C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Saaboteur's C55

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
eclectic assortment of cars
Saaboteur's C55

Thought that I would put together a thread for my car. Not really a 'build' thread, as nothing wild will go on with the car, but I just want a single place to put various photos and such. I have threads for my other cars (see my sig) so I felt I should have one for the one I use the most!

Picked up my 2005 C55 in Diamond Black from a seller in the Calgary area (Chestermere, actually) in November 2011. The whole reason for getting it was that the nat asp 55 swap into my '99 C43 was having some issues. With winter approaching, I needed a daily driver (and whilst I drove my S2000 around all summer, I wouldn't drive that car in the winter - too hard on the roof and underside of the car, which is pretty meticulous).

I still have the C43, but I need to work on it some more. For deets of its issues, see the link in my sig! Fingers crossed I can get it sorted out soon.

Anyway, I looked at a few other options before I picked up the C55 - contemplated an S4 Avant. It would have been nice to have a wagon again - I had a Volvo V70 before - great for cargo, and of course AWD is great for winter. But I read about their engine out procedures for timing chain issues and that was that. Also contemplated an E39 M5 - but carbon build up issues worried me there. I didn't really want to get back into a Volvo or Saab, as once I had a German RWD V8 sedan, it was difficult to go back! So at that point I decided I would stick with Mercedes AMG. I couldn't get around the dash cluster of the C32, and I didn't want a supercharged V6, just a (potentially) more reliable V8. Budget kept me from a C63, so that meant C55. C63 next?

Looked at a few C55s online, drove one locally on a used car lot with high mileage. Too many issues with it, decided to pass. Eventually found the car that would be mine - three previous owners, two of them just briefly. Was hit before, but repaired by the right shop in town. I know a guy that works at the shop, so he pulled up the repair info for me (surreptitiously) and that calmed me down on worries too. All in good shape, no leaks, good to go!

Picked up a set of 17" AMG wheels with staggered winter tires from a CLK driver who wasn't going to winter drive his car anymore, and I was set. Only repair I needed to make was to order in a fender liner.

Here's some photos of the day I picked up the car, with the CLK wheels:

Drove it all winter, loved it except on days with lots and lots of snow - which were infrequent. Halfway through the winter, had to pick up a new set of rear tires.

Strangely enough, it wasn't until I was driving the car home in the evening sun that I realized the car wasn't obsidian black (like my C43) but was diamond black. Wow, what a colour! Love it more than obsidian black, as it has 50hp more than other colours. Kidding, it just looks cool as a dark navy blue in the sunlight, and black the rest of the time.

A few more photos from the first weeks of ownership. A previous owner had added the roof spoiler, and I like the look of that, so despite whining from some friends, I'm leaving it.

One selling feature for me was that the car came with an iPod adaptor already installed. With some help from the forums, I learned that it was a Dension unit. Tearing into the car later, I found it didn't have Bluetooth capability, so I added the Dension Bluetooth unit later.

My lovely wife picked up a set of door pins and surrounds from formymercedes.com for me for Christmas, and also an Affalterbach shift knob:

Took a few more photos on a clear winter day close to dusk:

And some in the garage:

When I ordered the new rear winter tires, I had to wait a week or so for them to arrive, so I ran the front 17" Monoblocks off my C43, with winter tires of course:

Sometime in February 2012 I clicked over 100,000km:

Picked these up off a forum member, brand new and never used. I think he had a spare set from when he did the retrofit to his E55:

The paddles haven't gone in yet, but just need to find a clear weekend!

And now that spring is (kinda) here, I have my 18"s back on, with Affalterbach centre caps:

That's it for now!! Just need some nicer weather for a clean, clay bar and wax.

Oh, and a link to my thoughts comparing the C43 to the C55:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...43-vs-c55.html

Last edited by Saaboteur; 04-26-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG and a 2004 Porsche Cayenne
Those door pins make me....

Old 04-26-2012, 05:07 PM

'05 C55
I completed the "paddle shift mod" about a month ago. It took some time to get the steering wheel bored out to properly house the paddle mechanism. Take your time. It's worth it in the end you can get a OEM look to it and they have a much better feel as compared to the plastic button. Much more positive feedback.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
I wonder if my C55 is diamond black? What's the color code?
Old 04-26-2012, 08:01 PM

Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts
Multiple
Great car sabo! I am not a fan of roof spoilers but yours looks subtle and nice. What brand/price?
Old 04-26-2012, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Old 04-26-2012, 09:40 PM

W209 55
Nice car. The center caps are a nice touch!

When I was looking for a C55, I went through 4 of them and couldn't find a good one

Love yours in black
Old 04-26-2012, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5
Not as nice as your C43 but... Just kidding Your C55 is truly a gem, LOVE the diamond black
Old 04-27-2012, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I pulled up the datacard on my car. Diamond black paint code is 768U. Best way to tell though is in the light. Dusk works well, that's when I first really noticed it. A friend saw my car for the first time on the highway at dusk when I was driving it home from picking it up and thought it was navy blue!

No idea on the make or price of the roof spoiler. I didn't get it, one of the previous owners did. Looks cool I think. Absolutely non functional I'm sure.

I think a slightly more aggressive set of wheels (offset wise) would do wonders to the look. Thinking Forgestar F14s, just in 18" though. Not yet sure on lowering. That would definitely set it off nicely, but I really love the ride the way it is and don't want to spoil that, especially as I drive it in the winter. The stock set up strikes (IMO) an ideal balance between street sport driving and comfort. The suspension is just lovely in the way it soaks up bumps but manages to maintain a sporting feel and control. The car is brilliant in that regard, in my view, and makes my C43's suspension (Bilstein Sport shocks and Vogtland lowering springs) feel vastly outdated and slow to react. Upsize wheels and higher spring rates might ruin the C55's balance for me. If I could find springs that cut it down 1/2" instead of more than 1" I'd be happy. Don't want to splash for coilovers - counting pennies to get a set for my S2000.

On that note, currently thinking coilovers by Fortune Auto - www.fortune-auto.net - no Benz applications, but they look like a very smart outfit, each shock hand built and dyno'd in the US. Plenty of the more popular 'tuner' applications, Japanese and German. If you have another car, check out their application list and give it some consideration.

Last edited by Saaboteur; 04-27-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:14 PM

2006 C55 AMG
Love the car!

But... -20C?!? You must be wayyyy up there in Canada
Old 04-27-2012, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Heh, you're reading it wrong, it was just -2*C that day in February, quite mild. But even if it was -20*C....that's just a typical winter day up here man!

I live in Edmonton. It's actually the furthest north major city in Canada - major being population of about one million people, including the surrounding metro area.

We actually got snow today. Out of an abundance of caution, I swapped the snows back on this morning before work. The snow turned to rain so it turned out okay, but you never know with snow. I will now take the opportunity to align the Affalterbach centre caps with the 'AMG' castings on the 18" wheels - my attention to detail / **** retentive car buddy noticed that the other day, so ever since he mentioned it, it's been bugging me!
Old 04-30-2012, 08:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Great story... great score too.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the comments guys.

Forgot that I had acquired a bunch of AZN Optics LEDs, as others have done. Very pleased with them. I now have them on all of our cars, gives the rear of the car that Euro snob look we all love. Just have to get some more to match up the front on our Land Rover too, and now I'm busy looking for all the other bulbs I can replace with the LEDs!

Jim - I hope you were never a member of the SS?!?

Here's a pic of the licence plate LEDs, comparison to the stock bulb:

Old 04-30-2012, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up

Gosh, what a huge difference a bulb makes there. Do you need to run a bigger fuse?

I'd be about 100 or so years old if I was in the SS !....and I am neither. Several of my father's cousins were Waffen SS soldiers...and they ALL died in combat in France as teenagers very early in the war. The words of their oath contain strong values not easily found today...
Old 04-30-2012, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The LEDs pop in with no modification necessary. They've been on the car for a few months now, no worries. AZN Optics has been active in the Mercedes forums for a while now too, I think generally speaking most people are quite happy with the product. I know I am!

During my undergraduate days, very long ago now in the late '90s(!), I minored in history, focusing on 20th century European. I did a few courses discussing **** Germany, plus of course my own reading on my own time. Always an interesting subject...
Old 05-03-2012, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

These just came in the mail today, only available to Private Lounge members - love it. Direct from Germany, the letter is printed on Euro spec A4 paper....

It's difficult to see, but they are official AMG Private Lounge Member stickers, with a fancy schmancy Affalterbach badge on it.

Last edited by Saaboteur; 05-03-2012 at 12:09 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
a land yacht.
How did you get those? I tried looking around on the Private Lounge forum and didnt see anything.....
Old 05-03-2012, 01:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Head to the 'community' area of Private Lounge, the forums. Search 'sticker' and that should show the search result with the thread with the relevant info.

The post says the offer was time limited to last year, but obviously it isn't. I sent away my info maybe two weeks ago and here they are...righteous of AMG to do such a thing.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:45 AM

jeep
thanks for sharing!
Old 05-03-2012, 10:11 AM

C55 AMG, E55 AMG
What size of festoon bulb did you get from AZN for your license plate lights?

I know Mike (AZN) will recommend 36mm, but actually 38mm fits better on my C55.

Originally Posted by Saaboteur
Thanks for the comments guys.

Forgot that I had acquired a bunch of AZN Optics LEDs, as others have done. Very pleased with them. I now have them on all of our cars, gives the rear of the car that Euro snob look we all love. Just have to get some more to match up the front on our Land Rover too, and now I'm busy looking for all the other bulbs I can replace with the LEDs!

Jim - I hope you were never a member of the SS?!?

Here's a pic of the licence plate LEDs, comparison to the stock bulb:

Old 05-04-2012, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I can't find my old invoice, but I just got what they recommended, and it's been working fine for a few months now.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:22 PM

2006 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by Saaboteur
Head to the 'community' area of Private Lounge, the forums. Search 'sticker' and that should show the search result with the thread with the relevant info.

The post says the offer was time limited to last year, but obviously it isn't. I sent away my info maybe two weeks ago and here they are...righteous of AMG to do such a thing.
did this last week!
Old 05-14-2012, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mounted one of mine onto the car last week:

The pegasus sticker is an old school Mobil1 logo, love the look, I have it on my S2000 too.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:21 PM

C55 AMG, E55 AMG
Originally Posted by XdelaforceX
did this last week!
Cool! I just signed up too.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Installed the 63 paddle shifters, and then wrote a DIY about it!

https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...ml#post5207456

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Saaboteur's C55