Valve clicking noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts
E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
Originally Posted by Kostas20
Tried it last night, started it up let it run for a bit but no marked improvement. I couldn't take it out for a drive to see if it got better once it warmed up because we have a lot of snow here in Calgary right now and I try to limit the interaction with snow (salt).

But it was still the same, on start up and running for about 10 minutes.

This has been driving me crazy for a few months now.
Wanted to report back that after doing the ECU reset the ticking noise in my throttle body has not come back. I thought the noise was either a bad pulley bearing or valve problems, but every time I put an ear to the engine the sound was clearly coming from the throttle body area.

I have NO CLUE as to what happened to the throttle body to cause the clicking (it is a rebuilt TB that I just got after the OEM one failed at 100k miles) but after the ECU reset is miraculously is gone.

other than that, am running 112,000 miles and my c32 is still a beast with no major problems (besides the 6 month add of 1 quart of oil and the rear passenger door lock actuator wigging out but it still locks and all is good!).
Old 12-06-2015, 11:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 C32 AMG
I tried another round of fuel injector cleaner and hitting the highway after seeing Solo Wing's reply. Figured it was worth another shot.

Unfortunately, no noticeable change after a good 25 minutes of high revs. The only positive was that I ran into a C63 and had a bit of fun keeping up with him for a few exits before he left.

I have noticed lately that my supercharger bearing is definitely making a lot more noise than before. I heard it get a bit louder a while ago but it was only noticeable with the hood up. Now, just over the last few days, it is much louder. I wonder if the ticking noise is due to this, or at least the rough idle? I feel like the idle issue and the increased bearing noise have somewhat coincided. Just ordered a new bearing, will hopefully get it installed before I leave for Christmas vacation.

Might also change the supercharger oil since I have the bearing off. From my understanding, the oil screw is behind the bearing. Is that correct?
Old 02-02-2016, 07:13 PM

2003 C32 AMG
So I finally got around to changing my supercharger pulley bearing the other day. While removing the pulley I must have knocked the idler pulley beside it, because all of a sudden I hear metal dropping onto the concrete floor.

Turns out it wasn't my super charger bearing that was starting to go, it was my idler pulley. It literally fell apart from a slight knock and the bearings started pouring out onto the floor below. Wow am I glad it didn't break apart while driving!

I still replaced the supercharger pulley bearing since I had it off and the current one looked like it had logged a few miles.

While searching for the part numbers to replace the idler pulley I came across several threads of those whose pulleys had broken apart while driving. Our cars have 2 guide/idler pulleys and one tension pulley. From searching it seems like all three are suspect to go after less miles than one would suspect. I would definitely spend the 15 minutes it takes to loosen the belt and quickly give your pulleys a quick spin.

The car is much quieter now while running, although now the valve clicking noise is back into the spotlight as it is not drowned out by the bearing.

The bearings were definitely not an attributing factor (it was worth hoping for it to be that easy). I am now leaning towards my a dirty throttle plate being the culprit. There have been several threads of C55's with a hunting/rough idle that were fixed with a quick rub down of the throttle plate. I have the rough idle issue so here is hoping again. Not sure when I will get around to it, but will update once I do.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 169 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 GLK350 & 1992 190e sportline
Do yourself a favor and replace the top and bottom seal on the MAF housing while your at it.
Old 02-29-2016, 02:02 PM

2003 C32 AMG
Last weekend I got around to cleaning the throttle body, replaced the air filters as well. The throttle body was definitely in need of a cleaning as it was fairly gunked up on the face, edges and around the two pivot points. I gave it a good cleaning and it looks brand new again. I really focused on the pivot points as my assumption is that is what may have been sticking causing the rough idle issue. Thankfully the gunk was a dark soot texture, have seen pictures of some TB's with coolant or motor oil on them.

Results were good, but not what I had hoped. The throttle is definitely more responsive, but the rough idle was not fixed. I am leaning more and more to the fact that it is likely my motor/tranny mounts. Due to me not being able to do that as a diy - lack of lifting capability and garage space - I would like to rule out as many other potential causes before I spend the larger chunk of money on having them replaced.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? The car drives perfectly fine expect for the rough idle. It isn't anything too rough, but it bothers me because when I got the car almost 2 years ago I remember loving how smooth the idle was. With even just a low volume of music/radio you couldn't tell the car was even running.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2003 C32 AMG, 2015 RAM 1500 4x4, 2012 Merc GL450
rough idle

I've got the same issue, it only idles rough when I'm stopped with the brake on, if I put it in neutral it's smooth, I've replaced my motor mounts and transmission mount but it didn't change, ( they are really fairly easy to change yourself) let me know if you ever figure it out, I also thought maybe the fuel pressure was not strong enough so I changed the fuel pumps out and no change, good luck
Old 03-01-2016, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I've got the same issue, it only idles rough when I'm stopped with the brake on, if I put it in neutral it's smooth, I've replaced my motor mounts and transmission mount but it didn't change, ( they are really fairly easy to change yourself) let me know if you ever figure it out, I also thought maybe the fuel pressure was not strong enough so I changed the fuel pumps out and no change, good luck
did you use URO mounts? have you changed the fuel filter or cleaned the TB?
Old 03-01-2016, 01:32 PM

2003 C32 AMG
I thought about the fuel filter as well but ruled out based on the assumption that would effect more of the top end than the bottom end. Since I haven't noticed any power loss at WOT I doubt it could be that. I thought maybe my O2 sensors but no codes on them malfunctioning and with the torque app I get a reading from them. I recently also was looking into maybe my exhaust - specifically catalytic converter - being clogged but apparently that affects top end power as well.

I am thinking maybe it is time to change my plugs?? Since we have two plugs, would one plug going out be enough to cause a slight miss - not strong enough to engage a code but strong enough to cause a rough idle??
Old 03-16-2016, 12:11 PM

2003 C32 AMG
I noticed yesterday I am getting a humming/buzzing sound from my fuel filter. Maybe this is the cause of the rough idle - and potentially a long shot at the clicking - so I called my local dealership about price. It is reasonable enough for me to not have to diy it - being in a condo building parkade I would rather not jack up the car or have fuel draining out if I am not saving a good chunk of money by diy.

I recently heard back from my service rep and he mentioned that there is also a fuel filter on the engine of the car and in the fuel tank. I have researched the fuel system pretty heavily - my pumps went out a year ago - and I was not aware of this at all. Does any one else have any information regarding other fuel filter locations??
Old 03-16-2016, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

fuel filter on the engine of the car and in the fuel tank
I have not heard of this either. Also I did not do the filter on the 32 but every other one I have done has been under the car not in the tank.
Old 03-16-2016, 01:34 PM

2003 C32 AMG
Just heard back from the service rep after I questioned the fuel filter location and he admitted he mixed up the location. Doesn't instill a lot of confidence but he has treated me well in the past and I appreciate it when there is humility in mix ups. Dealt with an independent before that was extremely rude when i tried to tried to argue on fuel pump location - and I was right in the end - needless to say I don't go there anymore.

Anyway, have an apt. tomorrow for the fuel filter replacement. Will report back any improvements, hopefully!
Old 03-17-2016, 07:20 AM

02 C32 155K km
hello guys,
I have the same sound "tchic tchic tchic" on my C32. Asked one year ago for that the specific AMG tech of official MB dealer and he said it is a normal noise (no issue) coming from the Evaporation Valve

Here is a pic of the valve one another post:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...ml#post3580174

You can put your finger on it when it tchic thic tchic, ;-) you will feel the annoying frequency...

Probably changing the valve would be less noisy
Old 03-17-2016, 08:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

FroggyAMG you have a different problem and search would have lead you to this. It would also lead you to the answer. The tech is mostly right it is normal but not correct you can clean or replace it to get the ticking to stop.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:41 AM

02 C32 155K km
For sure, putting a long pipe on this valve clearly identify the provenance of my sound. But our C32s have several clicking noises

Just seen that last post on the C32/55 section and the first youtube videos sounds make me think about valve clicking noise .. Perhaps not the same pb here.

Thanks for the tip, i will first clean it if sound grows up ; actually it's not loud.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:03 AM

2003 C32 AMG
So the result of the fuel filter change was positive but not what I had hoped. I do feel like the cars throttle response has improved slightly - who knows how long the previous one was on there - but my idle has not gone back to "full smoothness."

The service rep said he would get a tech to take it for a spin and give it a quick once over to see if he could spot anything but said that further analysis would come with additional cost. When I picked up the car the tech said that I shouldn't worry about the idle or ticking as it is nothing serious and I could go down a rabbit hole of money trying to track it down, especially since there are no codes. He suggested I could keep looking for a small vacuum leak and he asked if i knew how long the spark plugs had been on there for.

I think this summer I will aim to replace the tensioner pulley, larger idler pulley - cautious about these after my smaller idler pulley disintegrated on me - and do a spark plug and maybe wire replacement.

Unfortunately for now, it looks like this issue remains unsolved.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

just because there are no hard codes doesn't mean that a full star report wont point you in the right direction. I thought my ABS uint was going bad but after reading the report I swapped the battery and the problems went away.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:02 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
C32 amg
Originally Posted by insame1
just because there are no hard codes doesn't mean that a full star report wont point you in the right direction. I thought my ABS uint was going bad but after reading the report I swapped the battery and the problems went away.
I had ticking noise and it was the belt tensioner, it shakes back and forth heard more when idling the spring in inside tensioner was gone.