C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Check oil level warning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 03:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 C32 AMG
Check oil level warning

When I am cruising on cruise control anywhere from 60KM/H for a extended period of time my check oil level light comes on.. if I'm driving for 30mins or so it will pop up a few times.

I know the oil level is fine.. every other time it reads fine and day to day driving with throttle fluctuation etc there is never a warning.

Any ideas? Faulty sensor? Does oil do funny things if the car is just cruising at a constant speed?
Old 09-11-2011, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Are you receiving a “engine oil level above max” warning in the MFD?

Any height in the sump above ~170 mm prompts the same admonition from mine on long cruises.
Note MBUSA reduced its initial 8.0 liter fill specification to 7.5 in an effort to ‘correct’ the issue. YMMV.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:14 AM

2001 C32 AMG
I forget exact warning will have to check next time it is about the oil level that is all I remember. My friend who used to be a Mercedes temp said not to worry and that it is about being slightly higher on longer drives too.. so sounds like you both are telling me the same thing, thanks
Old 09-12-2011, 03:15 AM

Mercedes C32 AMG
Good to know I've always wondered whether I should have 7.5 or 8 Q in the my car. I've always kept it at 7.5.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:26 PM

2001 C32 AMG
So I'm unsure now if it is overfilled or if it is under.

The error is just saying CHECK OIL LEVEL

It pops up a few times sometimes on a long drive. Firstly it was under certain conditions, now it is random. Everything else is smooth, my ORD reader shows everything else in check and no error codes to download so it is not stored.

When the car off the car says PERFORM SERVICE ON TIME. My service is only 2500 km away for a full service, should I add some oil now searching it may be a bit under or just wait until the service?

I'd hate for the sensor to be faulty or there be a lead but there is no signs/smell of one.