C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

DPF Regeneration...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W205 C220D AMG Line
DPF Regeneration...

Anyone else experienced this and been thrown into a blind panic?!

Did a relatively short journey this evening and noticed a fairly strong burning smell whilst waiting at the lights. Assumed it was another car and carried along my merry way - only realising when I stopped a few minutes later that it was my car (complete with faint smoke around the drivers side wheel arch)

Immediately opened the bonnet and got on the phone to MB... only to be told after a few minutes that it is "normal" and nothing to worry about. It seems the first DPF regeneration can be fairly pungent, but would normally be fairly unnoticeable on the basis that it occurs as you are driving. Have to say I'm not entirely convinced, but in the absence of any warning lights / loss of power and some reassurance I shall see how it goes.

Anyone else had similar?

Kelvin
Old 10-08-2015, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
Welcome to the world of modern diesels. Entirely normal.

Another reason I saved money on the car to offset going petrol.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C220 AMG Line Bluetech.
Yes, difficult to tell when the car will regenerate - and when it has started.

What I tend to notice is that it looks like the car has become very "smokey" from the exhaust - although the smoke is, in truth, more like a vapour, it dissipates very rapidly. Usually only lasts for a few minutes. Can't say that I get a "heavily" pungent smell at all - I would say it's more like the smell you get when you have really been caning the engine - a faint "hot" smell.

Yes, it is peculiar, but something I am well used to and a small price to pay for the improved MPG the modern diesel car gives.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W205 C220D AMG Line
Thanks for the replies guys - some needed reassurance!

Car was fine after this last night - took the long route home and no noticeable issues. Seems likely that this was all it was :-)

Kelvin