C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

add POI into Garmin Map Pilot

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W205 C250
I'm using v2.4, I'm sure all alerts worked ok on v2.3 ! Specs camera alerts still not working Strange, just got alerted to a specs camera, it missed all the others. My phone ysing the same cameras picked up everyone. I think the garmin map pilot software is dodgy

Last edited by gsw5700; 04-02-2015 at 10:12 AM.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:32 AM

W205 220 BT
Seems something went wrong with V2.4! Tonight I'll try with brand new icons but I'm afraid nothing will change till they'll fix the SW.
Edit: in fact noting changed: still no icons on the screen

Last edited by Edo81; 04-03-2015 at 03:17 AM.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:35 AM

2015 C300 4Matic
Anyone know how to SAVE a position using the "Finding a Location using Coordinates" process? I can easily make such a position, but cannot figure out how to save it as a Favorite. It's intuitive how to save other positions you've found, like addresses, but that function seems to be absent for saving a position you're found using coordinates. (Other than saving your current position once you've reached those coordinates)

Hopefully someone has found a work around without actually driving to that location and saving that!

Oh, I am also trying to figure out a way to save routes I've created.

Even if I have to do these two things out of the car, on my PC with the Garmin Map Pilot SD card installed that's fine. I use Garmin's Mapsource and Basecamp software all the time to do that, then download the routes and waypoints/favorites to my other GPS units (StreetPilots, Nuvis, etc)
Old 05-05-2016, 06:53 PM

C350e
I've got the SD card with the latest software and Map on it. V6.0 SW28.18. There is a folder with a poi called ECE_V15.0.gpi that came with the card. I added my own poi file called Garmin POIs.gpi So now there are 2 .gpi files in the POI folder. It doesn't recognise the one I added. How do I get it to work, anyone know?
Old 04-01-2017, 01:59 PM

C200 AMG Line (2015)
Originally Posted by zyxclaes
I have the Gamin Map Pilot in my car and i have loaded custom POI's with different icons and it works fine.

First, download "POI Loader" from Garmins website and install it, then:
1. Create a directory on your computer (for example "GarminPOI")
2. Copy/create the .csv-file, that must be in Garminformat, to the directory created above (for example Speedcams.csv)
3. Copy/create a .bmp-file (36x36 or 48x48 and 8bit color depth), to the directory created above (for example Speedcams.bmp). Note that filename of the .csv- and the .bmp-file must be EXACTLY the same but with different file extensions.
4. Start POI Loader software. Click next, choose Computer (radio button), click next. Choose your newly created folder (GarminPOI), click next. Choose the same folder again (GarminPOI). Name your file (for example Speedcams_redlight_camera). Click next. POI Loader now merges the two files in directory GarminPOI and creates a third file named Speedcams_redlight_camera.gpi
5. Insert your Garmin Map Pilot SD card
6. Copy the file Speedcams_redlight_camera.gpi (from GarminPOI on your computer) to the Garmin/POI directory on the SD card. The icon is embedded in the .gpi-file. You don't need to copy the .csv- and/or the .bmp-files.
7. Done

The above works for me.

Note that the Gamin SD card can have more than one .gpi-file in Garmin/POI-folder. Remember if it is a speed camera file (and want it to alert) the .gpi-file must have the word redlight or camera in it. Also, on Garmins website it states that the icons must be 24x24 in size, I haven't tried that size but 36x36 and 48x48 works.

Hope this helps.
Hi, I did exact the above but no icon appears in the map. Only sound and red bar at top and followed by camera at top left corner, but I cannot see where the camera on the map. I have to rely on checking the camera on the road to make sure I have passed in. Sometimes it may not be so apparent to spot the physical camera. I post one of my example bmp file if anyone could help.
Attached Thumbnails add POI into Garmin Map Pilot-gb-fixspeedcam.bmp  
Old 04-01-2017, 04:24 PM

C200 AMG Line (2015)
Just found this link in Garmin which explains how to create a POI files: http://www8.garmin.com/products/poil..._poi_files.jsp

In essence, the csv file may contain speed info in POI name (3rd column), e.g. Fixed Camera@30. @30 mean 30mph and Garmin knows this is an alert not a actual POI to navigate. If you approaching speed exceed the value, alert and sound appear on screen.

All working fine except I don't see the icon on the map. That links says 24x24 pixel with 8 bit colour. I did exactly that but still no show. Anyone can post a working sample for me to try out?