close.
  • If I activate Distronic Plus (going about 50) and I press the gas pedal to speed up (to maybe 70), when I release the gas pedal, the Distronic Plus will reengage and brake hard to get back to the slower speed. It's not gentle about it. (I always turn it off If I want to speed up and pass someone)
  • The car will suddenly beep and alert me randomly and when I look around I see nothing wrong. (my guess is 268 or 253 alerts)
  • The pre-safe brake saved me when a another driver changed lanes and stopped suddenly in front of me. I braked hard, but the car took over in the last second.

Last edited by benzdude; 09-06-2019 at 06:34 PM.