C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

MY2016 C300 removal of exhaust pop in Sport+

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 11:20 AM

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
2014 C300
MY2016 C300 removal of exhaust pop in Sport+

Alright this is for the C300 people not C450 AMG Sport people, I don't have any clue why some of you are losing your exhaust crackle.

So recently I've come across a few threads regarding the fart/exhaust pop sound on C300s and how some of you have it and some don't. I just took a 2016 loaner yesterday morning and found why the pop is gone.

I had a 2015 loaner last summer for over 2 weeks and put it through some extensive paces and confirm that it DID have an exhaust pop especially when shifting 2-3 and 3-4 under hard acceleration.

I did some googling and found an answer on Mercedez-benz-passion.com which is a really popular site. In this article regarding changes for the 2016 MY C Class I went down to the comment section in which the author of the article answers a couple of questions regarding the removal of the sport exhaust pop feature.

http://blog.mercedes-benz-passion.co...-von-mercedes/ (translate with google chrome or google translate as it is not in english)

I've screenshot the english translation of the comments and posted them below, please understand that google translate is not perfect but completely understandable:

As you can see Markus (the author) says that the original standard Sport Exhaust System (Code U21) has been REMOVED for the MY2016 and is no longer available on any model EXCEPT the C450 AMG Sport. In the second picture the guy says his car will be delivered in March 2016 as a 2016 model and Markus tells him the Bremmen/London plants have already removed it.

A little more research brought me to different forums which make a mention of this code being removed from the Sedan/Wagon but being standard on the C300 coupe or as an option in some markets as the "AMG Sports Exhaust" for C300 coupes. I don't know how definitive all of this is but it definitely could explain the absence of the pop which sounded more like the DSG fart on VW cars if anyone has ever driven one.
Old 05-06-2016, 03:11 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
2015 C300 Sport 4MATIC
Originally Posted by DapperStyle
Alright this is for the C300 people not C450 AMG Sport people, I don't have any clue why some of you are losing your exhaust crackle.

So recently I've come across a few threads regarding the fart/exhaust pop sound on C300s and how some of you have it and some don't. I just took a 2016 loaner yesterday morning and found why the pop is gone.

I had a 2015 loaner last summer for over 2 weeks and put it through some extensive paces and confirm that it DID have an exhaust pop especially when shifting 2-3 and 3-4 under hard acceleration.

I did some googling and found an answer on Mercedez-benz-passion.com which is a really popular site. In this article regarding changes for the 2016 MY C Class I went down to the comment section in which the author of the article answers a couple of questions regarding the removal of the sport exhaust pop feature.

http://blog.mercedes-benz-passion.co...-von-mercedes/ (translate with google chrome or google translate as it is not in english)

I've screenshot the english translation of the comments and posted them below, please understand that google translate is not perfect but completely understandable:

As you can see Markus (the author) says that the original standard Sport Exhaust System (Code U21) has been REMOVED for the MY2016 and is no longer available on any model EXCEPT the C450 AMG Sport. In the second picture the guy says his car will be delivered in March 2016 as a 2016 model and Markus tells him the Bremmen/London plants have already removed it.

A little more research brought me to different forums which make a mention of this code being removed from the Sedan/Wagon but being standard on the C300 coupe or as an option in some markets as the "AMG Sports Exhaust" for C300 coupes. I don't know how definitive all of this is but it definitely could explain the absence of the pop which sounded more like the DSG fart on VW cars if anyone has ever driven one.
I think the exhaust systems are the same from 15 to 16, and Mercedes coded the ecu in the 16's to not make the fart noise any more. In Europe there is an option sport exhaust for the C300, but we do not have that here nor have we ever. just my 2 cents. thanks for doing some research though.
The following users liked this post:
DapperStyle (05-06-2016)
Old 05-08-2016, 03:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
W205 C300
My 2016 c300 won't pop when it's in sport+. Thinking of doing a resonator delete to give it a little more oomph as I feel it's way too muted.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:03 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 C450
Originally Posted by Wkar275
My 2016 c300 won't pop when it's in sport+. Thinking of doing a resonator delete to give it a little more oomph as I feel it's way too muted.
Deleting the resonator would definitely make it louder, but expect some droning, which might drive u crazy
Old 05-09-2016, 09:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
W205 C300
Originally Posted by autopal
Deleting the resonator would definitely make it louder, but expect some droning, which might drive u crazy
That may be true but I can't imagine that much. From what I've heard the mufflers are what take care of the drone. The system looks fairly restrictive since there are 2 resonators in place. To the horsepower junkies I'm not looking for power I just would like it to sound a little more sporty, without paying $1200-2000 for a full exhaust.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:08 AM

2015 C300 Sport 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Wkar275
That may be true but I can't imagine that much. From what I've heard the mufflers are what take care of the drone. The system looks fairly restrictive since there are 2 resonators in place. To the horsepower junkies I'm not looking for power I just would like it to sound a little more sporty, without paying $1200-2000 for a full exhaust.
my friend did a resonator-only delete, and the thing drones like a b*tch on the highway
Old 05-10-2016, 10:25 AM

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
C300 4Matic Tenorite Grey
My understanding of the pop is that raw fuel is dumped into the exhaust through engine management to produce the pop. It doesn't require a sport exhaust and is programmed to only happen in Sports+ mode. My observation is that you need a shift to happen around 4000 RPM to get it. Winding it up way past 4K won't get the 'pop'.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:51 AM

2015 C300 Sport 4MATIC
Originally Posted by cidtek
My understanding of the pop is that raw fuel is dumped into the exhaust through engine management to produce the pop. It doesn't require a sport exhaust and is programmed to only happen in Sports+ mode. My observation is that you need a shift to happen around 4000 RPM to get it. Winding it up way past 4K won't get the 'pop'.
true. also, I get the pop even shifting at redline, although it is not as pronounced